New driver.. First van!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New driver.. First van!

Post by Froobie on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi there!

So im 22 years old and a HUGE noob when it comes to vehicles of any type! Have been learning to drive and have my test coming up next month Very Happy
I am a self employed Children's Entertainer (circus workshops!), and so this sort of van would match my personality and job amazingly! Like a mini clown car!   clown  Very Happy

Iv found a gorgeous orange and white daihatsu hijet camper 1.3, registered 2001, £2000 58,000 miles, new cambelt fitted and doesn't seem to have any bad points in description. Went to have a quick look tonight but was quite dark and houses in woods with bumpy roads so not test driven yet.. waiting till tomorrow for my friend to come check it out again with me as hes a van man Smile though have had a quick skim of the guide to buying a gooden and so I think shall make a list of points to check out next viewing... (thanks for that! Smile )
I have looked into insurance and should be fine for me as long as iv entered details correctly! (noticed a lot of you say £1k+? though looking at van insurance for various types of vans on AVIVA, you get 20% online discount! and even tho im under 25 Iv been quoted just £400-600ish on all the vans I enquired about! this van was just £327! Just hope that's not too good to be true!)

The more I looked at this ad the more I fell in love with it! and going to view it, though was very dark Neutral , I still really like the appearance of it etc.. VERY good condition, clean, no dints that I could spot! very very nice.. makes me feel crazy impatient again now!!  bounce

The points I am wondering about though are its reliability and safety etc...
I do also have quite a bit of equipment which I need to take to jobs.. I travel a lot to many events around the country from small fun days to bigger festivals. After viewing I think it should all fit in the back, but wondering how this would effect handling in this diddy van? shouldn't be tooo heavy I don't think.. Would this kind of van be reliable enough to take me 2+h away with the back full of equipment? (though we do stride on our compactness and lightness of equipment and can fit most of it into a Vauxhall corsa carrying 3 people..)

The points about safety... Im no way a racey driver when I drive about with my dad, and wouldn't want to wiz about all over the place like a loony, like to take my time which this van seems to suit well I hear? lol..  though I read that they don't have much safety such as air bags, and ofc a head on would really be horrid.. is there any way to improve this? (like I said a complete car noob so no idea whats possible! lol) just thinking more about air bags as this safety issue does make me a lil nervous (and the parents would probably definitely not be in favour!) silent

Hmmmmm..harrrrr! I know most if not all you guys would say 'Go for it!' and I would like to, just think I need a bit more of an idea how reliable itll be to get me to jobs etc.. and more of a review/opinion from many other experienced hi-jet drivers! Smile

Sorry for the essay! double wammy intro & questions! Lol

Froobie

Back to top Go down

Re: New driver.. First van!

Post by Froobie on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Oh! and also what about parts etc!

Expensive/hard to get hold of etc... :/

Froobie

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Bear in mind, they never came in orange and white.

People tend to do paint jobs on them because they have to! E.g. it was rotten and needed the arches welding up.

Get the MOT history to check the milage. https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

Really really really test the coolant system!! 9 out of 10 hijets overheat. With the road trips you are planning, you need a good one.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Welcome along, if it's a good one it'll take you anywhere, you can fit more stuff in than you'll believe possible. You crash, you most likely die, it teaches you about safe gaps and stopping distances.... Wink

If it's the one i saw on Ebay i'd be checking what it's registered as, looks a home conversion?

Froobie wrote:Oh! and also what about parts etc!

Expensive/hard to get hold of etc... :/

Yes/yes.... Wink
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Froobie on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Hm that is a point, iv read about paint/rust with these vans? :s
Iv not got details to check that, the number plate in photos blanked out and I stupidly forgot to take note when I viewed -.-'

it was on ebay yes.. planning to go back tomorrow for final look..
white on the top and orange around the bottom half.. blue curtains and blue lil table inside..

Froobie

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:50 pm

It is this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/daihatsu-hijet-camper-van-/141499418732?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

It was a white van, which has had the lower half painted.

He sold it previously in September here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/daihatsu-hijet-camper-van-/141394318188?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item20ebc2136c

Which obviously fell through or the buyer brought it back.

He also sold another one if you look though his feedback

ebay feedback wrote:A straightforward transaction. y***y ( 46) More than a year ago
daihatsu hijet camper van 12 months m.o.t 6 months tax 49,000 (#140842351372) £2,100.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/daihatsu-hijet-camper-van-12-months-m-o-t-6-months-tax-49-000-/140842351372?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D140842351372%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=9VGsfi4e0XGoSw3jIFbqZF6fAiE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:46 am

HighlyJetted wrote:It is this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/daihatsu-hijet-camper-van-/141499418732?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

He sold it previously in September here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/daihatsu-hijet-camper-van-/141394318188?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item20ebc2136c

Something iffy comparing those 2 adds.......

Current add for van has lost 15,000 miles and the MOT gained 3 months.

Van for sale now with.......... 58,000 miles...MOT till Nov 2015

Van previously for sale with..73,000 miles...MOT till Aug 2015.

Last edited by oldie on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:48 am

and looking at the milage he drove it backwards a lot since september Wink Smile

good info once again HJ
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:53 am

goodmorning oldie
we had the same post at about the same time Embarassed Laughing
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:55 am

Good morning mate....are 'WE' good or what Very Happy .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 am

Well done, Holmes, Watson and Morse. Excellent bit of Detective work Matt.

It seems to me Nooby Frooby that towards the end of your " very enthusing essay"  that you were running out of Steam and letting your head rule your heart rather than  at the beginning your heart rule your head.

Listen to your head in view of the info from
"The Three Wise Men " and you will keep your Gold and not buy an " Old Camel".

Slow your yearnings down and search for a
"Goodun" as you so eloquently put it.  You haven't passed your test yet so there is no REAL URGENCY.
Your fears of over- loading a Hi Jet are in your case are unfounded with what you are going to be put in it. Unless you are the Circus Strongman and are going to be taking all the Gymnasium weight training gear with you. Anyway I am the Strongman and Clown on this Forum  so don't try usurping my Crown Laughing

I have had 3/4 ton of rubble on my Pickup and my van is always very heavily loaded with tools and quite a bit of it power tools jammed into the Upper Cargo Rack which doesn't do much for the Centre of Gravity.

Despite all that and being an " Old Fart"  there are very few vehicles get past me on these wonderfully winding Isle of Wight roads.
Stay with your heart as far as getting a Hi-Jet is concerned but bide your time and buy a good one.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:32 am

Well, that is because they are not the same van!!

One is a V plate year 2000, the other is a 51 plate 2001.

He has just painted them in the same colour.

Look at the extra windows.

I would be veryyyyy careful though buying off someone like that, as they are in it to make money.

And I couldn't make any money selling a camper if:-

I bought a half decent van for £1000.
Did a decent job of respraying the lower half for whatever reason £400 minimum.
Then road tested it and swapped all the regular suspects/servicing £150 to 250
Then I fitted a camper interior of some sorts £400
Then I MOT'd it properly and had to do the rear brake lines as always £100
Then I road test it for 500 miles, and find out it overheats like pretty much every van I've bought..... Which then costs me 2 days labour and another £250 in parts.

Yet if I bought a rot box for £250, filled it with bog and sprayed over it badly £250. Got my mate "Stevie Wonder" to MOT it and surprise surprise it passes every time £30. I don't road test it for 500 miles so I never find out that it over heats.  Then I badly codge in some old bits of caravan and call it a camper interior for £200. Now I'm making way over a grand for a few days work.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 am

the van on ebay is the same design conversion as the last one was he sold same paint, one burner and a dog bowl sink, not alot and cheap, but i would want to thrash it a bit then let it idle in traffic for a while first,
my mpv was cheap i made a cheap conversion and the only proplems ive had have been easy fix with woodys help, petrol tank,light switch a few bits and bobs but when i boight it it had a lot of paper work to show what had been done head skimed pressure tested new cat were main bits done about 8000miles befor i got it, ive used it daily for 18months and its been great but search out a good one

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Froobie on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Wow thanks for all the detective work guys! lol

in the end I didn't go back for another look. Like with what youv found out.. my dad pointed out after that this guy had quite a few vans dotted about and in his garage, obviously doing them up etc.

currently looking at common vans like Citroen Berlingo and others just for work, then once saved up enough I shall invest in a beauty of a camper Smile I do attend a lot of vw festivals and have spotted some really dinky campers like the hijet.. lots of time to find something decent.

many thanks all shall keep my eyes peeled Smile

Froobie

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:20 am

i would buy a vw caddy if i was you.
reliable car, loads of cheap parts and easy to come by.
i used to have a caddy sdi it was realy slow but never let me down.
runs realy cheap to, i could drive it if i remember correctly 1200km on 1 tank of diesel.
and if you want to modify it theres loooads of verry cheap parts (wheels 4x100 etc)

scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:08 am

HighlyJetted wrote:Well, that is because they are not the same van!!

One is a V plate year 2000, the other is a 51 plate 2001.

....and this is why I never became a Detective Embarassed .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:42 am

ssssst oldie
just act like nothing happened Embarassed Laughing
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:27 am

HighlyJetted wrote:It is this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/daihatsu-hijet-camper-van-/141499418732?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

But in my defence, I was only following a lead.......turns-out my informant led me astray lol!

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:31 am

What was it you were following. A dog lead?? Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:27 am

It's impossible to get it right every time Embarassed
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose