Little mistake while removing cam belt (poss quite large mistake really)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Little mistake while removing cam belt (poss quite large mistake really)

Post by stevelav on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Err I guess I did not absorb the instructions properly for changing my cam belt as the first thing I did on removing the covers was to straight away remove the cam belt.

Now I realise that the instructions are to line up the marks BEFORE removing the cam belt.

The crankshaft pulley seems to turn easily enough with a spanner but the camshaft pulley is immovable by hand.

I am a bit worried about turning either of the pulleys as now I think about it the pistons which I think are turned by the crankshaft pulley can hit the valves which are controlled by the camshaft pulley.

I did turn the crankshaft pulley a few degrees by itself to see if the camshaft pulley would free up but that did not work so now I am at a bit of a loss.

Would it be ok to put the cam belt back on at the approx position it was and then align up the marks or am I in trouble here?!

I have a sort of bad feeling now that to get all the 4 pistons and valves to line up is quite involved and I've messed it up, oh dear

(by the way the F is about 180 degrees out of position on the opposite side to its mark)
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: Little mistake while removing cam belt (poss quite large mistake really)

Post by stevelav on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:26 pm

I think there may be a position to rotate the crankshaft pulley to where all the pistons are clear of the valves so then I can turn the Camshaft pulley as much as I like.

Anyone know what this is?
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:02 pm

I think when the drilled mark on the crankshaft timing belt pulley is aligned with the mark on the oil pump then the pistons are clear of the valves and I can then line up the marks on the camshaft timing belt pulley and everything will be good again.

I'll try that tomorrow and hope that I don't bang the pistons into the valves while lining up the crankshaft pulley marks.

Or if I'm wrong please let me know.
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 pm

You can't turn the cam all the way if you have any of the pistons at TDC as the valves will hit the pistons.

As long as you turn the crank some to bring the pistons off TDC, then you can turn the cam round to the mark up points.

You can never turn a cam by hand as your fighting the valve springs, I tend to put a spanner on the nuts and turn it that way (only turn clockwise as you don't want to loosen the bolts)

But to be totally frank, and please don't take offence, it worries me that you are having these problems and doing a cam belt DIY!!!

I hope it all turns out OK.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:20 pm

Thats good so the camshaft should be hard to turn.

I think it'll be good now at worst i can poke something down to check where the pistons are, and I guess I can gingerly turn the crankshaft into position if it meets no resistance.

You can't be nearly as worried as I was when I realised what I'd done!

You'd think the bit about lining up the marks b4 removing the belt might be emphasised a little more as something v important. I suppose this is a mistake you only make once!
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:26 pm

I don't line them up first, I tend to sort all that stuff out as I put it back together.

I always remove all the plugs mind you so it makes it easier to turn the crank around.

Keeping the cam in just the right place can be a bit tricky on a hijet (and other cars) as your just on the verge of compressing the valve springs.

Oh and make sure you don't get the cam 180 degree out, as it's easily done - won't cause damage but it'll never start!!!

The crank pulley has a nice obvious mark on it, where the cam pulley markings are at best dubious in typical Daihatsu style. Daihatsu cam pulley markings are frickin terrible!

Most of the charade turbo engines I messed with 10 years ago had the belt on the cam pulley out by 1 tooth, and the same goes for alot of the honda engines I screwed with too. They run and everything - but when the belt is on correctly you get like a 20% performance boost compared to them being a tooth out.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:40 pm

I think its pretty clear with the camshaft mark - my F which is currently at the bottom has to get to the top.

I did not realise the camshaft would be in a difficult place though when at its mark. I got all the plugs out but the awkward one so I think thats ok

I don't even know what tdc means though I'm guessing its when all the pistons are clear of the valves. I bet you make sure you're crankshaft is at "tic" before you take off your timing belt!

I think theres also a number of teeth on the belt between the marks on the two pulleys I can count to double check its on right.

Thanks for the help, I felt a little queasy before when I thought I'd messed it up.
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:42 pm

oh its off TDC is it, I should google tdc now!
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 pm

just one last question -

are all the pistons off tdc when the crankshaft timing belt pulley is aligned with the mark on the oil pump and therefore it is safe to turn the camshaft pulley.

or is this mark indicating cylinder 1 is top dead centre and thus do not turn the camshaft pulley or knacker you're valves.
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Normally marks represent TDC on cylinder 1
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Great thx
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top