The joys of the hard shoulder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The joys of the hard shoulder

Post by Eightpot on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:45 pm

...at 10 to midnight, waiting for the big yellow flatbed to scoop my hijet off the road, on which the van is currently sitting at the end of a long streak of spilt coolant. Still it was nice to watch the moonrise.

Back to square one.

Buggrit.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: The joys of the hard shoulder

Post by FrontBackSide2Side on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 am

what happened? Sad
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 am

Post mortem later, but running down the motorway at 50mph and the gauge shot into the H. Pulled over onto the hard shoulder and saw a trail of coolant down the road behind me. No coolant in the pipes under the seat or in the rad, overfull expansion cap. When refilling excessive steam from the exhaust.  

This was 600 miles after a head gasket change/head skim and thorough going over of the cooling system pipes including replacing the thermostat, caps and any dodgy hoseclips. Since I did the work it had NEVER overheated.  The coolant levels had begun to settle down under the cap after the first dozen or so heat cycles and the temporary gauges I'd fitted to the metal pipes to the rad didn't show anything out of the ordinary.

First point of call will be to drain the remaining coolant and pressure test, compression test and test thermostat. Then go from there.

Suffice to say, I'm gutted. pale

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:16 pm

What thermostat did you use?
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Gates thermostat and rad caps. The thermostat was tested prior to fitting.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 pm

You're presuming it leaked from overflow or exhaust - I'd carefully check the hoses and rad first.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Well the left chassis rail behind the overflow bottle is wet and the trail on the road matched up with that.

I'm going in with an open mind, one of the first ports of call before I begin to tear the engine down is a pressure test of the coolant system, after which I'll examine the thermostat. First up will be a compression test (once I find the spark plug adapter for my tester...)

I'm also looking in to getting the head and block tested for cracks, but that's a little bit into the future. Start with the simple stuff first

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:29 pm

Git.

Still looking for my adapter for the compression tester, but in the meantime I drained the coolant - or at least what was left of it - and did a pressure test of the cooling system.  Aaaand...

The hose clip on the thermostat housing that had partially failed.  When tight it mostly sealed, sometimes it didn't. Pushing the hose around I could make it leak or stop it from leaking.  As far as I could see there is no damage to the housing and the hose end shows no signs of failure.  There is a slight kink in the strap of the clip so I presume although the clip was tight on the hose, it was enough for it to leak at certain times in use (probably when I was ragging it over the A31 at the New Forest...)

I'm still concerned that there may be other damage so will keep digging.

Last edited by Eightpot on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remove vin number from piccy)

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:54 am

Tested thermostat. Works. Refitted.

Pressure tested the system. Small leak under the thermostat housing which I suspect is me not tightening it down fully. But larger air loss elsewhere...

Dug out my cheapo usb borescope and poked it down each sparkplug hole in turn. No.4 looks rather fuzzy. Oh, that's why, the camera head came back out dripping wet.

Deeply unhappy.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top