Road trip to morocco, help needed!..

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Road trip to morocco, help needed!..

Post by Sebbahdee on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Hello! My names Seb I've just joined the site, what a great resource!
Here goes, I wonder if any of you can help me?
I bought a 1998 1.3 efi about 3 months ago, straight from a dealer. MOT the day i handed over the money. Great little van, I've been using it to run around lawn mowers etc. I've also been taking it to festivals all summer with my girlfriend sleeping on a mattress in the back. Spent a very comfortable 10 days at glastonbury!..
We decided we wanted to go away on holiday and this got me thinking why not a road trip!
We decided on morocco and back, Dover to Calais, down through Spain ferry to morocco and back up. Maybe 5000 miles or so..?

So, Because I'm not incredible at mechanics.. (I'm learning though!) I need to know how to prepare for the trip, what things to check that might need repairing or replacing. I've got new spark plugs and oil filter.
She's been running sweetly, coolant system fine, nothing to complain about except for occasionally maybe once a week whilst the engine is under strain, like whilst pulling away from a green light it feels like the clutch is slipping. The van loses power for just a second.
I wasn't too bothered as it happened so rarely but I've just taken it on a couple of long journeys recently and whilst on the motorway, cruising at around 65/70mph the engine cuts out, no power at all. Holding the clutch down for a few seconds seems to work. The first time it happened it just happened twice, 5 minutes after the first time. The second trip it happened the engine cut out maybe 10 times, took a wrong turn and pulled off onto slower roads, after getting back on the motorway it didn't happen again..
I've done a little bit of research and I've heard it might be to do with a vacuum taking place in the tank.. Could this be plausible..? I was thinking it might be the petrol filter, had a quick glance under the van, is the filter just to the back of the tank? There is something just behind the tank that looks like it could be a filter that's pretty rotten looking. Copper pipes coming from it.
Another idea was that it could be to do with the injection system..?

Anyway thanks for reading if you've got this far!.. We've got two and a half weeks to make sure she's in tip top condition so all comments welcome! Thanks again!

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Re: Road trip to morocco, help needed!..

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Welcome along. Tank pressure on anything else is a problem but Hijets have a lot of emmision saving faff on them and our MPV always makes a pressure release noise when the cap comes off for filling up, it could be fuel filter it could be dodgy wires on the fuel pump or crap in the tank, intermittant faults are the hardest to solve unless it's something really obvious, also on the suspect list I would put the fuel presure sensor and the coils and injectors... which reminds me I had a loss of power and one of the injector plugs had come out slightly so it maybe worth going round and making sure everything is plugged in fully and try the self diagnostics to see if a fault code shows up.

Last edited by rich the mechanic on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Errr, have you priced up ferry crossings?

All the operators I've looked at want to charge van rate, which even across the channel is like £250.

As for the running issue, code scan it first :-

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/hijet-diagnostic-engine-warning-light-flash-codes/
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Welcome Seb. This is interesting, I think we've had reports of 1.3's cutting out but not 998's - and I've never had it happen on either of mine (not that I spend much time at those speeds though). What sort of mileage has yours done? I agree with Rich about checking pulg leads etc but might also be worth checking/changing the fuel filter to see if that eliminates it.

HJ, if he's going to Morocco then £250 is peanuts compared with total cost!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:04 pm

i had problems with mine ages ago cutting out, was barely noticeable when it first started (bit of a stutter) and progressed to randomly cutting out totaly, turned out to be rotten wiring, not sure exactly what they are connected to but they were under the panel behind the passenger seat
elfin girl
Cinquecento

https://www.facebook.com/bydonellamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:09 am

Thank you for all the help!.. Very useful comments..

Today I just drove back from Brighton to bristol. Everything was going well until we stopped off at services half way home. Setting off again 5 minuts down the road and it cuts out, took a lot longer to kick back in with just the clutch trick, too long to be able to just drift along the motorway until it would rev up in gear. (Idles fine). So next time it happened I turned the ignition off and on again. Instantly torque is back, and the same every other time it happened until we left the motorway. (About every 5 miles.) doesn't this go to show it can't be filter/dodgy wiring/tank pressure problems? Must be something a little more complicated, electrical problem..? Sensor or injector/pump problem?

