Sometimes want is more than need?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sometimes want is more than need?

Post by Swarfing on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:46 am

Hi All

Been looking for a pickup project to pimp and slam for a couple of months now. Resisted signing up 'til now but succumed in the end. I feel like I have a ton of questions busting to come out, so here I am.
I have looked at quite a few vans and a couple of pickups. They looked ok in the picture but lots of bodywork issues underneath. i don't mind a project but need to balance it with the time it takes to get things done when you have a family.
Today looked at a pickup not too far from me (typical when others have been miles away), it is a bit rough around the edges but the same all over which to me makes it an honest skate. The dealer want around the 1k mark for it so walked away to see if he sees a bit more sense in a few days. For that he has offered a fresh MOT, don't see that failing as they will do it themselves. I would prefer to take it as it is as will want to strip it anyway and any welding done on my terms. Mechanically it is all there apart from the silencer completly blown, brakes shot, back bump stops shot, holes around the drivers screen pillar and scruffy inside. The rad cap is shot but no signs of crusting in the neck and it runs sweet. The previous owner was 85 and owned it for 12yrs.
Hopefully it will be goer project and if you allow me will drag you along for the ride. Oh yes custom parts built from scratch also included in the tour.
Thanks
Paul from north Wilts

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: Sometimes want is more than need?

Post by d1noh on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:23 pm

@ 1k and from what you say I would walk away too, you failed to say what year and fuel it was
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi
It's a 2001 1.3 petrol, I would put a price of 600-700 max. Whilst i wa there he tried to pull some up on ebay to justify his price. Shame he could only find Extols and a much newer one that was mint? I may just wait my time out.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:58 pm

you mentioned holes in the drivers door pillar, a 2001 should have holes in the pillar due to a radio aerial should be or could be fitted, did you tripple check the fuel tank for rust? At least being a dealer he has to give you 90 days warrenty under the supply of goods act
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Yes the holes are from where the antennae used to be, it's caused quite a bit of rusting and would need cutting out. The tank looks ok as does the engine and mechanicals in general. The brakes are only shot from it being sat around for a while. Exhaust is just age related. I will try him again in a few days, won't worry about it going in a hurry. If it does then it was not meant to be.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:10 am

Exhaust price will have you crying, does it / has ir had an overheating issue, piccies would help, but for £1500 there is a fair bit of choice, it's about what I would ask for my 25k genuine miles van, buy wisely and you will love Hijets, buy poorly and the nightmare will begin...
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarface GTti on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:18 pm

Pickup exhaust is hard to find but there is a seller on Ebay that has them at £100 but when I asked him he seemed unsure of how good a fit it was which didn't sound promising. As a guide I recently bought my pickup for £750 and it is pretty tidy, I have had to do a few jobs to get it right but 1k for the one you describe seems quite expensive.

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi guys doing work to any skate i get won't bother me too much as usually put myself in for the long haul when it comes to jobs doing. I am quite fussy so does not matter if i bought one a lot better, I would stil rip it apart to make it right. there is nothging to the exhaust so cant see how they can justify prices like that??? Will just have to make my own Smile
I will pop back ther towards the end of next week, plenty of stew time for him to realise his price is too rich. Will have to do some drive bys to make sure he does not drop it behind my back mind you.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:08 am

You can't make a rotten body shell into a peach.

Make sure you do the over heating tests....

http://hijet.findtalk.biz/t1367-daihatsu-hijet-buyers-guide-a-little-information-for-getting-a-good-one

some prick wrote:[*]Now the super important bit...... On the test drive batter it, I mean rag the pants off it, up hill if possible - scare the pants out of the seller - then park it up and keep it running. Watch it boil up and spew its coolant into the overflow tank - then walk away with your cash still in your pocket.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:14 pm

HJ I'm not sure you understand my intensions. There is no way I will be keeping this skate stock, as long as the engine is sound a new head gasket is not a problem. Welding no problem either as long as it is worth saving. This particular one is worth saving for the right price, I am not naieve to just except that though and would buy a different one today if better. My life with motors started in the 70's handing spanners to dad every sunday Very Happy

I do take your points onboard though as trust me I am no Know it all. I set out to find a project and not just a get in and drive, that would be boring to me. Already looking at a possible Toyota Yaris hub swap front and back as it looks feasible and work give a standard PCD and discs on the back. As for the engine maybe a turbo added, polish port, new tunable ECU etc. Should be a lot more civalised that a MB engine swap (although a cool way to go). I am lucky in that I have the facilities to do things like a head skim if needed. So not really worried about too much as long as I can balance work needed with family life. With no garage time costs to pay for I should end up with a peach and what will work for me.

Please keep any advice coming though as knowledge is everything. I certainly want to share anything I find out along this journey,

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:15 pm

Looking forward to this Smile
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:02 am

By the time you factor in welding supplies, hours and hours of your life cutting and grinding, re-painting, then doing an engine job needing gaskets and parts, skimming, new coolant pipes because they are rotten etc etc.

It is very very very easy to spend way more time and money then it would cost to just buy a half decent pickup, to only be stuck with something at the other end which is a patched up old dog.

Its everything from the drivers door hinges to the grill clips to the drivers seat, brake master cylinder, lspv, etc etc etc.

I'm not saying its crap, just pick wisely - look closely. All you can see is symptoms of condition when buying a vehicle as you can't exactly take it too bits on the forecourt.

Its nicer to spend the time making things really nice, instead of dragging something back out of the scrap heap.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Question then? Do you know where one is for around the £6-700 mark with or without MOT?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:43 pm

http://www.gumtree.com/p/trucks/daihatsu-hijet-2004/1104931245
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-PIAGGIO-PORTER-Top-Deck-Pick-Up-ONLY-34k-/191533208440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9844d378
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Yep cheers Logi seen both of these, 1st one is too far up north along with the second one (red) he has. 2nd one has been in an accident and would require pulling back out. There is another on at just over 500 at the mo which would be worth a punt as looks much better than the one i have on the raydar.

Had a phonecall tonight from a friend who has organised a viewing of one during the week that sounds promising? He only wants £500 with MOT So now have a couple of choices.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:39 am

You don't get much in life for £500.

Maybe something good thats got not MOT.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 am

Don't forget it's a project i'm after so not expecting a silk purse. Will give myself to the middle of next month to decide anyway, if I need to pay more for the right one then I will. I won't rush it as that would be fool hardy especially with all the readings i've had on this forum.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum