Washer problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Washer problems

Post by MattS on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 pm

On a quick check of my new hijet I have discovered that the windscreen wash does not work on either the front or the back, when I press the switches I can hear both the front and rear motors working but nothing is coming out. I'm assuming that there is probably a blockage somewhere and I was hoping to get some advice on how to clean out/drain the system?

Also the rear wiper isn't working. It's not the motor as I swapped the connector with one of the licence plate bulbs and it came on, I know round the rubber connector is a typical point for the wiring to go but I cant see any obvious wear. Are there any other typical points for the wiring to go?

Cheers

MattS
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Re: Washer problems

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes it's very common,

The hose for the front goes sort of below your feet, then up through the floor next to the heater on the drivers side behind the carpet in the corner and up under the dash board.

It often kinks in the bit in the van near your feet, pull back the carpet and inspect...

What I did was remove the whole washer bottle and give it a good wash out and pump some clean water through it. Then I un-clipped all the hose and fed it back into the van so I could see as much as possible, then tested it out with some nice hot soapy water in the bottle all loose.

The rear pipe goes through the metal bit above your head when you get in the sliding door. Its a long pipe run. I disconnected it at both ends and blew compressed air through it and it started to work again.

From memory the rear wiper electrics work like this:-

Battery live from ignition switch goes to:-
Wiper/indicators fuse 15a:-
Goes to rear wiper motor live connector:-
Goes to the switch on the dash:-
Goes to body ground.

So the wiper always has a permanent live as long as the key is turned on. And the switch provides a ground for it.

So test out if you have the live in the tail gate, and if you get a ground from the switch, and if not test out the switch by popping it out.

Good luck Smile
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:03 pm

The washer problem could well be the jets themselves if you have water and the motors run. Can usually be cleared with a straight pin (not a safety-pin, they're a bit thicker)

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:49 am

The 993cc van the hose run is different I had a blockage in our rear pipe and in the end put 90PSI down it and the crap that came out in the end was like snot.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Hmmm? My rear washer pipe comes along underneath and up?
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Wonder if this one has been altered? I'll have a look at my white one.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for all the info

I'm going to admit that car electronics aren't my strength but this has me really stumped. I've cleaned the water tank alongisde removing a TON of green crap that was blocking the inlets to the motors, plus unblocked the hoses with a bike pump so everything should work okay now. Except that on reconnecting the motors the one for the front windscreen no longer switches on. I've swapped the motors and they both work when connected to the rear window switch and when disconnected from the motor the connector for the front shows 12V across it when the front switch is engaged. I have absolutely no idea why it doesn't work. I've even tried swapping the wires round in the connector just in case the polarity was wrong (which doesn't even make sense as the motor worked before disconnecting it). Any ideas for what to try next?

For the rear wiper I've tested the circuit and it seems that there is a break somewhere between the fuse and the live connector in the gate, as I said I cant see any wear around the hinge, does anyone know what route it takes or if I can get to it at all to find the break? otherwise I might have to run my own cable somehow

MattS
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:24 pm

The wire for the rear wiper can be found going up behind the where the rear light cluster is on the passenger side of the van. You can gain access to it by removing the rear "door car" from just above the back wheel on the passenger side.

If you unplug the cable of the motor, undo all the cable tidies from inside the cable tidies

Then you can pull the whole cable from out of the tail gate via the rubber boot thing near the hinge.

Then you can pull the whole cable back down the van from behind the "door car" mentioned above.

(when I say "door card" - there is no door, just a card, and its above the wheel arch, on the inside of the van, on the passenger side. If you get me!

Feeding the cable back though is the hard bit, and it helps if when you are taking the cable out, you tie a bit of string to it, and pull that through behind the cable. Then you can pull the cable back through via the string.

As for the pump on the front washer jets, maybe the spades in the connector isn't grabbing the male spades on the pump properly.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks to people who contributed to this thread, i managed to fix my rear jet thanks to you Smile kink in pipe by the reservoir. love this site Smile
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top