Hijet km per litre on lpg?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:03 pm

First post guys,happy to find this site.Now many Q,s if anyone can help.
I have a 03 hijet 1.3 lpg and seem to be getting 5km/ per litre fuel economy on lpg.

Can anyone confirm what is normal lpg useage or what km/ltr they are getting on lpg?.
I would like too hear how others do on petrol economy too but rarely use petrol myself,which may have caused the injectors to not work right.As it is very hesitant,jumpy on petrol but lpg running is fine.
Its being like that since bought new but after 18months/2years it was really was bad.

I am looking to better 5km/litre on lpg so have to start somewhere and was hoping someone may be able to help with the air filter dimensions in mm,length x width.Depth is not really important.

KN panel filters can be bought by size, so was going to price a standard airbox fitted one up,but as parked on a busy london high st its very differcult too remove, just too measure as must empty van.
I may ring a helpful dealer perhaps on that point, unless someone has a old filter in the garage?.

Carpetcleanvan

Back to top Go down

Re: Hijet km per litre on lpg?

Post by 8bit-ash on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Welcome. I get 80-90 miles on £8, a mix between short city journeys and slightly longer 5-20 mile country road journeys. which I think converts to around 30mpg. I'm going to change the LPG filter and do some research as i'd like to hit 35mpg.
I'll leave you to do the conversions Smile Smile
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks for the help,
by my conversion calcs??um you are already a bit over 30mpg,which seems really very good.Have you done any simple or other work to get that mileage?
85 miles=137km -( 1mile =1.60934km)
£8 @ 0.599p/ltr=13.35ltrs in your area (.65p in london)
10.26km/ltr fuel economy (if I have done this right),Im not sure on my calcs? as it looks over double my mileage of 5km/ltr of lpg.

I work in km/ltr now as thats how its priced/displayed at the pumps.I had only ever done it in MPG back in the day of ford v8,s so thought I had better change,it is kind of weird in km/ltr though.If anyone can correct my calcs perhaps thats part of it.
Looks like I need to do some/alot more research to get mine running better,which is why I am on here.

If you can update your progress on the lpg filter replacement (which I have seen parts for online) I would be really interested, as with anything to lift fuel/lpg economy/running with the hijet.

I had it serviced at woodfordmoco last time,although they did some good with the high temp fix and general tune,they verbally told me it was running fine,which it definitely was,nt .
As it was bunny hopping at the first set of lights outside their garage on "petrol".So after being lied too outright or not told of its problems after paying, I lost confidence with them completely.
I Did go back and rebooked,payed more and got nowhere on the hesitation on petrol problem.

The daihatsu garage I used before womoco,was in Acton town,london and was very pleased with, got robbed twice by gipsys so went out of business sadly.
Now because work is very tight, I want too try a few things myself too improve its running and attempt too save the £400 to £700 quid I used to pay.
If it does,nt work out,Ill be looking for the best hijet garage/mechanic within driving distance of london

Last edited by Carpetcleanvan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : incorect figures)

Carpetcleanvan

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:47 pm

I pay 59.9p/l here which would make it about 30mpg. I think the official figures on lpg were under 30. Saw one garage advertising a hijet for sale with lpg mpg comparable to 90MPG Shocked with petrol. Think anyone who buys that because of Those figures will get a surprise. I don't carry much load in mine which helps.
Have you got links to the filter you have seen for sale? Haven't looked into where to get one yet.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Hijet litres/100km on lpg?

Post by Carpetcleanvan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:07 pm

I now realise it should be LITRES/PER 100KM If you want to work in metric,as thats the standard.
Which means I am getting 20ltrs/100km or about 14mpg which is kind of like my old ford v8 I had once.
Besides maths Ive got a Hijet fuel economy prob.
I adjusted your .59p a litre in my calcs but its not really the correct way too present it.

As for the filters I actually thought you were talking about the "lpg fuel filter" which is a simple gauze piece that I havent a clue about really but have veiwed it online.I would like to check it out though, if its a simple job.

