Headlight bulbs...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Headlight bulbs...

Post by Little Black Van on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:39 pm

So, bought myself a pair of H4 xenon headlight bulbs, thinking that round where I live the brighter light would definitely be useful, and fitted the driver's side no problem. wrestled with getting the cover off the passenger side, a hacksaw and replacement screw were involved, and discovered that the passenger bulb is a completely different mounting! Is this some annoying diahatsu specific thing or can I buy it third party? Anyone encountered these? It says '8M' on the bulb.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: Headlight bulbs...

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 pm

Mine were both the same H4 lamps
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:18 pm

All vehicles should be the same both sides.

Would be interested to know what it is though. Is it a higher power one for example (some prats like a 'brighter' bulb on the nearside) or perhaps he just had 'something knocking about' when he needed a replacement.
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:35 pm

The thing is the bulb is a different mounting, I tried to fit the other H4 I had and no luck. It's exactly the same as the offside bulb, just a different mounting plate. It's a 993cc Efi btw, square headlamps.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:35 pm

On the bulb it says "Alite 12v 60/55w U 8M". Pictures will follow soon. Can I replace the mounting frame? Does anyone else with a 993 have this bulb on the near side?

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:06 pm

I asked my local daihatsu dealer, and they couldn't find any info about the headlamp bulbs, so I ask someone on here with a 993, what is your bulb on the nearside? It's possible that my nearside headlamp was replaced at some point because the makes on the glass are different. The nearside is Lucas, and the offside is Able.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:01 am

That makes sense, are the a standard sort of round lamp fitting on those old fronted vans?
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:56 am

Could it be a previous owner has fitted a very similar lamp from something else?
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 am

Just checked my 1995 and 1998 '993. Both have Cibie rectangular headlamps, with H472 halogen bulbs. IIRC the 410 non-halogen bulb which pre-dated the H472 had the same mounting.

If your n/s unit is Lucas I'm sure it would have originally taken a standard bulb type and there aren't that many different types of mounting. If your H4 won't fit, I'd take the old bulb to an independant accessory shop of factors and see if they can match it. Pic of your bulb might help too.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Here is a picture of the bulb. It's a halogen and for all intents and purposes the same as a H4, just with a different mounting.

If it's any help the headlight itself says Lucas E11 7818

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Ah, might have the answer. Halogens have 3 tabs to ensure bulb is located correctly. Older 410 tungsten bulbs didn't have the tabs, as it didn't matter. I think in the easly days of halogens there was a 'conversion' halogen to fit into existing lamps, and this wouldn't have had the 3 tabs. Would that fit with your scenario, LBV?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Here's a page showing a 410 http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-A3P410?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CL-Ppv6lvrgCFYfMtAodOGYA7A

and here a 472 http://click-parts.co.uk/content/Car-Headlight-Bulbs-free-information-advice.php

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Possibly, although I don't know why one headlamp is different to another. The offside is bog standard H4, with the tabs and the correct clip and all, while the nearside appears to be this '410' conversion halogen. It seems possible that the van had it's nearside lamp replaced at some point with a similar lamp off an older car. So, is it worth changing the glass to a standard H4 again, or just get 410 bulbs for the nearside?

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:20 pm

I would replace the heal lamp so it take the correct bulbs but for a bodge you could bend or cut off the tabs on a standard H4 so you have a bulb that works.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:09 pm

The trouble is that the H4 not only has the tabs, but it's too small for the 410 hole so even with the tabs just falls through. I still have the original 410 bulb that works, as I was trying an upgrade rather than a repair, so I can stick with my old lights until I can get a replacement glass.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 pm

I think I have a couple of these old style bulbs in my draw.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:20 am

Well, keep them until my nearside bulb blows and I'll come running... Laughing 

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:15 pm

I don't really follow this.

My understanding has always been that halogen and non halogen bulbs will fit the same headlamp unit since both bulb types are usually listed in the handbook (as they are in the Hijet's case). I also believe that it is a requirement that matched headlamp bulbs must be fitted, not doing so may cause MOT problems.

My feeling is simply that a previous owner had a spare pile of junk in his shed and decided to fit that rather than pay for an extra bulb.
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:42 pm

Some photos of the back of the head lights would help, front shots too.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes, I will provide more piccies soon. Quite busy atm with work so not had much time to browse to be honest. For now I've put the old bulbs in, and as it is it passed its last MOT fine, like I say the bulbs themselves are practically identical, just the mountings are different.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Right I think the answer to this is dodgy piaggio using up old parts as I noticed that our highbeam was out on the drivers side today so tonight I went to change it got the cover off the inside and notice no rubber boot and an odd looking clip which turned out to be two spring clips one each side and no tabs on the bulb so I took it out to check and it's a proper halogen bulb made by ring turned out to be a old melted connector block so a quick clean up and all working. So I checked the passenger side and it's a normal H4 a pair of mis-matched bulbs and I think both vans so far are mid 90's 993's.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Very odd, good to know though, although frustrating.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gra on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:47 am

Little Black Van wrote:Very odd, good to know though, although frustrating.

Not that odd. The Lucas lamp is not an original and probably came of a Bedford Rascal. From memory I think the bulb fitting you have there is an H4 P23t but could be wrong on that. You are going to have to change the headlamp for one of the correct type in order to get a match.

Gra

Gra
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 am

I am sure most are aware of this but for those who are not , if you have plastic lenses on your headlights your limited to what power bulbs you can upgrade to , as they can actually melt the lense .

Cheers

Eddie
eddie0303
Centurion

http://www.emhall-handyman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Somebody here might know, my friend upgraded her bulbs on her astra with a pair of xenon bulbs from ebay, not the HID gas only ones, but the imitation ones, effectively. They were great, but now both of them have blown, and they've been on the car less than two months. Is this just cheap nasty bulbs or is there a more fundamental problem here? If it's just the former, can you guys recommend a better make?

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Gra wrote:
Little Black Van wrote:Very odd, good to know though, although frustrating.
Not that odd. The Lucas lamp is not an original and probably came of a Bedford Rascal. From memory I think the bulb fitting you have there is an H4 P23t but could be wrong on that. You are going to have to change the headlamp for one of the correct type in order to get a match.

Gra
Well, since my van is now deceased, I'm not going to buy anything for it, but if anyone wants parts, I have a fair few now. Smile *shameless plug*

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gra on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Little Black Van wrote:Somebody here might know, my friend upgraded her bulbs on her astra with a pair of xenon bulbs from ebay, not the HID gas only ones, but the imitation ones, effectively. They were great, but now both of them have blown, and they've been on the car less than two months. Is this just cheap nasty bulbs or is there a more fundamental problem here? If it's just the former, can you guys recommend a better make?
Probably just cheap and nasty bulbs. Ring and Philips xenon bulbs are OK, I've been using Ring xenon ultimate bulbs in the Hijet for quite a while now.

Gra

Gra
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top