Just saying Hi to everyone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just saying Hi to everyone

Post by Sootyvan on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Guys, and Girls if appropriate?
I am the happy owner of a 1.3 Hijet, which may look a bit odd as I am 6 foot tall, and weigh about 3 Oxen in old money. Heres the thing, I bought my little Van a year ago for £400 with about 4 months MOT remaining. I put an exhaust on it which was just over £100 and got another 12 month ticket, so all in all, its happy days.
My passion is classic motorcycles, which oddly fir in the back when jiggled to slot corner to corner. I must say its not the prettiest of vehicles, but just like ugly dogs, their owners love them. I like my van, everything works, it doesnt overheat, flies up the Motorway ay 60mph, it will go faster but the sensation of life preservation suggests thats fast enough. £30 fills the tank and I get reasonable mpg, all in all, few vehicles offer such value.
A recent knock on the door, a passing bloke asked what did I want for it, I said a newer one and £500, but he pestered and pestered so I told him maybe late in the year, if he offered me £600 I may sell it. I was out at the weekend, it wasnt long before my backside was numb, but then it was just cruising along and I thought, I dont really want to sell it anyway, I do like it.
I have issues with it, the only thing I dont think does work is the low fuel lamp, but I have never run it right down to find out. The fan kicks in often and at short notice, you can tell as it rattles, and is usually in slow traffic or when parked up for a minute or two.
It has battery issues! It goes flat and draws about 0.6amp when turned off, which I have yet to get to the bottom of, and will look for answers on here.
I will get some pictures up soon, its nothing special, but as I say about dog, only their owners can love them, and I love my Sooty Van, it rocks!

Sootyvan

Back to top Go down

Re: Just saying Hi to everyone

Post by Logi on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:49 am

Welcome along. Smile

You already have the Hijet you want, a reliable one... Wink
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 am

Welcome to the forum! The fuel light is likely to be corroded wiring at the sender end Wink
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:11 am

welcome  Smile 

Sootyvan wrote: flies up the Motorway ay 60mph, it will go faster but the sensation of life preservation suggests thats fast enough.

Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing 
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:14 am

That battery drain might be the starter motor, I have seen it before.... but no promises mind you!

On the battery positive connector there is 1 big wire which does the starter motor, and two little wires which one powers the EFI system and the other does all the other bits.

Disconnect each one and see which is causing you current leak.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sootyvan on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Guys, already 'loving' the friendliness from you all.
I intend to have a few hours with the spanners out at weekend, a tweek here a twist there, and find those minor glitches. I will keep you posted, and get a few snaps now I have figured that one out!
Particular thanks to FrontBack2Side and Highly Jetted. I hope to eventually offer value and fun for you all.
Sootyvan

Sootyvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklord on Mon May 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Hello Sootyvan.
Welcome to the forum. Like you I'm 6' 1" and I manage to cram myself into the seating area. I put some spacers under the front bolts of the drivers seat to increase the rake angle and have a more relaxed seating position. I love my little sooty van. Although It's been a learning journey on fixing all of the previous scouse bodges.  Neutral 
This forum will help you out with these vans. Most of the members have already 'been there done that'.
Steve.
Darklord
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon May 12, 2014 3:01 pm

If you put Smartcar seats in a Hijet, the rails mean you can get more leg room Wink
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklord on Mon May 12, 2014 4:05 pm

What's the height like?
Darklord
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon May 12, 2014 5:25 pm