Temperamental Speedometer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Temperamental Speedometer

Post by fleurjon on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi there

I've had my hijet for about 9 months and have just started finding out all their little quirks. My speedometer is very temperamental and tends to stick at 20mph but then occasionally decides to work. Also my fuel gauge does not work at all. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated, is this something I can fix myself, bearing in mind my mechanic skills stretch about as far as changing a tyre.

Fleur

fleurjon

Back to top Go down

Re: Temperamental Speedometer

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Sticky speedo is probably the cable but maybe the speedo head it all comes apart fairly easy but be wary about refitting the needles they do not have lower stops on the mechanisms so be sure where you put them back on if you pull them off but you don't need to to give the other side a wipe over and check they move freely and the fuel gauge could be the gauge or it could be the wires rotting away or the sender unit it will mean a little investigation I'm sure HJ will correct if I am wrong but if you trace the wires to the connectors behind the clocks you could power up the gauge and also check for power signal from the sender.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:54 am

I've tried to test the fuel gauge on my pickup with little success, but I'm not sure if it was because the guy before me had tried to "test out the gauge" and burnt out the coil winding in the needle. From what I can tell on my pickup, the float in the tank is dead which you can buy brand new float units for about £20 - and I think my gauge is dead. And to top it all off the wiring has be butched and re-butchered a few times.

You can test the float if you can get your multimeter on the wire that come out of the tank. It should have a varying resistance with the fuel level.

And you should be able to test the gauge with a power source and a resistor, the size of the resistor I don't know but I could perform some experiments with my daily runner van if you are serious about testing it.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top