rotten brake pipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

rotten brake pipe

Post by mikehn on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:29 am

van failed its mot today, darn corroded brake pipe near the back axle on the off side, I had a look and the petrol tank is in the way of tracing it back.
I suppose I will have to drop the tank:cry: but if any one out there has any ideas to make my job easier i'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

mikehn
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Re: rotten brake pipe

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:14 am

Once youve disconnected it you should be able to tell where it goes a bit better by moving it and pulling it etc. Then cut it at a suitable place which is easy to work at and thread the new pipe over the top of the fuel tank. Bit fiddly but ive done it before on an audi A3 Smile 
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehn on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the suggestion, looks like i've a busy Sunday ahead of me.
Wink

mikehn
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:33 pm

I say don't fuck about, drop the tank out and make yourself some room.

That way you can clip the pipes back properly afterwards so they don't rub against stuff, where they can wear through or just plain rattle.

But that brings the whole fuel tank dropping game into play, which is in my opinion a very easy task - yet I've heard of someone take a day to just change a fuel tank but I'm sure that wasn't the vans fault.

When you try to connect on to the old pipe, you need to try and flare the steel tubing, which is an arse compared to copper, so at least if you've got a load of room to do it, you may find that it actually took you less time, with less struggle and a better finish, than trying to go with a shortcut.

p.s. they always fail on the MOT on brake lines near the LSPV.

p.p.s bleeding the brakes afterwards is a pain unless you know "the way" of doing an lspv based system.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Got to agree about the steel brake pipes, possibly the best quality, thickest steel on the bloody vans Rolling Eyes 
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehn on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Just back indoors after a shufti under the van, i think I may have to drop the tank as I suspect i may have a slight leak along the seam of the tank, I think that's the Christmas budget blown. Ah well its 1999 but has only 26k on the clock,in the last year I did 2300 miles in total. I will be using copper as the brother has some going spare.
Thanks guys

mikehn
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Yeah but what the other guys mean is you will be joining the copper to the original steel pipe which will also need flaring, unless you replace the whole run Wink
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehn on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Flaring tool (borrowed) sitting in back of van Very Happy 

mikehn
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Have a little practice on the steel you cut off somewhere comfy before you have to do it crawling on your back with bits of rust falling in your eyes Laughing 
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by skybo on Sat May 31, 2014 8:38 pm

this Is the job ive got lined up for tomorrow .am dreading taking fuel tank off. better to be safe than sorry maybe have a look at fuel cap leaky issue too

skybo
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top