Rusty MPV

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rusty MPV

Post by KeithG on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi,

I've just gone and bought a '98 1.3 MPV in silver and rust as company for my venerable Toyota Townace. I'm learning quickly as already the alternator has failed (an hour at the scrappies and £25 sorted that) and the cooling system needs the obligatory tlc (new thermostat and rad caps on order, and rad flush ready to go).
Already I love this little bus despite all the paint having disappeared from above the gutter line (wonderful Italian build quality?) and having to drive with the heater on full for now to keep it from boiling. I get lots of disapproving looks as the rusty roof does look disreputable - but I quite like that! It has a great engine and genuine low mileage so looking forward to getting it straight. Very Happy

KeithG

Back to top Go down

Re: Rusty MPV

Post by PFM on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Welcome - sounds like you'll be at home here. Most silver ones suffer like that.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by KeithG on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Thank you. The van had been left in a farmyard for a couple of years where my mechanic friend runs a garage from. He however had kept it all up together before the lay-up and all was good mechanically before, so fingers crossed once the cooling's sorted. The roof was the reason the previous owner gave up on it, but I have some rust gel and a high build anti-rust primer waiting for a decent break in the weather (no garage unfortunately). I've given my wife free reign on what goes on it next as she's always wanted to decorate a car! I hope I've done the right thing! Otherwise needs new door cards (I'll cut from hardboard and my wife will re-cover -this could be one very flowery van). Apart from that, the rest is very clean inside and out. Its perfect transport for living on an island with no fast roads and dead practical, so looking forward to quirky Hijet/Porter ownership.

KeithG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:08 pm

How come I missed that one then?? I thought that I had cleared the Island of all the remaining Hi-Jet's.

Guess you must have paid more than a Fiver for it then. I'm too tight to pay any more than that these days.
Welcome to the Forum. That makes us The Three Hi-Jeteer's with another member in Ryde. All we need is another in Cowes and we'll have a member in all four corners of the Island.

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Either you're losing your touch or there's a conspiracy to hide them from you!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:14 pm

It must be senility PFM. If I could only just remember what Senility means though. I have forgotten. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by KeithG on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Yes did pay more than a fiver, but came with a new clutch, four new tyres, a brand new headlight and a years MOT so more than happy. I'm going to be working in Niton from September so if the van disappears or bits go missing , I'll know where to look Wink Woody, two Hijets at Cliftongrade, Stag Lane at the moment if that's of any interest. Both vans.

KeithG

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:54 pm

KeithG wrote:new clutch, four new tyres, a brand new headlight and a years MOT
I think a new box of tissues would be of more interest - Woody'll be crying his eyes out over that! Very Happy

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:41 pm

Not really Peter. I packed up my Wightbay Hi-Jet's Wanted advert about 6 weeks ago and not buying any more now. I have got 7 Grand Moves and 14 Hi-Jets so time to get rid of a few and get on with the 1600 engined Hi-Jets I want to have fun with.

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:57 pm

hows thst move going you picked up in hove ?,,sold my hijet the guy said it started a misfire next day he said he thought it waslow compresion on no.2 but id been driveing it for almost 3yrs and it pulled well bet its a coil pack but hey ho he sold it on

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:29 pm

I haven't done anything with it yet Ron. It's still sat where I parked it up on my return from Hove.  
I have just half an hour ago  taxed the  T reg one I bought from Plymouth which was immaculate and owned by two family members from new. The family member  I bought it from has had it for the last 12 years and is really nice to drive and engine is really sweet (72,000 miles)  so will run it as a spare vehicle for a while.

The one from Hove is coming to bits shortly and the engine going up to an Engine builder in Essex and being lightened and balanced with a  cam from Piper and flowed head with inlet and exhaust manifolds matched to the head.
The Enineers reckon that it should give 125 to 130bhp.
Sadly Matt tells me that the Hi-Jet ECU can't be re-mapped but I think that 125- 130BHP should be fun enough in a Pickup.
Just not looking forward to putting all the pipes and ancillaries back on the engine along with the LPG stuff as well. But got to be done I suppose for the fun of having a rapid Hi-Jet.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:35 pm

Yep all silver ones lose their paint.

The last one I did for a customer, I sander the whole roof back to bare metal with 80 grit pads on a DA sander.

Then I spray painted it with hammerite smooth - whiich is a bitch to work with - lay it on thinner that you can imagine - build it up in like 15 coats slowly - in a warm enviroment, with heaters inside the van too to make the roof skin proper warm.

Hardest thing with doing silver ones, is when you put masking tape on them, when you peel it off it will take more paint with it.

If you do not remove all the paint first, it will flake off again ruining your new paint job.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top