Camshaft Sensor Problems.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Camshaft Sensor Problems.

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 pm

This is my first time on here, having registered about ten minutes ago. I have owned Hi-Jets since 2004 and still have my first one - an "S" reg 16v in bright red --- well it was when I bought it --- looks pretty dowdy now 45000 miles later and most of it on the Isle of Wight at that. Its coming up for !00,000 now and easily tops 90mph even when I put a Romahome body on the back. I have 9 other Hi-Jets to keep it company-- 2 tippers, 3 MPV 6 seaters, 2 vans and 2 Pick-ups besides the Red one. I bought an 02 plate pickup 7 months ago and it has -- er, had proved as reliable as my Red Beast. 3 weeks ago the starter packed up so I put another on and 3 days later that failed so put another on, then that afternoon the propshaft joint fell to bits so I put a prop on. The next morning I came out to start it and it was turning over ok but would not start. Checked for a spark and no spark. The fuel pump pressurises when I turn the ignition on. It was diagnosed as " the crankshaft sensor " but as it doesnt have one I figured it had to be the one on the back of the camshaft. I put another one on and away it went -- for two days-- then exactly the same thing-- so put another working one on robbed from one of the other vans and that wouldnt work at all. So I am now on the fourth sensor and scared to go out in it lest same should happen. It starts up and you drive somewhere and leave it all day or overnight and Bingo -- no spark or fuel obviously as the two are linked I believe. Has anyone of you Great Hi-Jet fans got any idea what the hell is going on or has come across this before cos I for sure havent got a clue. Hellllpppppppp PLEASE.( Woody 50.) My mobile is 07968 160015 or 07890 115010 if you care to contact me. You can text me and I will call you back to save your charges or email on this wonderful Forum. Many thanks ( in anticipation ) ,WOODY 50.

Back to top Go down

Re: Camshaft Sensor Problems.

Post by elfin girl on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:28 pm

10 hijets... Competition for HJ then! Can't help you with your problem but someone on here is bound to, do they all work or are you just hoarding for spares?! Very Happy
elfin girl
Cinquecento

https://www.facebook.com/bydonellamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 am

Hi Petal or is that two petals ---- Daisy and Don ? Thanks for your reply. 8 of them are running and two need some TLC I have 5 Hi-jets for spares thankfully and have already stockpiled spares from 4 others including a Disgusting Diesel and an "S" reg 3 cylinder but all the rest are 1300 16v's. I certainly hope that somebody can throw some light on this annoying problem. I have just been out in it and it is playing up on one plug now. I am going to rename the damn thing Jinx I think. I notice many refer to overheating problems and from my past years of Hi-Jet experience its usually down to airlocks. Bleed it properly and its usually ok although I have had numerous faulty new thermostats . When bleeding I have made a hose adaptor to fit the Radiator cap filler and the water pressure forces water into the heater matrix and pushes the air out of the air bleeder pipe back into the filler neck, then with the water still trained on the filler neck-- pop the cap on. works for me. Only had one head gasket in the 9 years and that was on the 3 cylinder one bless its little Italian Piaggio designer. Mussolini obviously missed shooting him. Look forward to any communications from my fellow members in the future, All the best, Woody50 ( and thats not my age by the way-- I am much more ancient than that. 50 was the year I was born ) No not 50 AD -- smart Alec !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:33 pm

What tells you its the crank shaft sensor?

Is it a dual coil pack one or a multi coil one? Does it have an obd-1 diagnostic socket under the dashboard under the steering wheel?

They give you a cam sensor error if you try to start it but the starter motor doesn't succeed in turning it over.

Jinx sounds about right, I know that feeling!

I have had faulty brand new thermostat issues too. Your not alone.

Your bleeding method sounds identical to mine.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Welcome Woody - sound like the I.O.W. has more Hijets per square mile than anywhere else in the UK with you collecting them! We've also had The Magic Bus from your patch on here, though not heard much lately.

Sorry I can't help with your problem (my 2 runners and one spares van are all 993's) but am sure that HJ, Rich and others will help you solve the issue and that you can help others in turn in the future.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Another young whippersnapper then? Wink

Welcome.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Thank you all for your replies and for your welcome. Funnily enough Highly Jetted the Isle of Wight DOES have the highest number of vehicles per head of population FACT. Its also got the highest number of lazy beggars per head of population too I reckon. 26% of the male population are unemployed and 95% of the 26% are UNEMPLOYABLE. But I love living here. Been here since 1974 and very few places I would want to live other than here. Right, Jinxed 02 plate pickup and thus 4 coil packs . It has been diagnosed using the multiplug under the dash yes --- 3 times now. so any suggestions or firsthand experience would be gratefully recieved. many thanks, Woody 50.

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:15 pm

I'll be no help on this as only have 993cc but your more than welcome.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Thank you Logi for the welcome. most kind. Another old Fart like me then-- though at least you have got your pension. I have got a few months yet. Mind you the Bus pass is handy with the reliability of the Hi-Jets and free prescriptions too for Anti-depressants for the same reason !!! Regards Woody 50.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:33 pm

What's the actual error code your getting, something tells me the definition list being used is possibly incorrect because your getting a Crank sensor fault code, which as you've guesses is somewhat improbable!

There is code P0335, which is called crankshaft sensor error, but it then describes it as being the cam sensor.

I would also have a look at the electrical connectors if you keep getting the same errors, maybe one of the multi plugs somewhere in the loom/ecu etc are being a bit rubbish.

How do your removed cam sensors test out? Do they still show the correct impedance?

Use this list:-

Codici diagnotici
Failure code diagram specifications
SPECIFIED CODES OF THE ISO/SAE STANDARDS
For further information related to single codes, refer to the failure code diagram.

Diagnostic failure code: P0105
Failure detected:Manifold absolute pressure/ barometric pressure circuit malfunction
Affected area
- Interrupted or short-circuited cable in the manifold absolute pressure sensor
- Manifold absolute pressure sensor
- Engine electronic control unit (ECU)

Diagnostic failure code: P0110
Failure detected:Intake air temperature circuit failure
Affected area
- Interrupted or short-circuited cable in the intake air temperature sensor
- Intake air temperature sensor
- Engine electronic control unit

Diagnostic failure code: P0115
Failure detected:Engine coolant temperature circuit failure
Affected area
- Interrupted or short-circuited cable in the water temperature sensor circuit
- Engine coolant temperature sensor

Diagnostic failure code: P0116
Failure detected: Engine coolant temperature/functional problems
Affected area
- Cooling system
Diagnostic failure code: P0120
Failure detected:Throttle switch circuit/pedal position sensor/switch "A" failure
Affected area
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the throttle position sensor circuit
- Throttle position sensor
IS - 414PORTER 1.3 16V
Iniection System

Diagnostic failure code: P0130
Failure detected:Oxygen sensor circuit failure (bank 1, sensor 1)
Affected area
- Air intake system
- Fuel pressure or Injector
- Interrupted or short-circuited cable in the front oxygen sensor Heater circuit (O1).
- Oxygen sensor heater

Diagnostic failure code: P0135
Failure detected:Oxygen sensor circuit slow response (bank 1, sensor 1)
Affected area
- Air intake system
- Fuel pressure
- Injector injection
- Interrupted or short-circuited cable in the oxygen sensor heater circuit.
- Oxygen sensor heater
- Engine electronic control unit (ECU)

Diagnostic failure code: P0135
Failure detected:Oxygen sensor heater circuit failure (bank 1, sensor 1)
Affected area
- Interrupted or short-circuited cable in the oxygen sensor circuit heater.
- Oxygen sensor heater

Diagnostic failure code: P0136
Failure detected:Rear oxygen sensor circuit failure (O2) (bank 1, sensor 2)
Affected area
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the rear oxygen sensor circuit heater (O1).
- Rear oxygen sensor (O2)

Diagnostic failure code: P0141
Failure detected:Oxygen sensor heater circuit failure (bank 1, sensor 2)
Affected area
- As failure code P0135

Diagnostic failure code: P0171
Failure detected:Fuel trim system too lean (lean air-fuel ratio failure, bank 1)
Affected area
- Air intake (pipe loosened)
- Fuel duct pressure
IS - 415Iniection System
- Injector locking or leakage
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the oxygen sensor circuit.
- Oxygen sensor
- Gas leak in the exhaust system
- Vacuum switching valve for vapour bleeding

Diagnostic failure code: P0172
Failure detected:Fuel trim system too rich (lean air-fuel ratio failure, bank 1)
Affected area
- Air intake (pipe loosened)
- Fuel duct pressure
- Injector locking or leakage
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the oxygen sensor circuit.
- Oxygen sensor
- Gas leak in the exhaust system
- Vacuum switching valve for vapour bleeding

Diagnostic failure code: P0300
Failure detected:Random/multiple cylinder irregular ignition
Affected area
- Ignition system
- Injector
- Fuel pressure
- Compression pressure
- Adjustment valve clearance of valves
- Ionic current sensor
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the engine wires
- Connector connection

Diagnostic failure code: P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304
Failure detected: Irregular ignition
- Cylinder 1
IS - 416
PORTER 1.3 16VPORTER 1.3 16V
Iniection System
- Cylinder 2
- Cylinder 3
- Cylinder 4
Affected area:
- Ignition system
- Injector
- Fuel pressure
- Compression pressure
- Adjustment valve clearance of valves
- Ionic current sensor

Diagnostic failure code: P0314
Failure detected: Single cylinder irregular ignition (cylinder not specified) (EU standards)
Affected area:
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the engine wires
- Connector connection

Diagnostic failure code: P0335
Failure detected: Crankshaft position sensor circuit "A" failure
Affected area:
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the cam angle sensor circuit
- Cam angle position sensor
- Rotor signal

Diagnostic failure code: P0420
Failure detected: Catalytic converter efficiency below the threshold limit
Affected area:
- Three-way catalytic converter
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the oxygen sensor circuit (heated).
- Oxygen sensor (heated)

Diagnostic failure code: P0443
Failure detected: Vapour emission control system - bleeding control valve failure
Affected area:
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the vapour vacuum switching valve circuit
- Vacuum switching valve for vapours

Diagnostic failure code: P0500
IS - 417PORTER 1.3 16V
Iniection System
Failure detected: Vehicle speed sensor failure
Affected area:
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the vehicle speed sensor circuit.
- Instrument panel
- Vehicle speed sensor
DAIHATSU MOTOR CORPORATION CODES

Diagnostic failure code: P1105
Failure detected: Barometric pressure sensor circuit failure
Affected area:

Diagnostic failure code: P1300
Failure detected: Ionic system failure
Affected area:
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the ionic system circuit.
- Ignition unit
- Ignition coil (all cylinders)
- Spark plug (all cylinders)

Diagnostic failure code: P1510
Failure detected: Start-up signal circuit failure
Affected area:
- Interrupted wire in the start-up signal circuit

Diagnostic failure code: P1520
Failure detected: Switch signal circuit failure
Affected area:
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the C/A switch circuit
- C/A switch
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the throttle valve sensor circuit
- Throttle valve sensor
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the neutral starter switch
- Neutral starter switch

Diagnostic failure code: P1560
Failure detected: Electronic control unit protection power supply circuit failure
Affected area:
- Interrupted wire in the electronic control unit protection power supply circuit
IS - 418PORTER 1.3 16V
Iniection System

Diagnostic failure code: P1667
Failure detected: Exhaust gas recirculation system control valve circuit failure
Affected area:
- Interrupted or short-circuited wire in the circuit of the vacuum switching valve for EGR
- Vacuum switching valve for EGR
FAILURE-FREE FUNCTION
If one of the following codes are detected, the electronic control unit enters the failure-free mode allowing
the riding of the vehicle with complete safety. If the failure is indicated regularly, the failure-free com-
mand is deactivated. The diagnosis results remain anyway in the memory. It is therefore necessary to
determine if the failure is still there or not.

