Hijet 1.3 TWIN CAM... (errm, I mean, broken camshaft)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hijet 1.3 TWIN CAM... (errm, I mean, broken camshaft)

Post by raydreadz on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Ah ok Smile  good to know.

I nicked the missus's glass hob scraper, used a small fine brass brush & lubed them both with brake cleaner. Didn't take that long.
raydreadz
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by nc30 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Just a quick update, fully bled the cooling system, it's nice and full of antifreeze now. Got just about every little bubble of air out of there! It's also had it's second oil change (it needed it!)The van sits and idles beautifully, the loudest noise is the injectors it's that quiet! Tested the radiator fan worked, and it did. No bypass switches here! Got it up to temperature today (it took quite a while just idling!) and the fan kicked in and did it's job as it should. Really really pleased with this little van, everything works exactly as it should, heater is working perfectly. Only slight problem is I can't get the back carpet to strech onto the little poppers, but I think once it's a little warmer it should be fine. It's about 5mm too short at the moment! I'm missing a passenger side mirror and rear view mirror, and a rear wiper arm, once I've got hold of these it's MOT time! Hooray!
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Sounds good so far!

I've spent all day on one today, to prove that it is 100% the head gasket that had gone.

But I found 3 coolant leaks on it, and a blocks idle control valve - which will have been the original cause.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Oh and the timing belt was on wrong, timing set up wrong to make it run, water pump leaking, and the thermostat housing was leaking.

Not much!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by nc30 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Wow, that one's had a pretty hard time it seems! People have a funny habit of molesting vehicles and creating a web of new problems. Bikes especially. I think I'm pretty lucky in that mine was owned by a business before me, and nobody bothered to touch it after it went bang (apart from possibly a garage who removed the thermo housing and cam sensor to discover the problem).

Dad took the original oil from mine to the tip today, apparently it poured away like jelly. Wonder how long it was in there! I now suspect the original thermostat got stuck closed, the fan sensor never got hot water near it due to stuck thermostat, fan never came on, engine got VERY hot, and over time this did something nasty to the oil.

By the way HJ, do you have a spare passenger door mirror available? I was in two minds about putting bike mirrors on it, but I'm tempted to keep it all original now.

Cheers
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nc30 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:44 pm

MOT passed!!!!! Hooray!!!
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:58 pm

nc30 wrote:
Logi - Now I can start thinking about fitting those alloy wheels Very Happy:D
Twisted Evil 
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Well done!!! Hope your road test go well now Smile
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by raydreadz on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Congratulations!
raydreadz
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by nc30 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Quick update - van is still alive and kicking! Done about 850 miles now, using it for multi-drop deliveries (around 60 stops, 6 days a week) so it's been worked bloody hard and hasn't really complained too much. Replaced about 12 of the hose clips with jubilee clips at the weekend and it got treated to a new (working) lower rad cap today. I also fitted one of those amazing £15 parcel racks earlier and a radio centre console I've had a couple of weeks. Other than blowing some coolant into the expansion tank and not vacuuming it back up, it's been perfect. Had to top up the coolant a couple of times, but hopefully the new cap will solve this! It seemed to be fine when I re-bled it and got it up to temp earlier, sucked plenty of coolant back into the system. It's amazing how much glycol expands!!
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:44 pm

They're good when they work Smile
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Make sure the fitting where the cap seats is good. I use a rotary brass wire brush to clean it up nice, then I have a little round rotary grinding stone that I finish the seal point with.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Plus, your hoses should be pretty damn firm to squeeze when warm, this shows the systems holding pressure properly.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by nc30 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Hoses are nice and firm when running (usually!)... But... Still getting a bit of coolant going into the expansion tank though, thus a gap under the rad cap. I must have an air leak somewhere, so when it cools the easier option is to suck air in from somewhere than water from the expansion tank. Squeezing the bottom hose when it's not running I hear bubbles sloshing about in there sometimes. Will be pressure testing with some fairy liquid soon when I get a chance. There's SO many flippin hose clips!! I still have a good few left to do yet. I'm confident there's no head gasket issues so far, no foam in the coolant and oil is only now turning a sort of peanut-brown colour. I'm going to give it another oil change as a xmas present Smile. Cheers guys.
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top