Incontinent Van................

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by SkippyGLI on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:20 pm

BAhhhhh, I went out last night to visit a friend/customer and because I was transporting paint rather than take the wifes car I took 'Rivet' and she very determindly let me down. I arrived at my friends place after about 20-25 minutes drive around the Devon lanes, only to note that the temp gauge was nearly all the way over to the right and as I switched off there was an awful gurgling sound along with steam rising from under the passengers seat... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad affraid OH S###, thoughts of a blown head gasket immediately came to mind, but I put that to one side and went off to see my customer (ever the proffesional me - more like looking to make money!!! Wink ) Anyway, while I was sorting out colours and design work I had left the fan running - mine is hard wired to a switch in the dash - to cool the engine as much as I could. Half an hour or so later, I filled the system up, remembering to remove the heater matrix bung as well while topping up, and then set off carefully to my next destination; Shed Night with the rest of the local MCC lads.

Some hours later I returned and having check for more leakage set off home, a distance of about 7 miles. By the time I got back, with the fan running all the time, Rivet had still managed to get hotter than I am accustomed to - obviously not good and in need of further investigation.

This morning:

Got up and sorted myself out, remembered last nights problems and groaned - another days production lost to working on the van............ Went out and wheeled out the tool kit, I set too and had the front end and bumper off asap - not hard really once you figure out where all the bolts are hidden. Having got that far I wondered back inside to the PC to have good look at the workshop manual PDF, apart from expanding very slightly on the coolant filling instructions its no more informative. Rivet started out life as a motorbility vehicle with a winch and aux heater unit in the back of the van.. As the winch was no use to me it got ripped out first off, and as the heater unit didn't work and was a potential problem waiting to leak coolant I remove it as well (sealing the feeder pipes under the passenger seat.

Rivet only started to over heat when I moved the heater controls, so drawing a conclusion from that I decided to investigate - what I found shocked me; a total bodge - and this is supposed to be for disabled people to use???? The aux heater system was set up as a spur off the main coolant lines, rather than being included in the circuit?????? To all intents and purposed just a bloody geat air lock, what a dumb idea!!!! Anyway I ripped it all out, but not before I realised that my rad was really on the way out and needed replacing as well, Oh goody.

A swift surf around ebay found one, from a supplier in the midlands, delivered within 3-4 working days (exclude today, and thats possibly next Thursday) no good at all! I rang around a couple of contacts and was quoted a smilar time scale and a similar figure. Stuff that, lets try getting it re-cored I thought??? I rang Exeter Radiators (who took over from Serks when they went out of business down here) and was quoted £120-£140 ready for collection Tuesday; not bad I thought and decided to go with them. I arrived , they remembered the call and then best of all pulled a recon rad off a shelf and handed it to me, so I didn't have to wait at all - RESULT, mind you it did still cost me £150+ but I do get to get my van back on the road a whole lot quicker. I've spent the rest of today sorting the bodge(s) and fitting the new rad etc.

Tomorrow - new coolant and a test run! Wish me luck Smile
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Re: Incontinent Van................

Post by leopard_pagan on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 pm

wee tip if your van starts getting hot...
whack on the heating system, put it on hot, blower on full blast and open windows so you dont cook your self!
the fans will suck the heat away from the engine and help cool it down.
i got stuck in traffic jam (fecking cars, wudnt happen if i were on a bike!)... engine on tick over and got hot after 5 mins..
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi I'm having similar probs with our van seems to be draging air in some where and keeps having "moments" but the guy I work with that came from womoco said today that they used to fit the diesel rad fan switch as it kicks in earlier he also mentioned there is/was a warrenty issue with the prop shaft and if you call womoco with your chassis number they can tell you if it has been done or not its something to do with the UJ's they were peened over and the replacement has circlips but apparently if not done it can be for free but I haven't checked this out to see if its still possable.

Rich.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Our van spits it's dummy out & overheats every now & then.
The worst time is when it goes for MOT & they have it revving for ages for the emmisions tests. I hard wired the fan last year & it still overheated. I think I'll try a new water pump next to see if that helps.

The propshaft on our van failed on us last year. loud thud, then vibrations like you can't imagine.
Limped it home, rang Daihatsu dealer & got it replaced under warranty free of charge. All it cost us was £20 to get it towed into the dealers.
Very Happy
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Well thats good to hear that a manufacturer still does warrenty on 15ish year old vans that blows Kias boast of a 7 year warrenty well out the water was the dealer local to you is so stick a link in the thread for part sources the more that are known the better.

Rich.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:33 pm

Sorry I worded that wrong. The propshaft was replaced under a safety recall.
The manufacturer is liable for the cost of parts & fitting. Much cheaper than the potential lawsuits that could ensue from a propshaft failure at speed.
We were impressed because the cost to supply & fit the propshaft is probably more than our rusty 1998 Hijet with 105,000 miles is worth. Smile
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Okay but its still good I know a lot of manufacturers that would have just told you it was lack of maintainance and you had to pay or go else where with older vehicles that are well out of warrenty safety recall or not.

Rich.

Last edited by rich the mechanic on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to type stuff)
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:00 pm

how can you find out if your van has been done?
is it certain models/year of vans?
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:10 pm

We got a recall notice through the post in November 2007.
If you contact a Daihatsu main dealer, they should be able to check their computer records to see if it's been done or not.
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Yeah the bloke I work with just said get them to check the chassis number and they could check to see if was done.

Rich.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Following on from yesterdays fun, I started bright and breezy today and got on with filling the van with coolant. The instructions on the sticker, stuck next to my rad, tell me to remove the cap under the seat, remove the heater matrix bung and slowly fill the system via the rad. There's also another sticker by the cap under the seat warning NOT to fill the system using this point........ So, thats just what I did, fill via the rad (not the bleed point). As soon as coolant wept out of the bleed point I replaced the cap and continued filling until the rad was full. As a matter of caution I also put a long piece of spare hose on the matrix bleeder so that any air/coolant could escape without covering me and the front of the van - fortunately none did.

Next it says 'run the van to temperature, until the fan kicks in twice???? It was extremely cold this morning and after 15 minutes of idling the van was still cold!!! So I decided to take it for a spin around the local 'circuit' (a mixture of A & B roads, plus a bit of dual carriage way) to see what happend. The van got warm, then a bit hotter, then hotter still, by the time I reached the dual carriage way I was begining to wonder if the thing wasn't going to really over heat and then without any warning the temp gauge swung back down just below half way and stayed there for the rest of the trip???? Was that an air lock clearing its self I wonder??

Anyway I got back to find a mate waiting for me to do some welding, so I left the van again on tick over on the drive way while I got on with the welding. I kept an eye on it and after about 10 mins or so it had begun to heat up again, up, up, up went the gauge until it was only a couple of mil away from the white bar when all of a sudden on came the fan. This was relief as one the 'modifications' the previous owner had made was to hard wire the fan by passing the thermoswitch (with hindsight this should have rung bells). Anyway as I said on came the fan, and it stayed on for all of 30 seconds, before going off again. I've had a similar problem with my bike when it got hot stuck in traffic in Holland.

It's nice to know the thermoswitch works, I just wish it would cut in earlier and stay on longer, so with this in mind I'm going to add a manual override to the fan so I can cut it in when I want i.e in heavy traffic or when the truck is underload towing etc.

I've just taken her out again for another run this afternoon, about 15-18 miles and fiddled with all the heater controls as well, the temp has stayed rock steady so I'm a happy teddy bear again, but I'm still going to fit the manual overide just to be on the safe side.

Next job is to recover the seat to match the door and trim panels Smile
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi I have a switch to overide the thermostatic switch as ours had been bypassed and the rad had a hole anyway got another rad with another switch which also don't kick in but the bloke at work says fit a diesel fan switch as it comes on earlier.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Aaaaarrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody van still overheating and looks like I have another leaky Rad! Anyone who has a 993cc old shape EFI van when the engine is hot whats the pressure like when you squeese the top pipe? I have the original pressure cap with this fitted I dont seem to get very much pressure and when it cools down it drags air in instead of water and I have a later cap that doesn't have the return valve with this fitted the pipe goes solid but then boils over and cant recover any water from the bottle. Help I'm rather getting the hump with it now we've had the van 5 months now and struggle to do 15 miles without any probs I've changed the rad, the head gasket and water pump. Water flows where it should.
Sad
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 pm

i do.. where is the top pipe? i'll check it when i get to work 8am ish.. had a few miles to warm up nicely by then
also bear in mind strength in my hands maybe less/more than yours....

also i have in my possession a manual over ride switch mod drawing.. but its done by hand. if anyone's willing to re-draw it in to something readable... i'll upload it/link it up
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi LP when you lift the left seat to get to the engine its the rubber pipe just infront of the pressure cap with my wrong cap I cant crush the pipe at all with the right cap its not a lot different to when cold.

If you want to PM the drawing over I'll copy it with Paint shop pro then save as a jpeg.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Rich,

I also have the same vehicle as you with a 1998 EFI CB42 engine. If I post up a photo tomorrow can you point out on it where you think you are getting problems?? And the pipe you want to squash etc. and I'll have scooby at mine for you.

