Daily work horse turned rolling project/restoration!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Daily work horse turned rolling project/restoration!

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi all, as some of you already know I only got my van last week, I got her cause I am a mobile mechanic and I need a small van to carry all my crap!.
I had full intensions of just keeping her going and ploding along till something else cheap pops up but as with most ppl that have these fell in love instantly (plus the missus hates it and pissing her off is always a plus point LOL)
Anyway I know these do tend to rot fairly bad so when I picked her up I made sure I went though it and all was good so deal was done and home we came,
The mirrors where awfull so looked at changing them for some that I had lying about (see my other posts) but still not convinced about the look so I set about building a rack to mount my roll cab. when I started moving stuff out of the way i noticed a bit of rust on the offside rear arch so attacked it with screwdriver to see how bad It was, as expect couple of holes nothing major, I thought it best at this point to get her in the air and have a proper attack to see whats hidding under the mud, to my suprise appart from a bit of surface rust she is solid and has never been welded (apart from hole in arch) so I have now decide instead of just patching up and keeping her going I am going to do a rolling resto,
Ill post some pics now of what I done so far but I finished my lunch now and the sun is out so Ill crack straight on and get some more pics up later

Danny

As you can see mud was thick and i feel a bit of gentlemen sausgae for not digging deep before buy

Im a bit of a pussy when it comes to sparks and kaboomy things so tanks coming out, plus ill be able to clean and paint everything and fix the awfull brake pipe repair

Tank is not in best shape but should clean up ok
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: Daily work horse turned rolling project/restoration!

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:12 pm

If you saw it before it had a skin of paint on it you'd think its a nail.

Give it a year or so and rust will start bubbling out in loads of places.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:If you saw it before it had a skin of paint on it you'd think its a nail.

Give it a year or so and rust will start bubbling out in loads of places.
I going to clean it all up and put some Rust-o-leum on it so will (Should / Hopefully / Best-do) last many years
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Lab_Rat835 wrote:

Remove the inner card where that seatbelt reel is,

You will most likely find where the sliding door runners bolt on the inside of the arch panel there will be more corrosion.

Grind it out, paint up with anything, then use repair washers. Then you won't get the typical poo stains leaking down from the runners.

And as you look down the gap, you will see the rest of the arch issue.

They tend to rot from the inside out, due to condensation like all cars.

Next place to go digging if you can handle the heart ache!!.......

Look where the petrol cap is, underneath the van, the inside of that panel, sort of further back than the wheel arch. Then the passenger side in the same place, they tend to rot harder on the passenger side. And this spot is an MOT failure due to being 30cm to the seat belt mounting point.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:30 pm

ok been cleaning up its really not that bad at all, i been restoring classic cars for many years and was expecting to be chasing the rust forever but this one is good so should hopfully have it all welded by tomorrow

Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:55 pm

finally managed to get out and do some welding after it been raining all week, didnt get it finished but done most of it so hopfully if weather and my hands are good tomorrow i can finish arch and start welding in rack so i can get my roll cab in:face: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

ill warn ya now some pics are a bit funny cause of the way sun was and my welding is not the prettiest (but it is solid and is not gonna rust through an time soon)

all rust is cut out to make sure im welding to good strong metal

not good pic but you can see plate is all clamped up, the metal is an old road sign, not the easiest to work with but very strong and free from mate

again not best pic but fully seam welded and solid

tea break

again all rot cut out

welded inside and out and in stages, not the neatest way of doing it but its alot easier to make the plates and you also maintain the shape of the arch

half cleaned up just cause i wanted to take a couple pics

now to enjoy a locally sourced alcoholic beverage, when i say locally sourced i mean the little shop in the next street lol
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:38 am

hi all thought i would revive my post as it as been awhile, i have done quite a bit to doris since the last post, for starters as most of you are aware i had to fully rebuild my tank which i put in another post, but since then i have made a new dashtop radio mount, got my roll cab and racks in, got my sub and speakers hooked up although i should have 2 more suns going in in a couple of weeks, i had her broken into last week i been flushing all the locks and fitting alarm with 4 sirens full remote central locking and remote tailgate realese, as its late ill leave it for now but ill get somepicsup in next couple of days
Danny
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 8:48 am

ok finally sortedmost of pics out so here is the rest of the arch repair

as you can see all rust cut away, fuly seam welded inside and out then anti corrosion primer and then a good lashing of underseal.

I had to do some welding on other arch before i put my racks in so ill get pics of all that up soon.

Also Doris got broken into couple weeks ago, she now has remote tailate popper with remote central looking and fully flushed locks, ill get pics of all that up and how i did it when i finished the alarms and got all the pics labelled and in order, for obvious reasons I will not be putting pics up of the alarms or there loactions but I will Say there is 4 sirens one of them a battery back up, a 2 stage proximity sensor plus various shock sensors, I will do a youtube vid of it all working and if anyone wants there van as secure as mine then ill be happy to help ppl out

hope your enjoying the post and the work so far
Regards
Danny
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am

this is the passenger arch repair

as you can see nowhere near as bad as the drivers side but I still made sure all the rot was gone and welded inside and out, I did treat it same as drivers side arch and tank with the anti corrosion primer and underseal but I didnt take any pics
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 11:17 am

previous owner had made some bodge of a shelf above the seats so i redesigned it and made it usefull

as you can see it is now a useable shelf, I have no idea what the muppet was thinking when he put it in first
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 11:25 am

This is the rack and mounts for my jacks and roll cab

itsnot no where near that tidy now lol
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 11:41 am

this is what the Wa**ers done to my locks, I never took alot of pics because i was in a rush to get it secured, the pics are of the drivers door and the tailgate as was and then after i straightened them out before welding, I never took pics of after i welded holes over but you can imagine what it looks like but i will get pics up when i get it filled and painted, I never took pics of passenger door but it was just as bad

Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 11:50 am

some of the central locking, its not finished yet so ill hope to getsomemorepics up later but its raining at min so cant do anything

I made sureall cables wher secured out way of window mechanism and all cables are soldered and heat shrinked
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 12:12 pm

I got pissed of with my radio hanging out the dash so I made a mount that sits on top of dash, Its still wood at the min but i have got some carbon wrap to go over it when i get round to it

Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HIJET1300GT on Thu May 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Nice neat cable work sir . top job!
HIJET1300GT
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 12:33 pm

The chrome had started to come of my drivers side headlight and as you all know the are like hens teeth to get hold of so i repaired it, i did crack the lens when i was removing it but luckily HJ had one so thanks again for that mate a real life saver.

the chrome was not very chrome it was more silver but i chanced it and she went straight through an M.O.T couple days later
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 12:39 pm

HIJET1300GT wrote:Nice neat cable work sir . top job!

thanks, running cables on a hijet is not an easy task but i am happy with the way its come out
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Thu May 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Hell of a lot of work, well done Smile

The guy on ebay selling the racks alsp had the rear window security grilles for sale.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 1:17 pm

Logi wrote:Hell of a lot of work, well done Smile

The guy on ebay selling the racks alsp had the rear window security grilles for sale.

I got some mesh than i gonna make make into a security grill but its way down the list of things to do at the min
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Thu May 01, 2014 4:25 pm

Nice work matey! Loving the idea of central locking!
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 on Thu May 01, 2014 6:28 pm

FrontBackSide2Side wrote:Nice work matey! Loving the idea of central locking!

it was always a thought but didnt really have much choice doing it now,its frustrating the time its taking, running cables on a van is a real ball ache, saying that i could have made it easier but i wanted to make sure all cables are out of reach
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top