Stud Extenders??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stud Extenders??

Post by dee26173 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Okay I just got a set of mini Superlites from a mate for my hijet. They matched up with the studs perfectly however the studs are too short and they don't come through the wheel. Is there an easy fix to this or am I going to encounter this with every set of alloys I try? (excuse my ignorance on the matter. I'm really miffed they dont fit cos they look well cool Crying or Very sad )
dee26173
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Re: Stud Extenders??

Post by difflock123 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:01 am

You should be able to get a new set of longer studs...

Not sure where from, but I know a few friends have done it on their cars...

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by dee26173 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:36 am

I take it it's not a straight forward thing to do on a hijet then?
dee26173
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:02 am

I dont know I'm afraid.

I havent changed my wheels...I've still got the stock steel wheels...

Hopefully someone who has fitted alloys will be able to tell you what they did.

I wouldnt think its a major problem though...

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by dee26173 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:11 am

Fingers crossed cos these alloys are a snip at £100.
dee26173
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Type "longer wheel studs" into Ebay, there's plenty on there.
You just need to find the correct stud, which I think is M12x1.5 thread size (double check with someone who knows for sure.)
Then choose the length you require.
I've never changed wheel studs, so I couldn't tell you if it's a pain in the a**e or not. Laughing
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by dee26173 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Many thanks for that info. I'm hoping someone within the forum who has carried this out can shed some light on the matter. I spoke to a chap who runs an alloy shop and he says it's a costly thing to carry out and to "just get a set that fits properly" (dick) Things are never so straight forward with the hijet huh!
dee26173
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by dee26173 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:16 pm

I take it the original studs are welded to the back of the hub? Can I knock these out using brut force, get longer studs, these would then be kept in place by the tightening of the nut and wheel, or am I way off?

If anyone is able to confirm the correct stud sizes I'd be grateful.
dee26173
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:37 pm

I haven't checked but most studs are only pressed into the hubs and it can take a very large amount of force to knock them out alternatively yoi may be able to use a set of T nuts these are like a bolt with a internal thread it'll depend on if you have enough wall thickness (gap between stud and wheel).
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by dee26173 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:30 am

Thank Rich I'll look into that
dee26173
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tukz on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Heat the drum up (off the vehicle obviously!! ;-) ) and then give em a whack!. I have to do mine on Tuki as he came with alloys and the nuts only go on about 2/3rds of the way!.

Last edited by Tukz on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tukz
Centurion

http://www.tuktuktravel.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tukz on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:19 pm

I have just bought some studs off ebay and fitted them yesterday. I bought them off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Longer-Wheel-Studs-12mm-x-1-5-Ford-Cortina-mk3-4-5-/260440872585?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ca37c5689

I ordered the ss36 although think the fs40 would probably have been long enough. The longest you can get to fit without removing the rear hub assembly is the ss36's. The fun is in the fitting!. You have to grind a flat on one side of the head so that it will locate properly on the hub. I would suggest taking one of the originals out so as you understand what I mean about the flat.

The way I did it was: remove the rear drum and disconnect the springs from the shoes. You do not need to disconnect the handbrake cable. If you look through the holes in the hub you will see the four bolts that hold the hub and backing plate in position. The trick is, first of all remove the old stud. I did this by screwing the wheel nut back on so as not to wreck the threads and then give it a good whack with the hammer!. It took a couple of hits that's all and it'll pop backwards. Hold it from behind and remove the wheel nut then slide the stud out. Now to put the new one in you need to make sure the hub is positioned so that the stud hole is near to the top bolts that hold the hub on. Carefully put the new stud with the head in first and aim this slightly above the top bolt that holds the hub. This way it gives just about enough clearance to get it in the stud hole. It takes a bit of a twist but once you have the first one in you soon realise it's quite easy. Once you have got the stud through the hole you need to pull it fully into the hub. As I didn't have any big washers to put over the stud to be able to tighten down on to pull the bolt in, I slide over 2 ring spanners and then tightened the wheel nut down to the spanners to pull the stud through.

Hope this guide helps someone and if you need any advice etc then message me.

Thanks Scotty
Tukz
Centurion

http://www.tuktuktravel.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top