The KN air filters are at knfilters.com not the uk site,but that may work too.
Go to- search for products
Go to- search for filters by dimension in red writting
Select panel filter
Input OEM filter dimensions which I don,t have yet
This will get a part no ,which can be ordered by whoever from kn uk. ph 01925636950 warrington
Looks like around £40 but it can be cleaned.

Another poster has noted the KN "filter kit" part numbers but you must remove the airbox I think.
The water can get deep at rare times in london,so I would prefer to keep the air box on a work van.

Carpetcleanvan

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi if all you want is a washable filter there is a cheaper alternative which is motocross foam it costs a few quid or so and any good motorcross shop and some scooter shops as peugeots use it too comes as a fair size sheet and you cut to size if a big filter area then a wire mesh support is all thats needed and is nearly as free flowing as a K&N and better than paper. when the filter in mine is dirty I'll change it for some foam I have left over from the last bike I did.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Thanks for the help,
Its a great Idea,have too check out a few bike shops for this foam.Is it anything special this bike foam,high density I guess and fuel resistant no doute, so can be oiled?
I did use too clean and re-oil Honda CR ,XL, XR filters so should have thought of your Idea myself,but that was a long time ago.
I actually just airhosed out the old filter and washed it with bike degreaser,first service work I have done myself but forgot to measure filter to find standard panel KN filter size availability.
Even if I got the KN parts numbers it may help others here.

I am getting really bad mileage as you probably read above at 14mpg on gas, so will get new plugs and see how it goes on a few tanks of lpg.
I can,t see another 10 to 15 mpg as it starts well now?Who knows though, Ill go step by step slowly as have time.
The mileage is so bad compared to 8bit-ash above, though,I am thinking something odd or unusual is wrong now.
It does carry a bit of weight with carpet/upholstery cleaning equipment and chems but not 14mpg.

Has any one had good experiences with new ngk plugs or otherwise

Carpetcleanvan

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi dirt bike foam is the black filter foam that you oil in the same way as a K&N and is what you would have had in your CR, XL & XR the only difference is the air box dosn't have the built is supports for it so you need a bit of large hole mesh to stop the motor dragging it in for lunch and only use soft plastic to attach it to the mesh so a small cable tie poked through in each corner to hold onto it works nice.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 am

I get about 300 Miles from my 30 litre petrol tank.

Heres my 2p's worth of hear-say.....

CAUSES/EXCUSES

I guess most dual fuel vehicals are emission tested for the MOT on petrol mode.

The LPG kits were dealer/distributor fitted..... not by the factory! They are not EFI

The Daihatsu guy who setup the kits (he's on the daihatsu-drivers forum) will have set them up manually.

Because a human set them up I bet they will be overly rich/safe.

SOLUTION

In my oppinion, some sort of Lambda sensor gauge, Wideband O2 Kit.... etc will give you the actual air fuel readings. By watching the gauge you will be able the alter the gas mixture screw on the LPG demand regulator.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 am

Plus, if the gas side has been setup overly rich, it will have killed the lambda sensor in the exhaust. This will give you awful mpg on petrol.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Hijet1.3 lpg fuel economy

Post by Carpetcleanvan on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks for replies.
I,m rusty as hell, working out this fuel consumption but bit better using the coversion websites now and umm?? realising that the speedo is in miles during the sums bit.Yes, what a tool,anyway sorry guys, onwards.

I think the figures above put you in the 45mpgallon range on petrol which is close to LPG not being a big advantage on cost. Does 9p vs 12p a mile seem much diff? (my rough calcs so be wary)
The gap is narrowing at least in general no matter liter price, if you can get 45mpg on petrol vs 30mpg on gas,1 gallon being 4.546 litres.Gas .659p ltr, petrol £1.189ltr

Well after figureing out I can,t do these sums too well,as I have cocked my stated figures up,( latest seems to be 23mpg) ,I searched the net a bit.
Highlyjetted made me realise I need a LPG pro garage tune, as I could do some filters plugs etc but it looks to be more tech, too achieve the real economical results I,m hopeing for.
Also the jumpy running on petrol is hidious with multiple speed bumps on roads and probably techo prob as above.
Should have heavily addressed this during warranty period,I did try but just stayed on gas in the end, as so busy.

