Full Head gasket set, skiming.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Full Head gasket set, skiming.

Post by leopard_pagan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:48 am

after everything i have tried with the overheating.. took it in to a garage who did a pressure, chemical and general check. diagnosis= head gasket gone (did suspect as much) as there is exhaust in the coolant.
been advised to also pressure test and skim the head while i am at it. a local company can do this £70 ish for both, anyone know of a cheaper company?

so.. where have you lot bought full gasket sets from and how much?
have seen em on ebay from £25. the jap parts site lists a "full" set for £60 odd.
also the garage mentioned i should get new head bolts.... surly if the old ones come out ok, that they can be re-used?
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Full Head gasket set, skiming.

Post by emmabskin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Bit of a long way to come to Bath so not a lot of good you knowing we get it done for less. They are sneaky little devils those head gaskets, seems like they're ok but in the end you find they've had a tiny crack in them all along. We went to France and back like that, bleeding the whole system through every time we had to stop. It would be fine until a peage and then would chuck all it's water out 5 miles down the road. Still there's not much he doesn't know about the cooling system now. Practise makes perfect as they say. Emma
emmabskin
Chatterbox

http://daihatsuhijet.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:05 pm

who do you have it (skimming?) done with in bath?
i can post this anywhere in the UK for fairly cheap.
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by emmabskin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi, just spoke to Tony and he reckons with the pressure testing that's not a bad price you pay. He gets the head skimmed for £35 at Beales of Bath, if that's of any good to you. Cheers Emma
emmabskin
Chatterbox

http://daihatsuhijet.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:01 pm

£63 but not sure if it inc VAT for pressure test and skimming.. or "refacing" from http://www.ivorsearle.co.uk/
as its local to me i dont have to pay extra for postage.

cheapest on ebay?
£50 for both testing and skimming http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260639813448
+ postage on top

a "full" gasket set £23 inc VAT but not postage from a par finder type site. will post details later. want to phone them up before i place an order.

also trusty Ken from Woodford Daihatsu told me that the head bolts for my van are NOT stretch bolts and do not need replacing unless they are fucked... but a full kit is £35 ish + VAT.
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Get the new bolts....

I would be shocked if you dont break at least one bolt when removing them....

Been there so many times....

Good luck with the rebuild Smile
Keep us posted...

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:09 pm

I have had the head off mine twice and reused the bolts both times and I used Gosnays in Romford to skim the head I didn't bother with the pressure test I was clear that the head was warped and the gasket failed for that reason alone. Don't know what the presure test costs but the head skim I think they quoted me £45 for the skim but as I am local and trade and I did all the prep work so they only had to bolt it straight down and take the cut thats not what I paid.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:22 am

if i mess up a bolt, it'll be replaced. but i wont buy a whole kit until that happens.. and even then i will replace that one bolt.
same for manifold bolts.. which i know will be the hardest ones to do, plenty WD40 to soak in before hand!

some companies do have an extra charge to strip down if they have to. aim to do as much as we (tyson and i) can + try and clean it up for them.
pressure test is purely for peace of mind, so i know its been done/passed.

had the "discussion" with tyson and my mum (doing the is it work it speech) about scrapping/repairing/lump swap. i've said that do the fix and we know its been done, its 1997 van so i am guessing its happened before.. or its the first time. i only have history from the last owner (of 4).
been offered £300 for the van as it stands and if i took that option i would strip out the rear seats/belts (£50-80 ebay), tow bar/fittings (£50+), rear window guard (£20-40), new rear carpet + MPV passenger feet carpets (£20-50)
i'd still not be able to afford to buy another van as most start at £5/600!
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Out of interest what do you mean by exhaust in the coolant? Still trying to workout why mines losing water then overheating.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:48 am

depending where the gasket fails depends on what "symptoms" you see. if where the water travels, you get that milky stuff. mines gone where i get exhaust fumes mixed in to the coolant.

been getting quotes for head skimming from £20-60! there is a lady on ebay that does it too.
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:37 pm

You could lap the head if you wanted....

I have done it on lawnmower, stimmer and bike engines before...

Its time consuming, but cheap....

All you need is some emery paper of varying grades, some 3-in-1 oil, and a piece of plate glass (can get that from a local window place for a few quid Smile)

Skimming is easier though Razz

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:13 pm

I have done bike heads like that but it takes ages to get any sizeable amount off and personally I wouldn't want to do it on anything bigger than a twin as getting a big enough sheet of emery or wet and dry you can't cut the whole head surface all over in one go also it's a good idea to use some engineers blue to make sure you keep it flat and that you move it in a figure of eight. The same technique but with cutting paste you can lap a head on to a barrel and go without a head gasket on a two stroke air cooled motor then a couple of base gaskets and you have advanced induction and raised compression. Cool
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:07 pm

I thought I would just mention it as it may interest some people Very Happy

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content