Hard wiring the fan only involves discerning which of the wires you need to earth in order to make it run in the correct direction, as far as I'm aware its the same system as that on my bike i.e the whole system is live and its the thermo couple that completes the circuit to earth??? Anybody confirm that and know which wire I need to splice please??
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:42 pm

I have mine wired to a switch at the mo it's a temp bodge coz my rad switch is shagged I used some low power (twin single core) speaker wire and simply put a switch across the two wires that go to the rad switch and then ran the wire round the steel bumper and in through the door slam and cable tied the switch to the screen vent but for the final job I will splice onto these wires and run the twin wire into the dash properly that way I'm only bypassing one item. as for where my prob lies I'm not sure at the mo I might have a leaky joint or a leaky rad but don't know which cap I should use with my car I know what the pressure in the pipes should be but because I haven't had the van when it was running right I don't know if I should only have a little pressure build up or loads to be honest I've never seen a atmospheric pressure expansion pot and it seems oldhatshoe did away with it as well I want to put a pressured expansion on the van but need to use one of the correct pressure caps so not to over load the water system.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fupabox on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 am

While I'm not familiar with the 1.3 engine,it seems to me you have an air lock or a blockage somewhere in the cooling system...when you fill the coolant initially you should have the heater on full hot and the cap on..once it warms up loosen the bleeder nipple and let all the air bleed out(you may have allready done it this way but I figured I would mention it just in case)...have you completely removed the aux heating lines to the rear? if they are just blocked off they may as you stated before be making a big air pocket...have you tried running with the thermostat removed ? just to see if it may be a bad thermostat causing the issue

fupabox
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 am

Fupa,

Rich's van is the same as mine, i.e. a 1 litre not a 1.3! It has the added complication of EFI. I listed in detail the specified method of filling with coolant in a previous message on this thread - which worked for me, but I supsect I also had an airlock which cleared it's self when the thermostat opened.

Rich, there's a small piece in the Workshop pdf about our vans that mentions testing the coolant system for leaks using a pump to 17 psi. It really sounds to me as if you have a bloody great airlock somewhere in the system. Not being funny, but you are pulling off the matrix bung when you fill the rad aren't you???
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi I am filling it up how it says on the stickers and I have even had the thermostat out and checked it opens when it should. Just thought I can rig up a pressure test and see if the caps working by putting the load in at the heater matrix bleed point the one shown in the manual goes on the rad cap or the pressure cap but I think I can bodge it up to check what it should be like and whether or not the cap is failing or if I have a leak have also checked tonight that the head gasket hadn't failed a second time but fortunatly I don't have white oil which is always good. bounce I'm just getting a bit frustrated with it, it seems to sort its self out and get our hopes up that we can just use it then it plays up again and as its for carrying Clare stuff to shows all round the south east it needs to work and work well. bounce
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:33 pm

rich, you have email.... let me know if its any good
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi got the mail and had a quick look will have a good look tommorrow and see what I can do.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 pm

I think I might have found my latest problem I made a quick bleed/pressure test adaptor pics on http://richstoys.piczo.com/?g=44000889&cr=1 I'll put a fitted picture on there soon and as I was filling the rad up carefully without spilling any this time I noticed a dribble of water running off on the floor and when I looked under the bumper it was like a fountain so may need rad number three depending on what it looks like when I crawl under in some daylight. I feel better now I have found water getting to the outside rather than disappearing in the engine somewhere.

Last edited by rich the mechanic on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong web link)
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Made up my adapter and it works a treat for bleeding the heater matrix for me to find that the rad leaks still anyhow took rad off last weekend and fixed the leak Cool ran the van up to find the core to tank leaks on the rad as well so stuck a egg into seal that up then it wouldn't start and I checked the pressure at the matrix and it was over 24 PSI then took the plugs out to find them wet not with fuel but water Crying or Very sad spin the motor over and water sprays out so it'll be head off and a skim as it was close to the limit on warpage fingers crossed that will be the last of it and the van will run sweet and problem free but I'm not counting my eggs or chickens just yet.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:31 pm

egg in the rad, i always thought that was an old wives tail!
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:46 pm

So did I but having tried to poach eggs by swirling the water (not worked) the white becomes a sticky wet slop that dries on to the pan and sticks good and proper so I was willing to give it a go and my father in laws neighbour said it worked but he was the only person I could find that had tried it everyone else was "I've heard it works but never tried it" any way I wasn't going to try the other one which is to use a dog turd Exclamation
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:15 pm

According to my Dad, its not the whole egg you put in just the egg white - which is why so many people end up with scrambled egg coming out of the rad, but no toast to put it on Smile

It does work, I did it years ago when I got a cracked radiator while off roading in Germany during an exercise.

Dopg Turd!!!!! Never heard of that one.............. and as you say, not going to bother even if I do need to fix a leaking rad again. Sounds almost as gross as taking the hard wrapped droppings from a chickens arse, boiling it and then eating it!!! lol. Very Happy Very Happy
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Yeah I was told it was just the white but ended up with the yolk as well as the white wouldn't let go but still had to drain it all down and whip the head off again hopefully get the rest of the head stripped down this weekend and in to be skimmed early next week.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum