Starter Motor intermittant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Starter Motor intermittant

Post by PFM on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Posting this in case anyone else has similar problems (also as a reminder to self if it happens again!)

Whilst my 1995 S85 was off the road for MOT, the starter on the 1998 one finally gave up the struggle. (Both vans out at once, not been a good few days!) For some weeks you might have to turn the key between 2 and 6 times before it sprang into life, on the other times it sounded like a flat battery (which it wasn't).

To remove starter, disconnect battery and undo 12mm nut holding big cable to solenoid (worth giving the a spray of plus-gas or similar in advance). Remove 2x 12mm bolts holding starter to bell-housing and rock gently to loosen. Careful as you lower it, as there's a lead to the solenoid you can't see until this stage, which is on a push-on slide tab.

On the end of the starter (well, this type anyway) there are 2x 8mm nuts and 2x cross-head screws. Undo the screws first (I learned the hard way!) - they will be tight so make sure you have a driver that fits them well. I had to use heat on one of them. Undoing the 2 nuts allows the cover to come off, exposing the 4 brushes. I found that 2 opposite brushes had worn unevenly (one much more than the other) but after dismantling, freeing stuck brushes and cleaning them and the commutator, I was able to put it back and adjust the bush-carrying plate to try and compensate for the wear.

Reassembled, refitted, so far so good - starts every time. Am taking bets on how long it will last...any takers?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Re: Starter Motor intermittant

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Bet it out lives the van man!

Most things in life just need some attention and maintenance , big trouble normally start when people live with a problem but never sort it.

I think this is the overheating issue too. People just live with a little fault, which turns into running the engine dry where it cooks the gasket away. No fan over ride switch or radweld solves the issue, it just props up a failing system badly causing more serious remedial work.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for writing this, mine used to do the same but seemed to 'fix itself' the problem started again the other day, sometimes it feels like a dead battery so.etimes like a new car, going to try and clean it up and see if it works. Many thanks, not sure how many times I've said this but I love this site
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by altis on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:38 pm

When I had a similar problem it turned out to be the earth connection between the engine block and the chassis. Also check the connection from the battery to the chassis.

Use a voltmeter to measure across the suspect connection while you turn the key. Anything over, say half a volt, and you've found your problem.

altis

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:09 am

That's some sound advice thanks, I will be doing these tests before dismantling van Smile

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

Cheers
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:37 pm

https://youtu.be/DfLyh43iihM
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 pm

After all my voltage drop tests showed nothing, having the battery load tested with flying colours, cleaned the starter motor, tried to get better earths in various places, it all turned out to be the dam battery! It was a tiny little battery that my local shop assured me was the correct one. After looking on here I discovered an 063 battery is the golden ticket. Now my van starts like new! Smile Thanks
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top