She's done 90000 miles and its a 1.3 not a 998.
Ferry is costing £40 return to France, they charge per dimentions with this liner, and somting like £150 to morocco.

Ill take it to my local mechanic tomorrow and see what he says.. Thanks again!!

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:57 am

If its 2001 or later buy a cheap code scanner, save guessing?
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:55 am

As far as ferry crossings are concerned, the most I paid was £70 and that was on the day. Basically just put yourself in as a car with the correct size range and you'll be fine.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 am

Sebbahdee wrote:Thank you for all the help!.. Very useful comments..

Today I just drove back from Brighton to bristol. Everything was going well until we stopped off at services half way home. Setting off again 5 minuts down the road and it cuts out, took a lot longer to kick back in with just the clutch trick, too long to be able to just drift along the motorway until it would rev up in gear. (Idles fine). So next time it happened I turned the ignition off and on again. Instantly torque is back, and the same every other time it happened until we left the motorway. (About every 5 miles.) doesn't this go to show it can't be filter/dodgy wiring/tank pressure problems? Must be something a little more complicated, electrical problem..? Sensor or injector/pump problem?

She's done 90000 miles and its a 1.3 not a 998.
Ferry is costing £40 return to France, they charge per dimentions with this liner, and somting like £150 to morocco.

Ill take it to my local mechanic tomorrow and see what he says.. Thanks again!!

Name that liner!!! I'm supposed to be going to germany in September but I couldn't find a cheap ferry crossing.

I will post the link again for how to error code scan the ECU, you don't use a scanner on a 1998 one like yours so a garage won't have a clue how to do a diagnostics test on it:-

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/hijet-diagnostic-engine-warning-light-flash-codes/

It may just point you straight at the error, let me know how you get on. Anyone can do it.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:50 pm

That's what we did, classed ourselves as a car.. £20 each way!.. Ill ask my girlfriend what the company is.
Do you need the engine warning light to come up in order to get diagnostics..? The light never came on.

Today I took her into a dihatsu garage. Told me most of the time this problem is down to the temperature sensor going. Thinks the engine is cold and pumps in extra fuel which chokes it. Sounds feasible ey..? I've got a non runner that I'm pinching parts from, ill try swapping the sensors round..

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

The ferry company is DFDS Seaways, and they go to Germany!

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks for that.

Would have thought it the temp sensor gave an erroneous reading it would give you the warning light.

But I would put the paper clip in it for the 5 minutes it will take you - might give you the answer.

And no, the light doesn't have to be on to get a flash code, it remembers all previous errors - well since you last disconnected the battery.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Just a thought it sounds like the problem I had with the car which has a mechanical fuel pump which was working but when doing motorway speeds would cut out but if you caught it and let it idle, it would then run so we went round the M25 up to 60mph then let it idle while the speed dropped of to about 40mph and repeat. It was the return valve and when at the higher revs it was fluttering and not moving the fuel along. I assume that the fuel pump is a diapham and valve and at idle it would run and stop over again to top the pressure up where as at higher speed it would run more often to flat out, anyone who's taken a pump apart please correct me I haven had one out of a Hijet.

Last edited by rich the mechanic on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:27 am

That sounds pretty similar!.. Well I've changed the thermo sensor. Got a long drive to Winchester today, hopefully we shall find she's cured! But if not petrol pump is now up on top as suspect..

And concerning the diagnostics.. I know it's simple but I'm a little stumped!.. It's not how it looks in the picture, it's a big black block with about 9 or so small sockets with 4 wires going in.. Could this be from a later model? Also the colours don't match apart form one black and white wire. Have I got the year wrong?? Still haven't got the log book..

