Wheels stud, or rather, lack thereof

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wheels stud, or rather, lack thereof

Post by Eightpot on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:12 am

Hi,

Seems my newly purchased Hijet is trying to emulate my Renault 5 by only having three studs holding on a wheel. Where the fourth should be is merely a dark hole...

Spoke to the vendor and he will supply me "with a new hub" as "it isn't worth bothering with the old hub". So far so good. On looking at the workshop manual it appears that the hub assembly is one and the same as the half shaft and to remove the whole lot including the backplate, bearings, skinnned knuckles, etc., have to be removed from the axle casing. Yikes.

Question is: I'm assuming the studs themselves are merely a splined fit into the rear of the hub, if so are they available (or a suitable alternative) and since one has pulled through is the hub itself now gash?

Ta in advance.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: Wheels stud, or rather, lack thereof

Post by Logi on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:25 am

If the splines are ok just get a new one, or if shagged a wee bead of weld would secure it( assumin yer hole isn't too big....affraid
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:45 am

Sounds good, the mig is currently cooling down from a marathon weldy/grindy sesh over the past few months so can be called upon to bodge effect a lasting repair if needed.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:00 pm

a weld would put it out of balance and cause you problems i reckon. I would see if tour existing hub is damaged at all or whether the stud has snapped and been removed.
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Most likely it has snapped a stud because someone has fitted PCD 4 x 108 ford wheels at some point.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:26 pm

There are firms out there that make offset studs and specials so if the hole is a little large you could get one made to suit that or weld it up and re drill if just a litle loose then the dab of weld will be fine the amout of weight it would add so colse to centre will not make a difference to the balance and if it did you can static balance the wheel in situ and just make it so if you take it off you can put it back in the same place.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top