Any DAB hands about?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any DAB hands about?

Post by PFM on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:39 pm

As it will soon be the time of year for people to waste monay buying crappy things I don't want (no, not crimbo, it's nearrly my birthday) I'm asking for contributions to a DAB CD receiver, ideally with bluetooth. Any recommendations? Also, as most have 4 speaker outputs, where is best place to put rear speakers in a van speakers in the rear of a van? Am thinking of usual place in front doors, and maybe (inside!) top of tailgate or above sliding doors?

Last edited by PFM on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found someone even more pedantic than I!)

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Re: Any DAB hands about?

Post by waz on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:03 pm

[quote="PFM") where is best place to put rear speakers in a van?

In the rear Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry PFM, could not resist it.
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:40 pm

No problemo, Wazzo - me own fault for leaving the barn door wide open!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:04 pm

I'm not so sure DAB radios have been all that successful in cars.

They tend to break up between towns. I tried one for a bit and it was useless.

If you live near a big city or something it might be better, but here in cheshire its pretty sketchy in lots of areas.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:04 am

Agreed.  The technology being the UK implementation of DAB is a bit of a dead end: MP2 format at a variable, usually low, bitrate.  A lot of the dab stations aren't even broadcasting in stereo and some of the music stations are using a bitrate that offers a sound quality below FM standards.  Tellingly, the UK analogue switch off which was pencilled in for when digital useage hit 50% won't happen anytime soon.  DAB isn't about hi-fidelity, the vast majority of DAB receivers available are small lo-fi "kitchen" radios. My partner has my old hi fi separates system which I did include a DAB receiver - it is the weakest link in the system, audio-wise.

If you are going to go for a DAB receiver, try and get one with DAB+ compatibility. That is the most likely way any UK upgrade (if at all) is going to go.  You could also look into the option of getting a DAB unit that either connects to you aux socket on your existing stereo or get one which plays through your system via the FM tuner. The advantage is you can move them between vehicles quite easily.  I use one of these: Discontinued Clarity DAB FM adapter on my boat.  It works as well as can be expected, really. Sort of. ish.

Oh, and get used to the glorious sound of bubbling mud.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:40 pm

DAB is BAD Very Happy .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristoljet on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:59 pm

As others have said, the success of DAB depends on where you live. In Bristol coverage is excellent. I've had a DAB in the Hijet for a couple of years now and the reception in town has always been faultless. Travelling outside of the city is another story though. The stereo I've got can also be used as a standard analogue receiver so you might want to consider that (it also has CD, mp3 etc etc). I never got round to putting speakers in the back.

Bristoljet
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:05 pm

6 1/2" 'Punch' Rockford Fosgates in the front and a 12"Rockford Fosgate 'Punch' Sub in the back Twisted Evil .

1 Pheonix Gold amp powering front speakers and 1 JBL amp powering the sub Twisted Evil Very Happy .

Your sound quality will come from the front sound stage and this is where your money should go....Rear speakers are just infill sound.

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:07 pm

I have a Sony DAB in the Merc, never connected the aerial tho, I only got it cos it had Bluetooth connectivity for the phone.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:30 pm

I've had a DAB in out hijet for 5 years really good around London and the south but struggles a bit up north and completely useless up in the highland and islands of Scotland, but that's mainly to do with DAB coverage a couple of years ago. Don't scrimp on the Aeriel i paid nealy £100 for mine and it's powered/ amplified to boost the signal.I just installed it behind the front grill out of site as i didn't want in on show.

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks, thats interesting. I'm a bit concerned about having the aeriel on the screen 'advertising' the fact I have a DAB radio. was yours a screen mount or a different type?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top