On google I found Claudio at Battersea Autogas in buckhold rd sw18 and rang.
Italian chap doing conversions with range of cost options for diagnosis or LPG tune.
I have never heard of them, as have only used Aylesbury,Acton town and Womoco dealers since 2003
I will swing by for a visual and see whats, what ,as best as I can.

If anyone has more experience, opinions etc on getting the Hijet 1.3 LPG duel fuel tuned,too a higher level,for economy it could only be helpful.

Straight off the bat, a smaller growing business with Prins experience, outside london would probably be better priced but without someone very experienced in the know to advise, what do you do.
Finding this forum got me in gear at least but I can,t do £600-700 bread and butter tunes at dealerships anymore .

Carpetcleanvan

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:13 pm

All I can say is good luck. LPG work is a funny old game. On LPG I'd have thought you'd get probally 90% of the miles per litre that you should get on petrol.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

LPG

Post by tara100 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:12 pm

Hello

I've just got through my first full tank of LPG which cost £14.80. I've clocked up 135 miles from the tank full, and wondered if this good, bad or average fuel consumption? (I have read the above posts, but I lost the plot a bit trying to work out what the norm is!)

Many thanks
Tara

p.s
Sorry to the OP if I should have started my own thread - I wasn't sure what to do Embarassed
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:49 am

Working on gas being 66p a litre

£14.80 is ~22.42 L

135 miles divided by 22.42l is ~6.02 miles per litre

4.54L to a gallon (imperial)

so 6.02 miles per litre x 4.54

Means you are doing ~27.3mpg on gas

obviously that figure will change according to the price you pay for lpg...
a single pence difference would mean ~0.5mpg difference

Hope that helps...

EDIT:
Forgot to add, that personally I wouldnt think that 27mpg is a bad figure for the hijet on LPG...
you never get quite as good economy on LPG compared to petrol.

I only get around 35mpg in my hijet (and I am heavy footed Embarassed Wink )

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks Difflock Smile

I did an 80 mile round trip yesterday and I did cane Betty for some of that, as there were some steep hills to get over Razz
27 mpg isn't too bad. I won't fill back up with LPG until I've seen what a full tank of petrol will do first - S'nice to compare afro

Tarrah for now and have a good day!
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:35 pm

thats ok Smile

I would reckon around 35mpg on petrol as thats what I get (and I am heavy footed Razz)

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 am

Hmmm my sums can't be right.....

I've finally used up £15.00 worth of petrol, and got 180.5 miles from it. (well, £15.22 used to be exact)

Using the calculations already mentioned, I worked out that Betty did an average of 62 mpg (town and careful motorway driving) but that's never right is it? Shocked

(petrol was £1.14 per litre at the time)
Could someone double check for me please?

Tara

I have not smoked for 2 weeks, 1 day and 15 hours, saving 265.98 cigarettes and £75.13 (cold turkey)
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Well it does work out at 62mpg....

£15 of fuel @ £1.14 per litre means you put 13.16 litres in.

180.5 miles divided by 13.16 = 13.72

Which means 13.72 miles per litre

13.72 x 4.54 = 62.3mpg

That is a good figure but not impossible...

If you keep the revs down and drive sensibly, and cruise along, its viable...
Personally I average 35mpg, because my right foot is made of Bismuth....
And its not uncommon for me to hit the rev limiter in 3rd (60mph)

Well done though Smile

It is handy knowing how to work out economy Smile

Just out of interest though, is your odometer working correctly?

Because it would be the first time I have seen it where it clicks a mile when the vehicle has travelled 1 1/2 miles Rolling Eyes Shocked

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Allo again Smile

Well I am surprised, because I've driven exactly the same as I did on the LPG, went to the same places, and I only got 27.3mpg from that tank full. I'm pleased and gutted at the same time, as the LPG is supposed to be better than petrol, but then 63mpg is pretty damned good Smile I won't bother using LPG anymore then.