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:32 am

Does it look like a scart socket? Post a pic? Post one of the van too.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Ok so I changed the sensor and drove for about 2 hours, no problems! But then yesterday I took her from London and back again, ten minutes in on the motorway it happened again. I timed it happening every time on my phone, pretty much exactly every 1:45 going at 70mph.
2:40 at 65mph
And 3:20 at 60mph
So this has got to be fuel starvation right..? I didn't have time to try driving with the fuel cap off to check if it was to do with a vacuum happening. And it's pretty unreliable anyway, only seems to happen sometimes and if you pull over it might have stopped anyway not due to a variable you might have changed. But I do have a hunch it might not happen with an empty tank.
I'm finding it hard uploading photos on my phone. Ill try on a computer later.
Also I bought a great bull bar yesterday. It's from an older model, one with more of a flat bumper but it had the same fittings as the bar that is on it at the moment under the bumper.
The only thing is the bumper comes out too much for it to fit on.. Would an old bumper style fit on this van?
Ill take some photos and hopefully be able to show you!..

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Did you ever code scan it?
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:33 am

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=8&u=18471605

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=7&u=18471605

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=4&u=18471605
Here's the bumper I bought..

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=6&u=18471605

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:24 am

Here's a picture of the code scanner thing. Tell me what you think..

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 am

That last photo is for the optional fog light relay plug!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 am

Haha!! Ok ill keep digging. Didn't notice anything else though.

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 pm

I admit I haven't had a chance to look again!.. :-/ I've been so busy.

But there is a few final things I need to sort out, I need to build a bed in the back. Sort the engine and buy brake pads..
I'm looking on eBay now but there are a few diferent types. Can anyone tell me exactly what type I should get?.. Or send me a link? I can take a picture of the calippers if needed.

And regarding the engine- what are all the possible causes? I have a spare vehicle I'm pinching parts from. Fuel pump? Fuel filter? (Where is this?!) injectors? Anything else?
I've only got a few days left?! Stressing a little bit.
Thanks again!!

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Good luck!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:53 am

A few days?
Filter behind tank, leave it alone, it'll be rusted solid
Save time buy an aired
Get pads from your local motor factor
Get AA membership with cover for outside Europe
Send us pics of where you break down ........ Wink
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebbahdee on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am

Do you mean pump? It's pretty rusted!..
What's an aired?

Got cover, everything's sorted. Van is in tip top shape. Literally the last things to do are install stereo, change the wheels, build a bed and sort this?! It's proving to be a bit of a mystery.

HJ- absolutely any ideas or hunches?.. Whatever it could be I can just swap with the donor van. X

Sebbahdee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am

New phone, the word was meant to be AIRBED.... Embarassed No , the filter is there
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:51 am

Yeah loads of hunches mate,

but if you just read any error codes off it that would stop you from messing around with all the things that aren't wrong with it.

Every time you mess with something, you risk causing more problems like breaking wires or connectors.

And now you have a day to go, you might take something off and break something that makes the van unrepairable in the short time you have.

Might be the VSS or the IAT or TPS or MAP or a Relay.

If it was a fuel pressure issue, I'd expect the ECU to register the error code "25 – Running too lean"
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebahdee on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:25 pm

ive joined the brown and black/white terminals. flicked the switch... nothing. could it be as simple as the engine light not working? it doesn't come up during ignition..

Sebahdee

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:30 pm

This might be the problem, if it doesn't come up at all when you turn the key on, then the bulb is possibly missing!!

Last person who owned it might be hiding something.

Also an old garage trick is to put the bulb on a 24v truck battery to blow it, then put it back in place!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebahdee on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:08 pm

ok ive got a serious problem now. ive installed a stereo today, doing so sparked the main power wire against the bodywork, engine etc. now there is no spark!!.. motor is turning over but no spark from the pugs! fusible link seems to be ok.. just two blades in a whit housing next to the battery..? all minor fuses ok.. i was told the petrol pump (transistors)? well petrol pump something under the brake fluid to the right of the steering wheel might be to blame.
please help! I'm really worried now!!!

ill try swapping one of the bulbs with the engine one

Sebahdee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top