FAILURE-FREE SPECIFICATIONS

failure codes-1, failure code No. P0105:
Failure detected:When the signal sent by the inlet manifold pressure sensor indicates there is an
interrupted or short-circuited wire.
Failure-free operation:
- The signal sent by the inlet manifold pressure sensor is set to the value established by the throttle
opening angle, engine speed and ISC opening angle
- Ignition timing is set to be controlled according to the pressure determined by the engine speed and
by the above-mentioned value.
- The fuel supply is interrupted if the throttle opening angle and the engine speed exceed the respective
set values.

failure codes-2, failure code No. P0110:
Failure detected: When the signal sent by the intake air temperature sensor indicates there is an
Interrupted or short-circuited wire.
Failure-free operation:
- The signal sent by the intake air sensor is set to a constant value

failure codes-3, failure code No. P0115:
Failure detected: When the signal sent by the engine coolant temperature sensor is open or closed.
Failure-free operation:
- The signal of the engine coolant temperature sensor turns into a constant value.

failure codes-4, failure code No. P0120:
Failure detected:When the signal sent by the throttle position sensor indicates there is an Interrupted
or short-circuited wire.
Failure-free operation:
- The signal sent by the throttle position sensor turns into a constant value.

failure codes-5, failure code No. P0136:
IS - 419PORTER 1.3 16V
Iniection System
Failure detected:When an abnormal situation is detected in the signal sent by the rear oxygen sensor
Failure-free operation:
- The rear oxygen sensor return is blocked.
- The correction coefficient of the rear oxygen sensor return is set to the value determined by the engine
speed and by pressure.

failure codes-6, failure code No. P0136:
Failure detected:When the signal sent by the atmospheric pressure sensor indicates there is an In-
terrupted or short-circuited wire.
Failure-free operation:
- The signal sent by the atmospheric pressure sensor is set to a constant value.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Camshaft Sensor Problems

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Thank you Highly Jetted. Havent got the gear to test the 3 supposedly dead ones out ( so have to borrow) but will put them back on a runner to check if it is that. Funnily enough this afternoon I was thinking about wiring loom conectors or broken wires as the Jinx was juddering under acceleration and deceleration for a short distance as I drove off from a mates place though could be air flow meter but it hasnt done that for some time. Blooming Trucks !! Cheers. Woody 50.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Not that I've touched a later model version like yours, I'm pretty sure they don't have a mass air flow meter, I think they use the MAP sensor, TPS sensor and IAT sensor physics/mathmatics method to calculate air intake volume which is pretty much bomb proof unlike those pesky hot wire MAF sensor units you find on all those crappy Bosch engine management cars like fords, vauxhals, and german crap. Them bloody MAF units stop working just by taking them off, putting them down, and refitting them. The air sensing wire inside is so delicate.

If you don't own a multimeter then buy one, they are cheap as chips and worth their weight in gold with all the electronics on your average modern car! Try this:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-52320-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B0001K9UZA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1359932303&sr=8-6

or this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Testing-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B003NEGZLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359932303&sr=8-1

From the sounds of the ramdom juddering, you must have a silly little fault somewhere, which is probably connected to your mystery " weird cam sensor issue"!

I'd be tempted to buy yourself some sort of OBD2 fault code reader too as you'll waste more time borrowing someone elses than it would cost you to buy one. I have this one which works great on everything I've used it on, getting on for about 50 different makes and models. Not the very cheapest but it has lots of trick functions like giving you live data from the sensors so you can see what the ECU see's from the speedo, sensors, exhaust gases etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VgateScan-Reader-Scanner-Protocol-Diagnostic/dp/B008DO5LG8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359932623&sr=8-4
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top