My odometer (I love that word; it sounds like it measures smells) doesn't work (It clocks up one mile when approx 10 has been done) but I've kept a book on the go, and written down every journey of the LPG and petrol test.

I do drive Betty very carefully though, which is odd considering I've just sold my sports which I tore around in. I never over rev her, and I change gears smoothly and brake gently and as little as poss (I roll up to red lights etc) My window is only ever open a small amount, and I know this makes quite a difference fuel consumption wise.

Oh and thanks for re-checking the figures for me Smile

I have not smoked for 2 weeks, 2 days and 11 hours, saving 280.32 cigarettes and £79.19
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:37 pm

My windows are always open all the way, apart from when it rains, then its open a few inches Smile

Your LPG's economy doesnt seem right...

I would think you should get 50mpg on lpg, if you are getting 62 on petrol...

A lot will say lpg gets you higher MPG, but it doesnt.
Its always slightly lower, but the cost difference means than 30mpg on gas is 50~60 miles to equal the cost of the petrol...
If that makes sense....

I guarantee if you drive the hijet harder, you will drop the economy Smile
As I said, mine gets around 30~35mpg... Very Happy

And no problem checking the figures Razz

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 pm

I'm sure there's summat up with the LPG system, but to be certain, I've put another full tank in yesterday. I'll see what milage I get on £15 again, and I'll be back Smile

Have a good weekend Diffs afro

Tara
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:49 pm

Maybe I will have to drive mine more carefully Razz

Might get better economy....
But economy is so tedious really Razz

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:39 pm

But economy is so tedious really Razz

Ho ho
but think of the plusses of driving carefully........

Think of the money you would save over a year in fuel Exclamation

Taking it easy behind the wheel reduces stress levels, and lessens the chance of a stroke or heart disease. bom

Is 'greener' - lessens your carbon footprint and benefits the environment flower (Sleep, I know, but true)

Less chance of a crunch on the road - therefore money saved in repairs expense Crying or Very sad

Prolongs the life of your li'l van Very Happy

Oh and starting a convoy on a twisty narrow country road is cool man! lol! (ten four rubber ducky)

Tara x
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:33 pm

tara100 wrote:Oh and starting a convoy on a twisty narrow country road is cool man! lol!

Joining a convoy on a twisty road with no chance of overtaking is one of the most frustrating things ever. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:26 pm

I disagree...

Driving slowly is boring so I will get annoyed and probably crash Razz

And just to correct you, its 10-4 rubber duck...
not ducky Razz

Need to get a CB radio for the van Smile

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:53 pm

difflock123 wrote:I disagree...

Driving slowly is boring so I will get annoyed and probably crash Razz

I agree or should that be disagree anyway, I have tried a week driving the van carefully and used the same amount of fuel as when I drive quick even my missus prefers me going quick coz I get borded and start fiddling around and not looking at the road.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:24 pm

rich the mechanic wrote:
even my missus prefers me going quick coz I get borded and start fiddling around and not looking at the road.

Ooer Very Happy I would think she would like it Very Happy

Sorry...I'll get my coat Smile

Being serious though, driving slowly is boring...
If I am stuck in traffic I normally start working out what all the buttons on the radio do, or read the (many) warning stickers Smile

Much more fun to howl the tyres pulling away, or drifting around a roundabout Smile

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:46 pm

I once drove her down a road that she directed me down near where she grew up and when we got to the T-junction at the other end of which there are are no other turnings she claimed to be lost cos she had never got along the road so quick (it was a fast auto that I used to really abuse) I still rib her about it to this day Exclamation I'll probably get a slap if I keep on about it.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Very Happy Laughing lol!

fair enough Smile
What was the car?

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

only a 1.4 auto 206 pug but they are like a gokart I think my record speed over a emergency service type speed hump was 50 sumething and back road driving was great in sport mode.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top