Re: free seats

Post by singledad on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:01 pm

no sorry gone long since

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Where in the country are you?? I have several blue rear folding bench seats and a very rare immaculate green one.

Back to top Go down

Post by travers70 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:23 pm

I'm in warwick. Where are you. I don't mind traveling.

travers70

Back to top Go down

Post by travers70 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 pm

I see your a mechanic I have a smell in my piaggio 1.3 petrol
It seems to come from the air vents do you think it might be because it was standing quite a long time before I brought it. It's only done 25000 miles.

travers70

Back to top Go down

Post by travers70 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:33 pm

And thank you for replying to me so quickly.

travers70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Is it a Glycol chemical smell? If it has been standing for some while then it could be the heater matrix leaking. Is the smell stronger as the engine heats up and with the heater on?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:44 pm

My wife comes up to Tamworth every 4 to 6 weeks up the A34 then M40. She could meet you at the Warwick turnoff with a seat. If you are not in a desperate hurry that is.

Back to top Go down

Post by travers70 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:13 pm

How much do you want for them.

travers70

Back to top Go down

Post by travers70 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:15 pm

The smell doe's not get any stronger is it a big problem.

travers70

Back to top Go down

Post by travers70 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm not in any hurry that would be much appreciated

travers70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Travers. Sorry but I had forgotten about your post about the seat(s). Firstly, Is it the two middle fold- forward individual seats you need or the rear folding bench seat that you are in need of. Secondly is it an MPV ( with Windows in the side doors and quarter panel??
If it is a plain van then you have major problems as they have neither the threaded seat mounting plates in the floor needed for Mot purposes and the mountings for the seat belt stalks between the two seats or more critically on the top of the door pillar or the Base of the pillar inside the body panel the special mounting plate for the seat belt assembly. The seat belt assembly sits at a preset critical angle and thus ordinary seat belts won't do anyway.
Same problem with the rear seat and belts. There are no floor mounting plates for the seat front supports and when the seat is in its down position there is a bracket welded to the wheel arch and floor both sides.
The rear seat belts are static ones fixed once again to the top of the tailgate pillar and the internal bodywork at the Base of the pillar. The seat belt stalks are mounted on the seat frame so the seat mounting and the catch bracket have all got to conform to Mot specs. Of course they can't do as all the aforementioned mounting plates are factory fitted before the final spot welding of the body parts together to form the body.
If that were all possible you then have the issues of insurance having changed the use of the vehicle. They would want an Engineer's Report which of course you couldn't get as it would not be up to Mot standards.

So if you have a van, sorry to dissapoint you. Obviously you could do all that just after the years Mot, but would you want it on your conscience if family members or friends got injured. Your insurance would be null and void, you would almost certainly lose your licence and be faced with massive insurance bills.
And it could be that someone runs into your van and the Insurance Assessor of the other company has to examine your vehicle and spots you home made bodges and refuses to pay out and would have to inform your insurance company. Worth it all? Definitely not. Sell the van and buy an MPV if you want to carry passengers.

Back to top Go down

Post by travers70 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:22 pm

The van has factory fitted mounting plates that is why I thourght I could in stall a seat I have left the van at work so I can't check everything will do it tomorrow. Thank you for your reply. I will message tomorrow once I have checked the seat belt mounts or lack of. Thanks again martin.

travers70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:34 pm

If it is a van then you will find it doesn't have the seat mounting plates or seat belt ones either. There are some 8mm threaded holes in the floor but they are not for the middle seats or the rear bench seats I am sorry to say. If you take the grey interior side panels off too you will see that there are no seat belt mounting plates either. The main give away is the lack of 12mm mounting holes at the top of the door pillars middle and rear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Bear in mind that your slidy doors need to open from the outside if rear seats are fitted at MOT time. Seatbelts are overrated anyway, hit something in a Hijet and you're dead anyway Smile
I got done a couple of years ago, oink had no answer to "what good do you think it'll do me with my knees six inches from the front of a tin can?"
I have a(single) rear seat in mine, it's got it's own belt fitted, no need to worry about mounts, maybe worth looking out for similar?
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Good point Logi. I had a 10mph shunt in a Pickup 3 year's ago and planted my o/s/front corner in the rear n/s/corner of an Astra. It hardly marked the paint of her bumper of her car but wrecked my bumper, headlight and surround, indicator and front panel .
She got out screaming the place down. I managed to calm her down, exchanged details and went on our separate ways. Weeks later I heard from my insurance company that she was claiming thousands for whiplash injuries.
But as there was no damage to her car except paint scratches they were wise to her. Bitch!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:18 am

Hi Travers. Have you had a chance to check out your van yet for seats and seat belt mounting points?

Back to top Go down

Post by martinb on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello Woody, do you still have a bench or seat??? My contact number is 07788127895.
I have a van and doing the Mongol Rally next year in July and need a spare seat/bench I'm not to worried about the MOT as it will run out in September. Martin

martinb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:00 pm

To answer your question, yes have plenty of middle single seats or folding bench seats.
The problem is getting one to you. They have to be well wrapped which is a real pain and since City Link 24hr Delivery Service went under, finding a Carrier is a nightmare for anything over 20 kilos and longer than a metre. It is just too much hassle, quite honestly.
Where in the country are you first of all??

You are a brave man covering that distance. Mind you a friend of mine did the Peking to Paris Rally in a 1948 Allard 3litre V8 Flathead ( side valve engine, rather than overhead valve). He had some amazing shots of the Himalayas and Mount Everest.
One of the guys on here took a 993cc van prepared and painted up like a Fire Tender on a Rally to Rome. He succeeded without any problems. I wish you the same fortune.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Ah, I have just twigged who and where you are Martin. Down in darkest Kent. Can't think of a cheap way of getting one to you and without the hassle of covering it against damage and to stop it damaging the Delivery Driver too.

A good friend of mine, Julie is going to her parents home near Rochester on Boxing day but she has a brand new car and probably wouldn't want to risk scratching the interior or tearing a seat etc. I can but ask.
We do have a fairly large window of time to organise it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by martinb on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks for replying Woody. It is a big window. The Hijet's round myway have have the rear seats removed. I would think you would have a few in your Aladdin's Cave. Well let me know I'm more than happy to make my way to Portsmouth (have family there) If someone was coming over on the ferry I'm more than happy to meet them. Martin

martinb

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:11 pm

hello! I'm looking for the rear bench seats, in London but possibly buying a hijet in Cheshire- anyone have any? I'd have pm'd 'guest' as he says he has loads, but he's a guest apparently so I can't do that..
thanks
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:25 pm

Patience Daniel, 'guest' will return and I'll bet he still has those seats. Are you buying a van though (possibly HJ's, a very good move) or a MPV? If the latter, where are it's seats?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi pfm
I was going to buy an mpv with the seats taken out but have since found and bought a lovely blue mpv 1.3 with all the seats. They look like they've never been sat on..!
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:01 pm

"Guest" should get his butt back here bounce
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by GEORDIE on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Could not agree more Logi Very Happy

GEORDIE
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:41 am

"Guest" has been trying, and failing. System problem, he says. Bit like uploading pics I guess Laughing

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:05 am

PFM wrote:"Guest" has been trying, and failing. System problem, he says. Bit like uploading pics I guess Laughing
lol!
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:09 am

Spoke to 'guest' this morning - he sends his best wishes to all who know him on here, and especially the 'banter crew'. Seems he is genuinely having difficulties getting back aboard, so will try to assist him.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top