No fool like an old fool

View previous topic View next topic Go down

No fool like an old fool

Post by eddie0303 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:02 am

Well I am a official Hijetter fan now and have a 993 to prove it . I have been involved in self build motor homes for a number of years but on a bigger scale than the Micro vans . I recently bought an MOT failure off Ebay which had started out as a maintenance van at Pontins and at some point had a lift up roof added . The body work is good and I think I have cured the overheating problem so next its the MOT to pass . I am planning on using the van for work and recreation so it will have a bench seat , cooker and sink fitted in and a small amount of storage .

I have been most surprised at the following the Hijet has and it seems to be a future contender for the V.W followers , but on a smaller scale and budget .

I am based in the Blackpool area and hope to meet other like minded people who are willing to accept the simple things in life and gain enjoyment from them . So I will close for now and hope to chat with some of you in the future .

All the best

Eddie
eddie0303
Centurion

http://www.emhall-handyman.com

Back to top Go down

Re: No fool like an old fool

Post by xxemaphorr on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:31 am

Welcome Eddie! Nice van. I think they are pretty rare with the pop top roof as I tried to find one for mine a while back! Post some pics in the your pics area if you don't mind so we can check the beast out. Out of interest what was the overheating problem and what did you do to fix it?
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Glad to see ya sorted the log in at last.
You & Woody will get on well..
Seen 2 Hijets this week locally. Waved/flashed at both who waved back enthusiasticly Smile
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello to you both , and thanks for the response

Post by eddie0303 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Well , L.P , I am glad to say that the site has been no trouble since I remembered the correct user name  , Very Happy , Old age I guess. I hope to be crossing paths with some fellow Jetters in the near future Very Happy but as yet I am restricted to the front of my works unit and not seen any yet . I have spoken to Woody already and also Matt / Higher Jetted , both very nice people and very helpful . I look forward to meeting more members as soon as possible and will try and publish the progress of my project van .

Best regards and thanks

Eddie

Last edited by eddie0303 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Hi X

Post by eddie0303 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Well my first thoughts were the usual head gasket problem and then I started looking around and found that there was hardly any coolant in the system and when it came to the matrix , I found it ws empty. The next thing I found was that the gasket had failed on the inlet manifold and there was a small jet of water spraying from the edge, after stripping down the surrounding bits I found that the securing bolts were not as tight as they should be so I replaced the gasket and sealed it ,then made sure it was good and tight . I also removed the thermostat and added flushing agent to the system and left it over night after running up to running temperature . I then drained her down and filled the system as per the guidelines and added some coolant before hand . after letting it tick over for an hour or two the engine temp failed to rise about a quarter and the fan did not cut in , although I have checked that its working by testing the wiring / sender . I suppose the true test will be when I get to run it under load but up to now all seems well . Laughing .

The van proved to be a bit of a nightmare to insure due to the roof , as its classed as a modification and as its not yet in camper status I
had to insure as a modified van Crying or Very sad  £350 with full no claims and thats for third party . But thats Adrian Flux for you , my old LDV LWB was less than that and that was without any no claims .

I have a few more pics and will post them as soon as I fathom it out and will also keep a record of the progress. At the moment I have replaced the rear tailgate and the drivers door and the last job was under sealing and greasing the underside prior to MOT, today it has been spent repairing the headlights as the reflector lens was rusty , ( an easy job made difficult , due to rusty screws etc ) Its just a case of waiting for spares now and then book in for the test , after that its the conversion bits and cosmetics . Should be done soon ( He said Very Happy ) . Thanks for the reply and hope to speak again soon .

All the best Eddie
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:46 pm

hi, just doing a conversion on my jet there are pics on here to show the little bit of progress so far, had to put on hold as petrol tank leaked then mot came up,
hope to see pics soon

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi S.D The van came stripped out and is basically a shell inside at the moment . I will not be doing a full camper van conversion as I want to use it for work as well as pleasure and I still have not mastered uploading photos yet but when its MOTed I will be doing the cosmetic bits to the inside and outside . The one job I would recommend doing at the start of any project is
de-rusting and under sealing the underside , I have done this with every van I have had and it saves a lot of repairs in the future . I will post photos as soon as I can , and thanks for the post .

Eddie
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top