Two Holy Grails in one day !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Two Holy Grails in one day !!

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:53 pm

Last Friday I bought a Y reg Hi-Jet van for £250. It was advertised on Wighbay and I phoned straight away then went over cash in hand. It had two good headlights so it was worth £250 if nothing else but for the headlights. For that money it had to be a breaker with gasket problems I guessed.

It had done 78,500 miles and had a months tax still left, but no mot . I started the engine and it was really sweet. I didnt take it for a drive though. The tyres were all good and had two stonking spares. Only problem was a bash in the n/side sliding door and rear corner.
It was covered in blue and white business signs 10 in all. It had a pair of ladder bars on top too. I hummed and arred about it to make him feel uncomfortable but I as soon as I had seen the headlights I had made up my mind.

He disapeared into the garage and came out and proudly presented me with a new unfitted EBay Cargo Rack. ( that makes four I have got now ). So sold to the bald headed gentleman.!!

I arranged to pick it up the next afternoon and was already thinking what I could get for the parts. My son Stewart took me over Friday and I drove it back. Once it got up to temperature I gave it a real good thrashing and it went like a scalded cat. It is the quickest Hi-Jet I have ever driven. Going out of our village it is 6mph faster than my MPV at the brow of the hill -- 61mph as opposed to 55mph.
As soon as I got back I booked an mot for 8-30am Monday then attacked the signs with a hair drier and had them all off in just over an hour.
Then Monday took it for mot and apart from a brake-light bulb it went straight through with no advisories at all. Gobsmacked.!!

Thrashed it back and parked it up until today.
First thing I did was nick the headlights and replaced them. Then the first Holy Grail moment. I started a spring clean and took the rubber mats out of the footwell and I found a carpet that wasn't holey so it was Holy.
Its only the second undamaged carpet I have ever had. So out came the mat as did the two seats and the mats under the seats too and finally a near perfect rear floor carpet too all to be replaced with tattier items.

Then another eureka moment. I suddenly realised another Holy Grail moment. BOTH OUTER DOOR HANDLES WORK. So I --- no I didn't-- I couldn't be bothered -- however thinking about it now maybe I might just .....

Will finish tidying and robbing it tomorrow and then put it back on Wightbay for £645 and take £595 hopefully--- that and a superb list of good bits I have robbed off it too. A good bargain for my £250 I reckon. Its a hard life. Laughing  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Re: Two Holy Grails in one day !!

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:15 am

Finished robbing the van yesterday -- had the two perfect rear lights out of it and replaced them too. But also put a good n/s sliding door on and knocked out the dent on the back quarter panel too. So its up together now and ready to sell.

I have got a Transit Luton body being delivered on Monday to give me some more storage space . So got a few vans to shift tomorrow to make room for it to be lifted in place by a  Manitou hydraulic mobile fork lift.
Then onto the next van for sale -- the LPG one I bought for £450 about a month ago. Got to finish putting everything back on that I took off to buff all the paintwork up. Should look pretty reasonable when finished and should sell easily with the bonus of LPG.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top