Front wheel bearings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Front wheel bearings

Post by rich the mechanic on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:20 pm

I have been having probs with one of the front axle nuts coming undone I think the wheel bearings are on the way out but it did Somrset and back over the weekend for a little break just had to take the socket and breaker bar to do it up everyday I have had a little play and don't seem to have any float in the bearings but they don't feel as smooth as I would like does anyone know the bearing number so I can see if I keep them at work and to save me taking it all to bits to find out and put it back with the old ones.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Re: Front wheel bearings

Post by d1noh on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 pm

Wasn't there a recall on front hubs nuts?
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Reference : R/2005/054
Make: DAIHATSU
Model : HIJET
Launch Date : 16/08/2005
Numbers Involved : 7643
Recall Details Concern : FRONT HUB NUTS MAY BE INCORRECTLY TORQUED AND COME LOOSE.
Description : Improper torque control has led to the possibility that the front hub nuts could become loose and cause vibration.
Remedial Action : Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and check the hub nut torque. Additionally any worn or damaged components will be changed.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:13 pm

How long are recalls valid for? Surely there's a limit?

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Little Black Van wrote:How long are recalls valid for? Surely there's a limit?

My 51 reg van recently had a propshaft replaced under warranty Twisted Evil 
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Two years ago my "S" reg pickup had a prop recall and got a shiny new one which astounded
me I must say.
On the subject of the wheel nuts coming undone I have had it happen twice in the last two years -- again on my Red Devil " S" reg one. The first time it happened I was going up dual carriageway in Newport when it started to weave about then an almighty scraping sound and wouldnt steer properly. The wheel nut had stripped through the split pin and the only thing that kept the wheel on was the calliper . I drove slowly round the roundabout and about 300 yds and parked it in a local trade company I regularly use and went back in the evening and repaired it in their car park.
Some months later it happened again but i twigged what was happening and stopped immediately an all I could find in my tool box was a set of Allen Keys so I found a suitable size one to fit the drilling-- fitted it and then bent it round with a pair of moles and refitted the grease cap and its still on there now.
I have never had any other vehicle chew through split pins like this before. It baffles me.
confused confused 

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 am

Right I think it's the bearings going dry I need to recheck the problem one and do the job properly as I couldn't get the pinch bolts undone to get the hub off so I could get the axle fully out but managed to pack a load of grease in through the gaps and seems to be well but the bearing going dry would spin the inner backwards which will spin the nut off, Woody I have seen split pins very chewed up but not had one sheer yet.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Little Black Van wrote:How long are recalls valid for? Surely there's a limit?

Probably not since the recall is being done because the vehicle is deemed dangerous. It won't matter how long it takes, that won't detract from the perceived danger.
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:24 pm

I have this problem too, always thought it was a dodgy nut/thread. I'll check my bearing. Mine starts making a noise like theres a stone in the disc.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top