Scam or what

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scam or what

Post by waz on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Had to buy a new laptop so of to PC world. Picked a Lenovo, then the fun started.
Salesman, do you know that you don't get a disk anymore with a new laptop
Me Yes
Sman you need a memory stick and you will need a 32 gig for this one.
Me ok, no problem
Sman It takes 6 hour to backup but we have done it for you, the sick normaly cost £50 but we will only charge you £40 and save you 6 hours of your time.
Me I did not allow an extra £40 so keep the stick. I will do my own.
Sman Ok I will give you the stick free, boss will not be happy but it is Christmas.
Me Ok

£50 for a memory stick, and a PC own one at that, around a 5er on ebay.
Scam or what
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Re: Scam or what

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:14 pm

You don't get an installation disk with new laptops because its actually on the machine itself... you tend to have to hold down a certain key on startup then they boot into the disk image mode where they will reinstall themself from scratch.

It's all selling something to someone who doesn't know what they are buying!

Lies and fraud!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by waz on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Yes HJ, lucky I knew that and turned down the memory stick. The bit that gets me is trying to sell a stick for £50 when you can get them for a 5er.
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

So true.....

Post by ldv.tek on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Qoute "You don't get an installation disk with new laptops because its actually on the machine itself".

Even more reason to make sure you have a decent way of backing up your hard drive completely because when the hard drive goes pop you have no reinstall media  No 

ldv.tek
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by waz on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 pm

ldv.tek wrote:Qoute "You don't get an installation disk with new laptops because its actually on the machine itself".

Even more reason to make sure you have a decent way of backing up your hard drive completely because when the hard drive goes pop you have no reinstall media  No 

I have bought a memory stick and back up, the point I was making was PC world salesman saying that they cost £50, my mate fell for it and was livid when I told him you can buy them for £5.
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by ldv.tek on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Aye £50 for a stick is a lot of money but on the other hand £50 for a ready made back up is actually cheap for non techie people.
It could save them a lot more than £50 in the future with Microsoft licensing etc.

I would have bought the laptop, purchased a Kingston from ebay and then made my own backup as well  Very Happy 

ldv.tek
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Best thing you could do would be a clean install without all the crap they put on them.

But hey then you hit licence issues, that's why I walked away from Microsoft after continuous disappointment - another poor unfinished OS after another!

Wonder how many people will realize XP D day is coming up in April  Laughing 
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by ldv.tek on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:02 am

Yeah clean install is always the way to go, you can reinstall using the correct version and license key and download the image you need from Microsoft.

Not sure if D Day for XP will effect many people. Third party companys will probably support it for a far while with things like anti virus etc.

I like XP & W7, not convinced on W8 though.

ldv.tek
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:27 am

One day, all those millions of XP users are going to have to let go.... well except China and Africa  Rolling Eyes 

Since going over to linux around 4 years ago entirely for everything I use IT wise, I can say I would never go back to the corporate software game.

Linux does not really suit the typical clueless user though. Unless it is installed and tailored to their needs, which I have done for a few people.

Nor does it suit the people who waste their PC's power playing games. Mindless vector analysis. Get a games console and save a fortune.

No virus's or antivirus, no trojans or spyware, no resource hogging performance loss. No endless windows patches/"updates". Just blistering secure performance entirely for free! And with a liunx machine, you can do anything - it might take you a while to work out how though, but that's the fun of it, it won't be simple or easy, but you can adapt it for anything.

The line that I hear so often is "how can it be good if its free"

How come corporate software is so expensive yet so shocking  Laughing
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by ldv.tek on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 am

Ah I remember the days when Linux was a solution to everything  tongue 
To be honest the reason Microsoft is mainstream is because on the whole it generally works, get a 1000 various pc's lined up and install XP or W7 on them and most of them will install to a working desktop. Try the same with most Linux distros and at least 50% will need tweaking to get a desktop GUI working.
I have always rooted for linux distros but none can compete in a school or corporate environment at present which is a shame.
Shocking prices, totally agree and I think one of the biggest scams is the home/premium/business & Ultimate editions of an operating system.

ldv.tek
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:42 am

I dunno, Ubuntu 10.10 installs on everything I've tried first time. The only snag I've hit is some of the wireless card "drivers", they tend to have to be ran in the NDIS wrapper.

Although the latest Ubuntu 12 is a POS with the new unity desktop. I personally have shifted over to Linux Mint now.

I know of a few businesses which are now running all Linux PC's, and they have never looked back.

A school couldn't do it though as the pupils (and teachers) are all too attached to the windows desktop, and wouldn't accept it as a "proper" computer. Nor would the IT staff actually know what they are doing with it.

I worked as a network engineer from 1999 to 2003, we were an early web host, mail server and DNS link, and in 2002 we shifted all of our servers away from windows 2k over to Linux and they became trouble free almost over night. Our windows servers were such a security problem. We also had maintenance contracts with hundreds of businesses and our biggest headache was the desktop PCs.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by ldv.tek on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:44 pm

We had Ubuntu running in our school and the pupils loved it, the teachers didnt mind it but we just couldnt tick all of the boxes for running educational software that we required  Sad 

ldv.tek
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:32 pm

ldv.tek wrote:We had Ubuntu running in our school d  Sad 

Is he as fast as Usain Bolt? Razz
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:39 pm

ldv.tek wrote:We had Ubuntu running in our school and the pupils loved it, the teachers didnt mind it but we just couldnt tick all of the boxes for running educational software that we required  Sad 

Why not, you can run almost all windows software within Ubuntu. There is not a single windows application that hasn't worked in WINE for me. Albeit they do take some fiddling to get them working, but once those teething problems are sorted they run trouble free.

What school did you go to? I'm intrigued, and impressed that there is somewhere seeing the light.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top