Elwood's Guinea Pig Mexican Sunset Bus.

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Elwood's Guinea Pig Mexican Sunset Bus.

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Sorry HJ, in the earlier post I was talking about the plug on the bottom of the rad, in the latter I was talking about the plug that the relay connects to under the passenger seat.

The bottom hose wasn't hot, but I flushed the rad properly and bled everything through according to your youtube video, the blowers are hot too.

Are you thinking that maybe the fan shouldn't even be kicking in yet?
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 pm

On some I've noticed which are overheating...

When some dude turns up to buy a replacement fan switch.

They will have drove to me here in crewe for quite some distance.

Yet the bottom hose is not hot.

Now the fan will never kick in if this is the case.

And the problem has still not been found.

You can test the fan switch, with a multimeter and a blow lamp.

Put switch in the vice, connect a multimeter to the terminals some how.

Warm it up gently.

Circuit will me made when the fan switch gets to about 95 degs C

But if the pipe isn't even hot, is it worth testing a fan switch that won't be working yet?!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Hmmmmm, I see what you're saying.

I'll order a water pump tomorrow.

ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:24 pm

I've yet to see a failed Hijet water pump.

Did you test your new Thermostat before you fitted it?

Thermostats nowadays are awful in quality.

Did you fit it with the wiggle pin at 12 o'clock?

Did you flush the radiator in both directions to make sure it flowed OK?

Is your radiator cap in good condition, and the seal points in the caps fitting hole in good condition?

Do your coolant pipes get nice and hard when the engine is warm?

Loads of questions hey!!!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:34 pm

I think you're right about the water pump because I could see the flow when I revved with the cap off.

I didn't test the new stat but I did fit with the pin at the top.

I flushed the radiator all through for ages but thinking about it again I don't reckon it was coming out as fast as I would've liked.

Caps are new and I rubbed the seal points nice and smooth.

The top pipe gets properly hard but the bottom not so much.

So, radiator it is then I reckon, I'll put some rad flush in at after work and drive it home, drain it and refill it, see if that works.

Does that seem right?

Don't worry about the questions, I like help!
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

ElwoodLivesey wrote:
The top pipe gets properly hard but the bottom not so much.

It is all one system, so the pressure will be the same everywhere. Both pipes will be equally hard - in theory.

It's very hard to give an exact answer over a keyboard and distance, if I could fix things without working on them, I could get pretty wealthy!

But at the end of the day, you can only test and inspect the items you have, and change what is known faulty, randomly replacing parts on a hope will solve little except reducing your current account Laughing 

If your pipes are nice and firm its always a good sign that at least your holding pressure sort of properly, so things like the rad cap isn't buggered.

Ensure that you are not purging excess water into the header tank - once fully cooled remove the metal rad cap under the passenger seat and make sure there is no "air gap" under there e.g. it should be 100% full of water.

Let it warm up from cold stationary, and feel the pipes and radiator to make sure what does and doesn't get hot.

If the radiator bottom return hose doesn't get hot, look again at thermostat - take it out and refit the thermostat housing empty, remove both coolant hoses off the engine,  so you can make sure you can pump plenty of water through the radiator either way, and through the engine both ways. You'll make a big wet mess with your hose pipe!!

At the end of the day, if you can pump water through those two sections fine. If you rebuild it with the now tested in a pan thermostat in place - fill it full of coolant, there should be no reason why the bottom radiator return hose won't be hot!! If you really wanted you could remove your water pump, inspect and clean it, and refit with some instant gasket etc - it wouldn't take long, and would reduce your doubt of one item or another.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Ok, update, I may have been exaggerating/paranoid/remembering incorrectly about the high temp. I drove the 8 miles to work this morning and back just now and the temp sits at right of centre and moves up a little more then comes down to right of centre again, I can get it a little lower with the blower on. It seems to coincide with with a drop in volts on my gauge (forgot to say fitted voltmeter and temp gauge, though not hooked up the temp yet) so the fan may well be coming on. The 'bottom' hose is warm, so could it be that my rad is working well and that's why the hose is warm by the time I stop? I haven't lost any coolant either. Also, my front indicator lense is missing, do people steal these or are they prone to falling off?
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Falling off!

I have one if you need one Wink

Also, do make sure your fan runs, just let it tick over on the drive/road for about 20 minutes from cold or less when warm.

If you don't have a fan, one day in slow moving traffic like a big tailback from traffic lights, you will be in panic watching your temp gauge begging to get some air through the radiator!!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:17 pm

HJ, I'll take the indicator please, drivers side if it matters, do you have a boot handle and window winders too?

I'm already in constant panic mode about the temp, watching every little movement, I'm amazed I haven't stacked into a wall yet. I'll do your tickover test tomorrow dinner break.

Can you get hold of bodywork parts too, like sills and non rotten versions of corners behind sliding doors? MOT at the end of next month and I've got a few bits to do.
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 pm

P.S is that position on the temp gauge normal?

Thanks.
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 pm

I will cut bits off vans for people, as long as the van is work cutting the bits off!

I do not have a boot handle,

But I do have a pair of window winders I think.... well at least 1 anyway, maybe 2.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks HJ, while I'm waiting for those bits I've got a couple of other questions-

Does anyone have a rough idea of a price for welding new sills and sliding door rear corners on both sides? I'd usually plug away at it myself for about a week but this time I've decided if I can afford it then I'll get someone else to do it.

I've noticed that after dry or nearly dry steering my steering tends to pull to the side I was steering for a few bumps then it goes away. Does anyone know why this is? I haven't had a proper look at the steering set up because of work/rain/hurricanes but it looked pretty simple and I can't get my head around what could temporarily move to cause it.
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:25 pm

If you can find panels then your on a winner failing that it's find a scrapper and cut any good bits off or speak to JK or Woody a for paying some one no idea always done my own.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:54 am

Hello everyone, Rich, thanks for the advice and congrats on the MOT.

HJ thanks for the bits all fitted now. Do you have an idea of a price for the 'sills' including the bit of rear arch in the sliding door corner if you have any worth having? The MOT is at the end of the month and I think it will definitely fail on that.

Also are these kits any good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIHATSU-HIJET-HI-JET-TERIOS-1-3-HEAD-GASKET-SET-/120336887871?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AHijet&hash=item1c04a3303f

and where can I get shocks, springs and track rods other than dealers? I'm having trouble in my usual haunts.

Thanks.

ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by raydreadz on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:23 am

That's the kit I've just fitted.... the head, exhaust, EGR gaskets & camshaft seal are all good, probably the valve seals are ok but I didn't have the need to change them yet.
The head cover gasket is no good unless you want to cut off the lugs around the fixing holes (not ideal) I cleaned up the old one with rubber lube....
Couldn't see where the O ring fitted or the other smaller gaskets go... maybe for the Terios. Could have done with a throttle body gasket in there.

Definitately useable, It's the only one I've used so I have nothing to compare it to.... maybe others will recommend another.
I hope that helps.

raydreadz
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 am

I've used a few of them and quite happy so far!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:09 pm

with reference to the steering pulling to one side i'm sure I have seen it reported before and it was something sticking but the only thing I could find on searching was this thread:

Steering Pulling

Post by blane on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 pm
Hello there, I've got a strange thing with my steering.
When i put steering in full lock (or nearly) when i straighten back up the steering pulls to that side, the left or right depending on which lock it was on. It does this for half a mile (give or take) then goes back to normal. A mechanic took a look and said everything looks o.k. and it only passed it's m.o.t. in December with no steering problems. So is this normal on a HiJet ?
Cheers, Blane.

blaneMember

Re: Steering Pulling

Post by fupabox on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 am
check the upper strut bearings..they can get a little sticky..they are not really greaseable but you can lube them with a spray lube to keep them from binding...Also check the front mounting of your panhard rod (goes from the lower control arm forwards and bolts through a mount with a front and rear rubber bushing) this controls forward and rearward movemnt of the wheel and keeps it centered in the wheel well...if one of the front bushings is worn it could cause the wheel move slightly..... and would pull.....

anyone else remember the cure for this?

xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:27 pm

on other cars ive heard of stiff ball joints causing this problem.
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks for that, it does sound like my problem so I think I'm heading towards sealing the bottom of the bus, new suspension parts, head gasket, skim, new hoses and radiator over Christmas and then painting and kitting out in the new year, if I could only find the parts!
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:50 am

Cure to the steering pulling is easy, pretty much all hijets do it!

If you turn the steering full lock to the right for example, then straighten up.

Afterwards they pull to the right!

Then if you then turn the steering a fair bit to the left, and straighten it back out.

Then they drive straight afterwards.

Every time I do a U turn in the road, my van will pull to the right. If I slow down and turn to the left for a moment and straighten out, then they go in a straight line.

All the Hijets I have drove have done this! My Silver 21k mile one, my white 35k one, my 80k red one, and all the ones I've taken for a test run for visitors and the ones I've brought home.

It's pretty typical for cars with McPherson strut front suspension to do this, but only really noticeable if they have no power steering and/or the top bearings are crap.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:31 am

jet warrior indeed
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:11 am

I see. Well I expect my creaky steering, pull and shite shock means that the bearing is knackered. Does anyone know where I can get shocks, springs and bearings and track ends from? Fleabay only seem to do shocks for 1.0's or are the parts the same?

In other news, the sliding door fell off the other day, the top rail just came of, only looks to have one screw hole with no screw in it, is that normal? obviously not the missing screw!

More bad news, she was running a little rough the past couple of cold mornings and had a little white smoke going up the first hill on the way to work but running sweet after a couple of minutes. Lost a tiny bit of coolant under the cap, bit high in the expansion bottle and mayo in the top of the oil filler but not the dipper. Looks like the head gasket might be getting done earlier than expected damn it!
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:26 am

I'm looking into those bits for my 1.3 myself and not coming up with much. My supplier lists track control arms and lower suspension arms but the latter is ludicrously expensive and the pictures are unclear. I really need to start stripping to get a better idea but not had time lately. My supplier lists this:

but that may give you some part numbers I haven't looked yet and I desperately want these that 8bitash found:

if only.....

Also if I remember rightly the sliding door upper runners are (very poorly) spot welded on?
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:41 am

Ooooohhhhhh.... how much for them shockers and where did he find them?

At least the ends are available somewhere.

I also need to start stripping things down so it looks like I'll be bussing to work again for a while.

I remember looking under the bus and seeing what I thought were inner track rods but one looked like it had a dent, which I assumed was an indent for a spanner but I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a bend and I've had so much going on with the motor and work that I can't even be sure it's this motor I was looking at. Too much stress for this time of year.
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:43 am

there in japan for 1550000000000000 yen and out of stock!
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Bit of a long shot, I don't suppose anyone on here has a list of what size coolant hoses and jubilee clips you need to replace all the original ones? I'm going to pimp it up a bit when I do the head gasket and get some red ones, maybe a new radiator too but I'd like to have all the bits ready to go rather than measuring up and ordering when it's all apart..... unless.... I might port and polish the head while it's off, that would give time for hoses to arrive, hmmmmm....
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Soooo....

I started stripping down the head but I was foiled by an exhaust fannymould bolt, I know from experience not to bother with it for about three hours so I quit while I was ahead and will deal with it next time. 

I started porting and polishing the inlet manifold and am surprised at the quality of the original molding, very good, but there was some room for improvement, however I took the other pictures on the work phone so this one of the freshly humbrol'd rocker cover will have to do until I figure out how to use the other phone.

I'm not going mad on the porting & polishing, no heavy material removal, just port matching, a good polishing and casting imperfection removal. 

As for the shockers it looks like eBay Italia so far unless anyone has any info?
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:01 pm

" />" />

Getting there...
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by raydreadz on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Jesus! I thought I was getting carried away..Smile  That looks great, is that all with a dremel?

I wanted to clean out the inlet manifold on mine while I had it stripped but thought it best left alone until i knew how to do it properly, I didn't want to loosen grime that later blocked up something later. I guess you'll strip the throttle body too?
raydreadz
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Nice work Elwood Wink 
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top