Getting a Hijet as a first vehicle?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting a Hijet as a first vehicle?

Post by Chris1000 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi everybody!
I'm currently learning to drive and am thinking about getting a microvan as my first vehicle for:

Visiting Friends / Festivals / camping with GF
Flat moving / renovation.
Fun!

We travel a lot around the UK and it's costing a fortune in trains and taxis.
We are always lugging with a muddy flotilla of wheely cases and bags.
It seems cheaper to run a small footprint camper.

Importantly:
Should I get more practice time in a regular car in my first months of driving?
Will something like a hijet be too wierd for getting my road legs?
Are there any left in one piece?

thanks for any advice!

Chris1000

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting a Hijet as a first vehicle?

Post by elfin girl on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:49 pm

my first car was an austin metro, the hijet feels like the van version! the steering wheel and the dash have the same (plasticy) quality about them and it rattles in the same way! as long as you always keep in mind braking distance then give yourself a bit more (you do not want a head on in one of these) then no reason why you should have any problems, it took me a few runs to get used to the steering column being between my feet but they are pretty easy to drive
as for any left in one piece im sure there are a few, i hope so cos mine isnt going to last forever and id hope to replace with another. i think highly jetted has written a check list somewhere for buying one? (hell be along shortly)
elfin girl
Cinquecento

https://www.facebook.com/bydonellamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forum. Thaey are easy enough to drive, the only thing I can think which would take getting used to is the lack of visibility to the rear with it being a van Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris1000 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks Smile
I'd go for a bongo or similar, but the hijet sounds like it has some of the benefits of owning a small car...
I gather that If I get one of a certain age and configuration, it taxes and isures in a similar small car bracket?

Chris1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Pre 2001 gets you cheaper tax, in the main.

Have you got any insurane quotes yet?

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan 95 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Chris1000 wrote:Hi everybody!
I'm currently learning to drive and am thinking about getting a microvan as my first vehicle for:

Visiting Friends / Festivals / camping with GF
Fun!

We travel a lot around the UK and it's costing a fortune in trains and taxis.
We are always lugging with a muddy flotilla of wheely cases and bags.
It seems cheaper to run a small footprint camper.

Importantly:
Should I get more practice time in a regular car in my first months of driving?
Will something like a hi jet be too wierd for getting my road legs?
Are there any left in one piece?

thanks for any advice!

go right ahead mate!, i'm 18, haven't passed my test yet, love my Hi jet, bought it because i like to be different, not one for small cars, i'm building removable furniture for mine so i can camp in it at festivals and campsites/wilderness camping, also use it for my business, and as a daily driver. haven't got a girlfriend yet but when i do, i know the hi jet has enough space to sleep two Very Happy Very Happy

they're fun and quirky to drive, biggest van i can insure, looked at almost every van including the Mazda bongo/Ford Freda and they weren't cheap, the hi jet is surprisingly spacious
Ryan 95
Centurion

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqJ00eQ5siZ6dizeigXo8_Q

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris1000 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks for the tips folks,
Insurance will be huge, I think. Comparison sites saying over pounds1000... gonna be high whatever I drive until I have more experience...

I never needed a car when I was 18 Ryan, but I wish I'd got my test out of the way earlier. Own car and own business at 18 huh? Definitely going to impress the ladies Smile

Chris1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan 95 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Chris1000 wrote:Thanks for the tips folks,
Insurance will be huge, I think. Comparison sites saying over pounds1000... gonna be high whatever I drive until I have more experience...

I never needed a car when I was 18 Ryan, but I wish I'd got my test out of the way earlier. Own car and own business at 18 huh? Definitely going to impress the ladies Smile

haha, well, i had a car when i was younger, a Hyundai Atos, but started having lessons at the beginning of this yeah, as wanted to get experience driving on the road before i went for lessons Smile

business is i'm a auto electrician and photographer, also fix/sell bicycles lol  Smile

insurance costs me about £58 a month and i'm with go girl, i'm insured through my mum, but the van is in my name, i'm the registered keeper
Ryan 95
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Chris1000 wrote:Visiting Friends / Festivals / camping with GF
Fun!

Sounds like the perfect vehicle!

