warmer weather, warmer hijets?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

warmer weather, warmer hijets?

Post by leopard_pagan on Thu May 20, 2010 9:44 pm

last week or so i have noticed the temp gauge go higher than normal.
it usually its in the middle, i dont remember it getting as hot last summer. last week or so its got near hot a few times!

possible problem?
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

warmer weather...

Post by bones 851 on Thu May 20, 2010 9:57 pm

hi lp, my wee jet temp runs about 3/4 on short trips where as long journeys it goes to the middle, but when in traffic yep it goes all the way up untill fan cools it down, i have asked local mech re this however he says this is very common and he has let it run idle a good 20 mins, i'm always checking oil and water pre long trips, and touch wood it continues to roll along... at least you can open the window mine now wont budge......bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: warmer weather, warmer hijets?

Post by leopard_pagan on Fri May 21, 2010 6:38 am

a mate told me that quick way to cool it down is to whack the heating on full and have the slider sucking air from out side in... and open all windows! it sucks the heat away from the engine and helps cool it.
its due a water/oil/filters change. got the oil and filters. just need to get under it and do it.
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri May 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Our Van has started to do a get fully hot first thing in the morning and then just runs normal I'm guessing that it's just drawing in some air as it cools down over night.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Sat May 22, 2010 1:54 pm

After overheating on Monday. I have replaced the rad cap (what I think was at fault) Put a thermostat in, flushed the system first with water, second with denture tablets, third with water, forth with Holts fast flush, fifth with water. Including blasting a hose around individual sections.
Refilled with coolant and bled 3 times after raising the engine temp. To ensure I was filling at the highest point in the system I rigged a hose with a funnel and a tapered fitment to create an airtight seal at the filling point in the cab.
Touch wood today the temp gauge hit centre and stayed dead centre while driving and in traffic. Hope it lasts. I figured if I keep the van for a long time i'll include it in my yearly service.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Thu May 27, 2010 6:49 am

not happy, same again yesterday, goes from cold to hot in one 15mile journey. 1/2 on A road, 1/2 on duell. no longer sits in the middle as it used to.
topped up rad water (+washer while i was at it).
anyone know how i can test if the fan is kicking in when it should (whens that?)
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Thu May 27, 2010 7:33 am

well, this morning it behaved its self, needle didnt go over half way.
i know i checked the water just over a month ago! did put 2 jug fulls in it last night.will have to keep a closer eye on it.
no white stuff in the expansion bottle which is a good sign, but it was nasty looking in there, i know that coolant never stays green and always turns brown after a fashion!
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Thu May 27, 2010 9:35 am

leopard_pagan wrote:i know that coolant never stays green and always turns brown after a fashion!

Coolant should really stay green if the systems nice and clean. I'd check all the caps for pressure loss and do a full flush and coolant replacement. Probably worth doing the thermostat for the sakes of £8 while you're doing the flush. Lots of crud circulating around the system will do it little good.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Thu May 27, 2010 1:45 pm

put a new thermostat a year ago.
even my bikes coolant turns brown after a week!
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Thu May 27, 2010 11:19 pm

don't think i've ever had a car with dodgy colour coolant apart from my t4 when the oil cooler went. Should be coolant coloured IMO for it to work properly.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Fri May 28, 2010 6:54 am

it did look minging, thing is i have no time to do anything until BikerFest is over! 18th-20th of June.. then i can get other things done.
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top