Further Education

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Further Education

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 am

Anyone here have any experience of further/higher education in engineering?

Been doing a Btec level 3 in Electro Mechanical Engineering for the last 18 months and about to finish it.

Thinking of doing the HNC/HND for next 2 years. Maybe top it up to a B Eng afterwards.

Tuition fees alone are £5k a year, let alone living costs Crying or Very sad

Can't help but wonder should I bother?! Will I get any better work on the other side of it.

Anyone got any opinions?
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Further Education

Post by rich the mechanic on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Right I am a qualified (apprenticeship) mechanic level 3 nvq with a further nvq level 2 foundation in mechanical engineering (fabrication) and I do a job that I had no previous training in, the work is fine but the prick I work for isn't, my opinion is do the course to learn the skills you want and if you are happy doing whatever it is you do and the pay is alright keep on at it Cool
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Can you be bothered with learning new things? Feel like starting at the bottom again? The trouble with starting afresh is the questions. When i started doing the aircraft refuelling i found the one thing that got to me was questions. I had been used to answering them, not asking them. Sure i was still driving a wagon, but had to do radio courses, learn about sg of fuel, additives, cleaning filters, recording of data, water testing, and loads of paperwork.
Best of all, i didn't stick at it...

But, you're always better to try and fail than failing to try. Worst thing would be in a few years wondering "what if" Question
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 am

I get the questions point, I used to be the boss/decision maker a few years back, now I'm a lone ranger but people still call me all the time. Could I handle the inferior level? Depends on the mentor I work under I guess.

My worry is I don't want to end up like my dad. I get the impression you wake up one day at 50 years old with your knee's giving up and still nothing to fall back on as a cushy number.

I'm an uneducated delinquent, and my CV is very patchy to say the least! I haven't had an employer for years, and even then it was only a few months here and there.

Truth is I don't know what to do with my life, I currently live one job/deal to the next. Not because it's what I want but because I tend to make more in a week or two than I ever did in a month at any previous job. Then I get no work for a week or two, then something pops up.

A nice job doing something with automotive electronics would keep me pretty happy as long as they payed me £25-30k a year minimum.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:26 pm

You have the van already why not go legit and advertise especially if you are happy to do a full rewire and if you include bikes then there is a whole market of classic restorations, at the moment people seem to be putting their money into old bikes and cars probably safer than the bank.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top