Cheap to run.

More multi-purpose than a very very multi-purpose thing.

Easy to park anywhere.

Just make sure you buy a good one - like any vehicle really - owning a rough example of anything isn't really great crack!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:09 am

Welcome along Chris. Sounds to me your answer is an MPV as you have great all round visibility, which makes parking easier. They do tend to be a bit heavy on the steering when parking but having a couple of extra Shredded Wheat for breakfast should soon sort that out.

The Hi-Jet is actually SMALLER in footprint than a FORD FIESTA so squeezing in and out of gaps is dead easy and although being small, car drivers still see " A VAN " coming towards them and move over or give way. Visibility is great because you are that much higher up and can squeeze through the gaps that only a mouse could. I would say it is a superb choice for a first vehicle. I have only been driving 42 years and a quarter of that has been in Hi-Jets.

And I have still have my very first Hi-Jet I bought 11 years ago --- that and one or two others
I will admit.
But as for a Mazda Bongo !!! Have you ACTUALLY DRIVEN ONE ? After I left Romahome I worked on them converting them into Campers. As for you DRIVING one it would be like Driving an HGV comparatively. Insurance on a 2500cc Van at 18 years old would be as much as BUYING it in the first place and they are still fetching around £4000 starting price.

NOPE !!!! Stick with the Hi-Jet Chris and build up DRIVING EXPERIENCE first AND No Claims Discount then in 3 - 5 years you can start to think about a bigger vehicle.

You have got a WEALTH of Information and great helpful people on this Forum and not a lot of
" James May Anoraks in Fiat Pandas " (or perhaps Flat Pandas would be a better idea than Fiat Pandas). Nope Chris you are making the right decision BUT as HJ said GET A GOOD ONE. dont go for a cheap one. Bide your time before you get round to taking your Test and buy the right one. More Haste - More Repair Expenses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:18 am

I Just need more computer experience --- the Drivings ok. Who the BLINKING HELL was sending in a post the same time as me?? It threw up the " someone else has posted a message while you were writing this " and Modify or Send Message. Can only have been Logi up before me !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:42 am

go for the hi jet, while others are in the q waiting for that one person to turn right you can squeeze by them all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
my mpv has seen many uses and coped with them all
as woody knows my son has a two year old focus as his first car but he loves driveing the hijet

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris1000 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Awesome stuff!!
I don't know what the inverse of Preaching to the choir is (The choir preaching to me??) But I should have guessed that the advice on here would be - go for it. Had had a good look around the forum and am getting an idea of what to look for thanks to all the info.

I now have however long it takes to pass my test to look for a decent hijet.
The model-based tax and insurance differences seem minimimal compared to overall purchase and running costs. So the priority is -  find a good runner, preferably with windows all round.

If anyone here wants a few hours paid work to inspect ebay/gumtree hijets, let me know. Car nous is a bit limited amongst my family and friends Smile

Tempted by this but I can't drive it away as yet...
_gumtree_com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/hijet-van/1080360060
800 miles? Bust be a sticky 0 key on seller's laptop...

Chris1000

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Now a little caution with that one - something doesn't look quite right to me. Very clean looking though. Have you looked at it yet?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Spoof advert with a pic ripped off the net. If that van was in the uk (deeply unlikely) then it'll be a grey import. Do a google image search for "hijet 1998 japan" and compare the body styling.

The buildings do not look "right" for the UK and those gas cylinders in the background are also not uk spec (they should be orange if supplying propane).

Avoid.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris1000 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Don't worry, posted it for general amusement -  anything too, too cheap is a scam. plus: "800miles?"
If I ever do buy a car via ebay I will be taking a mechanic along to avoid being sold a large cardboard-cutout picture of a car or some magic beans.

Chris1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan 95 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:41 pm

evening all Smile

yeah, be wary buying cars on line, dad and i have done it a lot and been caught out once, luckily we hadn't actually bought the car, someone posted a pic of a completely different vehicle!! Mad

but the hijets are great lol, but do take a mechanic friend a long with you, also have a read of this too

http://hijet.findtalk.biz/t1367-daihatsu-hijet-buyers-guide-a-little-information-for-getting-a-good-one
Ryan 95
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top