Heatgasket 1.3 efi

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heatgasket 1.3 efi

Post by 8bit-ash on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:01 am

Crying or Very sad There seems to be a recurring theme in the workshop section.
Well after another airlock from water loss I bit the bullet and faced up to the fact that I needed to pop into the garage and get a sniffer in the rad cap. As expected the reading was off the scale so looks like its time to get my hands dirty. I've got a feeling the head will be warped as it looks like its had a new head gasket quite recently.
Has anyone got any papers on changing the head gasket on one of these? The manual is a bit waffly.

Let the fun begin
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: Heatgasket 1.3 efi

Post by leopard_pagan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:46 am

manuals all i have to go on + common sense.

have had a good service from the company i am getting my gasket set from. will post their details later as left them at work.
£28 inc next day delivery for a full set.
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:40 am

Cool, I'm now unsure again if mines gone or not. First place I took to do a sniffer test told me it hit the roof and the head gasket was gone. Thought i'd just confirm by trying another place and they said it didn't barely register and was fine. I'm going to fix my leaky joint today and get a new rad cap under the seat then give it another week see what happens.
I have no other symptoms at all apart from water loss thats the annoying bit, I was told if you crank the engine with the rad cap off it should bubble up and jump out if the headgaskets gone. It doesn't.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by emmabskin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:01 am

Have you definately got rid of the air lock? Idea
emmabskin
Chatterbox

http://daihatsuhijet.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:10 am

I've made a funnel which fits tightly in the rad cap hole under the seat. Its high enough to rise above the highest point. I fill it while the engine is running with the heater on. I hope thats enough to get all the air out.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by emmabskin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Not so good with 1300's but you've got another cap, if you follow the heater bleed pipe along you'll find it capped off. Take that off then when you bleed it through until water comes out then put caps back on, carry on filling until it comes out of the bleed pipe then cap it off. On the 993 it's at the front of the van above the radiator but on yours it's on the inside. Hope that sorts it.
emmabskin
Chatterbox

http://daihatsuhijet.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:21 pm

I haven't got that bleed nipple as thats where the LPG branches off, Had me quite confused until I saw another 1.3 without LPG.
I'm now at the point where i'd just like a nice big plume of white smoke out the back.
I borrowed a chemical tester today and twice it read that the head gasket was fine. Think i'm going to bypass the heater and the LPG for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:23 pm

Can I just confirm also that it wouldn't matter if the thermostat was open or closed to affect the reading of hydrocarbons in the coolant? The van was hot but couldn't guarantee the thermostat was open.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:05 pm

If the thermostat isnt opening then no coolant is being circulated to the radiator...

Take the thermostat out and test if you wish (will just take a while to warm up)

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:51 pm

the 1.3 has a cap under the seat which is where i'm testing it at. I'm just being stupid really just realised if the coolants hot it shouldn't make a difference. and it was HOT i've got a red arm to prove it. Embarassed
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:02 am

just use the water out the coolant over flow bottle... much safer... Smile
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Finally got around to taking the head off today- This is the first HG i've done, took about 3 hours to get the head off so not too bad, Theres alot in the way especially with LPG too. Anyone with more experience in the field of HG's got any idea whats going on from the pics -

8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 pm

I would say that all four cylinders are blowing across to the water jacket (the lower side as in your first pic) and I would check that the head is flat use a straight edge along, across and diagonal across all 4 combustion chambers you will need to turn the cam round so the valves don't get in the way if it is flat check the rad doesn't have a leak on the back as found ours does after I changed the HG again and on refill wondered why the floor was really wet!!!!!!!!!!
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 am

anyone know if the head bolts are stretch bolts?
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:58 pm

on the 998 EFI the head bolts are NOT stretch.
i phoned woodfords Ken (parts guru) 020 8504 0017 and asked him for a new set. when he phoned back he told me that mine are not stretch type so didnt need a new set.
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum