newby seeks help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

newby seeks help

Post by icky on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi,
Having been a fan of micro vans for years I have now replaced my Acty (Sorry) with a 2003 Hi Jet 1300cc/LPG van.
Having been stood for some time and as I have now retired I thought that this would occupy me and keep the brain cells active.
When I lifted the seats to expose the engine you can imagine my surprise to find a proper 4 cylinder engine with pipes, wires and so many connectors leading to so many electrical bits and bobs.
After spending hours on the web I now realise these are quite advanced but possible temperamental units that require, it seems, a lot of knowledge coupled with an analytical and methodical approach. The former of which on these engines I have little and I am sure the later will follow.More knowledge of rebuilding BMC ‘A’ and ‘B’ engines.
However down to the gritty. I finally got the engine running only for it to splutter to a halt after about 15 secs. Use of the throttle cut out the engine immediately.
Checked air filter – not blocked. Unable to locate choke so assume automatic unit.
Took out plugs and found all very badly sooted and different plug gaps i.e. 28 - 35. (Bosch Super Plugs FR7DCX+ then 305+11markings on plug bodies). Can you suggest any possible cause and confirm the correct plug gap?
When checking liquid levels the water in the hose under the radiator cap was barely visible but was up to the maximum level in the overflow bottle. Is this normal?
Would you consider it prudent to replace the Radiator Cap, Water Pump and flush the water system and Radiator?
I have been unable to source a Service Manuel and to enable me to complete this project I also require the following items.
Front Bumper – N/S headlight (reflector badly rusted) – N/S rear light cluster. Passenger wing mirror glass or whole unit.
Any help or assistance will be gratefully received and appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.
Icky

icky

Back to top Go down

Re: newby seeks help

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 pm

I would not be suprised if your running issue is caused by the fuel system.

If is very common that if the fuel system is not working correctly, trying to press the accelerator pedal causes the engine to splutter out.

Quite often this is caused by fuel pump failure (in the tank), rust in the fuel system, a stuck fuel pressure regulator, or even just no fuel!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by icky on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
The fuel is fresh and when switching the ignition on I can hear a buzzing noise which I assume is the fuel pump. Is there a fuel filter?
Your suggestion of a stuck fuel pressure regulator does at this time seem the favourite but again until I can refer to a Service Manuel I do not know where or what to look for.
I will try to follow the fuel line tomorrow meanwhile thank you again for your quick and helpful response.
icky

icky

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:33 am

I have published every manual I can find here on my website:-

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/manuals-downloads/

You may hear the pump, but it might not be doing very much. They are a common failure item, and sometimes its just the pipe that pops off inside the tank.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:32 am

Welcome to the forum. HighlyJetted's website is a good place to start with the cooling system too, have a good read of all the info he has put on there including a video of the bleeding procedure Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:51 am

welcome  Smile 
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by icky on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I have spent much of the day reading and going thru the excellent manual on my particular van and, to say the least, I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge as I have never come across the technical advancements incorporated into this engine. My 1957 Moggy certainly did not have ECU’s or those funny things on top of the spark plugs.
Once again thank you for kind welcome and your good offices.
Regards
Icky

icky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top