front window washer problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

front window washer problem

Post by cobbydale1020 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi all

I`m a first time Hijet owner, recently bought an MPV with the intention of turning it into a summer camper.
The guy I bought it from said he had just replaced a faulty wiper mechanism, what I didn`t realise was he had not reconnected the washer feed pipe. The washer has not worked since I got the van, having followed a lead on the forum I found and checked the hose from the washer bottle up under the dash, when I gently pulled it it fell down into the footwell.
Do I have to pull out all the dash to be able to reconnect the pipe and sort out the washer nozzle as this is loose.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cobbydale

cobbydale1020

Back to top Go down

Re: front window washer problem

Post by PFM on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi and welcome. Can't answer your Q, sorry, never had to do it but someone will be along soon to give you a clue I'm sure.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:42 am

Never had to do it myself either --- only when I have completely gutted a van for spares thats when that comes off. 
Unless anyone else has a better way, I would remove the washer jet from the front panel and attach a new length of washer hose and try feeding it BACK DOWN the inside untill you can grab it ( I have one of those very handy spring loaded 4 claw tools by Snap-on )whatever you try I expect it will be fiddly and either put a plastic connector in or go all the way to the washer bottle.Probably the best idea, then you dont have a manky old hose letting bits of crud off the inside of it.

As you washer jet is loose it sounds like somebody has had a go at Gorillaring it off. May need 
new one or my old standby of a little dollop of polyurethane sealant ( Wurth, Tiger Seal etc. )
to keep it in place. 
Hope this has helped or perhaps HJ or Rich or someone else may have a better idea or already 
tackled the same problem. Good luck anyway, Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by cobbydale1020 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:04 am

Hi and thanks Woody for your help and ideas, sounds like a better option than pulling apart something that’s working fine i.e. the entire dashboard just to refit a washer hose, never occurred to attack it from the outside in and worth a try at least. Glad I found you all, have worked on cars as an amateur all my life but never owned anything as quirky as my Hijet but it does put a smile on my face.

cobbydale1020

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:08 am

I thought about pulling the jet off, sending a bit of string down the hole with a little nut tied on the end, then go fish it out under the dash - then tape your pipe to the string and pull it back up.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by cobbydale1020 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:17 am

Thanks Highly Jetted, Fishing is one of my favourite pastimes to which I have now added crawling about in and under a Hijet, will give both yours and Woodys suggestions a try. Will let you know the outcome, as I said, Its got to be better than pulling apart the dash.

cobbydale1020

Back to top Go down

Post by cobbydale1020 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks for the welcome PFM and you were right, a great group of friendly helpful people.

cobbydale1020

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:21 am

It is a wonderful friendly Forum we have here and a wealth of experience from right across the board with several Very knowledgeable Hi-Jet mechanics who really go out of their way to help with great advise and even practically too.

Stay glued to the site.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:29 am

Just looked at you vital statistics and you're an even older Old Git than ME. Company at last. 
Logi is old enough to be our Dad though ( well not LEGALLY old enough )EmbarassedEmbarassed ..........

He's bit of a lad now--- Goodness only knows what he got up in HIS Teens---- I know what I got up to isn't printable even on this Broadminded Forum. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by cobbydale1020 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:32 am

Wotchu tryin to say Woodie, I`m only a lad and so are you, but thanks for the welcome and god bless the sixties and all who sailed in em!
Glad I found the site I`d be lost without it!

cobbydale1020

Back to top Go down

Post by cobbydale1020 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:34 am

Forgot to add gonna go out and tackle that washer hose now, deep joy?

cobbydale1020

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:03 pm

cobbydale1020 wrote:Forgot to add gonna go out and tackle that washer hose now, deep joy?

Well it will be when you have succeeded . Think Positive . We Old Farts are made of sterner stuff. Stiff upper lip and--- all that garbage.confused

Back to top Go down

Post by cobbydale1020 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi all,

Thanks to Woody and High Jetted have sorted out the washer pipe problem.
Local Unipart didn`t have any hose so got some from pet shop, same size pipe is used for aquariums.
Did as you both suggested, ripped off the washer jets, then delicately? fed a carved up coat hanger through to footwell, taped on new pipe and pulled through gently, pushed onto jets and glued in with a Uni bond grab sealer from screwfix, nobody up here stocks either tiger seal or Wurth but that stuffs did the job a treat.
Was going to run entire new pipe as per your suggestion but having traced the pipe through under the van, it seemed as I would have to drop out the engine to get at the washer bottle (devious Japanese) so I carved up a gel pen and used the tube to join old and new in the footwell and now have washers working a treat. Beat hell out of pulling out the entire dash
Thanks Fellas

cobbydale1020

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 pm

cobbydale1020 wrote:[left]it seemed as I would have to drop out the engine to get at the washer bottle (devious Japanese) 

Nahh, bottle comes out really easy, held in by 2 or 3 10mm bolts.

Might have to take the little coolant overflow bottle out thought to get better access.

But water under the bridge! Glad your quirting happy Wink
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm

I should have a proper pipe joiner if you can be bothered to do it or gel pen trick gives up.
Can pop it in the post to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by cobbydale1020 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks to you both for your help and advice, spent half an hour looking with torch and couldn`t even find or see a fixing bolt so gave up in exasperation.
Thanks for your kind offer Woody but the struggle I had to push fit the hoses on coupled with a wrap of tape around should hold it for the rest of my lifetime.
Bought the van in February when it was nice and cold and made sure it didn`t overheat, drove it home about 50 miles over the Pennines through worst storm of the Winter, thunder, lightening, and heavy gusting wind, and found out what a great stable motor they are, interesting?. Anyway put it on the road in May and now the weather is warming up it running warmer than I would like so have fitted two new rad caps and today gonna tackle the coolant system, empty, test, fit new clips, flush and refill as per your guidance HJ, Thanks for the help and effort you put into that write up.
I would like to reach the stage where I can get away with the van before what we call Summer up here dissapears.Very Happy

cobbydale1020

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top