New Skate and tribulations

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Skate and tribulations

Post by Swarfing on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:54 am

Thought I would keep a thread of all the repairs I do as I go along to keep it all in one place. Will put some pics up as well as I get a chance.

So what did i get? An 98 (S) 1.3 pickup tipper
Condition? Poorly
Why? Cos i wanted a bit of a project

Whats wrong with it?

1. Over heats
2. Exhaust
3. 2 x Tyres
4. No thermostat
5. Bodged rad switch bypass
6. Tiny bits of rust
7. Bed is a mess
8. Wing mirrors
9. lots of knackered trim
10. Crappiest paint job ever
11. No horn
12. Battery fooooooked

Plans?
Fix the problems and get the thing running properly so I have a daily ride then sort out the pretty stuff

I picked this up for cheap, I mean low hundreds so it was never going to perfect. The chap who sold it to me thought he see me coming, he may be right but I was happy with the purchase knowing what I was getting into. Had to stop three times on the journey home, each time had to jump start it to get it going.

Fixed in the last couple of days?

Took out all the bodged wiring and replaced the rad relay with an off the shelf, need to put a higher rated one in later as only 30 Amps. I put a thermostat in as there was none in the first place. Fixed the connections for the horn and replaced the battery.
The fan switch looked like it was not working but I know its fine as the water is not getting up to temp on that side of the circuit. The main issue that i can see is the water does not seem to be pumping round. Once the thermostat gets up to temp the water does not just flow round back side of circuit? Must be the pump so placed an order for one of those.
The system tops out and dumps the water out into the expansion tank. Put a bypass switch in for now i hear you cry? no point as the water is not pumping round to make any difference. This is a common problem on Nissan Largo's which i used to own. The problem is because the system does not bleed well people keep topping up with plain water, this in turn rusts the pump rotor blades so no flow of water.

Will add some pics later and I hope this helps others suffering from an alternative perspective.

PS

The engine is sweet as and I can't believe how quick its. My next thought is whether to keep the tipper unit and convert back to a plain pickup or not? let me know what you would do? to keep or not?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: New Skate and tribulations

Post by Swarfing on Fri May 01, 2015 8:55 pm

Did not quite get what I wanted to do today as got interrupted with a wee purchase of some replacement wings and doors, another dash and a silencer. A nice surprise though was me water pump turned up today also. Pics will come tomorrow promise.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat May 02, 2015 10:44 am

I bet your water pump is fine.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sat May 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi HJ, all swapped over today and sorry was knackered as suspected. The blades were fine but just spinning on the spindle which is the first one I’ve seen like that. Gave it a good flush through again and topped it up. Temp still went high and no fan cutting in? took me a good hour before I spotted that the female pins on the plug to the fan switch were not connecting. I pushed the cable in the back of the plug and voila fan working from the switch at last. I suspect that was the original problem and had been like it for a long time to cause the damage to the water pump.

Whilst underneath I noticed a bulge on the inside of one of the tyres so that will need to be replaced. I also noticed a purple/red plug with nothing connected? anybody know what should be connected to that? it comes out of the main loom under the peddles.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun May 03, 2015 9:27 am

Never seen a Hijet water pump do that yet.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 11:43 am

Well all hard work to avail, the water is still pushing out into the tank and the temp sits high. The plug for the rad temp switch intermittently works? will need another plug for that. Will pull the rad and give it a descale with trusty old viacal and a flush. Even though head pressure looks ok I will not rule out head gasket until I've had a go with the rad. Even if it is at least I will know that every part of the system has had a thorough going through so not wasted time really.
I cleaned all the replacement interior parts yesterday and they come up great, will grab some paint at some point and get the doors and and things done before going on. Also I have been looking at material to recover the interior, so many choices.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 11:50 am

Pics have not uploaded? is there a size limit etc?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 12:18 pm

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 12:21 pm

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Sun May 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Temp guage gets slightly higher on my '02 1.3 but doesn't over-heat. Guess it has the wrong thermostat in it but not checked yet.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 12:53 pm

I put a new one in as it did not have one in the first place. I also tested it before putting in so no surprises later.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sun May 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Temp in mines reaches around there before the fan kicks in, still worth checking the bottom hose is hot and hard  affraid 
Worst design feature on the Hijet is the fan switch being where it is
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 03, 2015 3:44 pm

The early 1300's had the Sensor in the bottom of the Radiator between the two hoses. They can still be fitted there by removing the Brass or metal plug and fitting the the Sensor there and extending the wiring.
Why they they did that or changed the position or if it makes a difference, I know not.
A faulty new thermostat could still cause it. Checking it in a pan of boiling water doesn't necessarily mean that it's OK.
I have had faulty new ones that worked fine for two days and others for a bit longer before giving trouble.
If you leave the Thermostat out and have a radfan switch and use the heater too when the temperature starts to climb and temperature drops back down again and do that for 30 to 60 minutes then I reckon that the Head Gasket is ok.

If the temperature carries on climbing despite both fans being on then I would imagine that it is safe to say that you have Head Gasket problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 4:23 pm

Woody don't forget the issue is the same as before I put the new stat in.............No worries now anyway as I knew if i played with it long enough something would raise it's ugly head??? Just ran it up from cold again with the middle cap off and now after a 30 secs from cold i get a nice pure white foam appear? the water is no draining away but there is now dreaded mist coming from the exhaust :-(

Defo a gasket problem now for sure............

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 03, 2015 4:28 pm

Oh dear that is a pain. OK, you knew before you bought it that there was a problem, but it is still an "orrible" job to have to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Mind you a bit easier on a tipper Very Happy

Just need to get a gasket kit now.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 03, 2015 4:35 pm

And the head skimming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 4:36 pm

5 mins in my workshop and that bit sorted

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 4:52 pm

That's it no messing around now. Head gasket set all ordered so a job for next week. I think I found out out wat that purple/ red connector is for? This must be the main fuse and some clever clogs has used the gubbins for the fuse to bridge it with a piece of wire. Does anybody know where to get the proper thing?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 03, 2015 5:09 pm

The main fuse is a yellow 60amp PAL one with a clear plastic top. I keep new ones in Stock, also 80amp and 100amp too.

It is located under the driver's seat close to the seatbase bulkhead and is a right pain to get at from above or below if you have hands the size of mine anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Cool cheers woody, is it a male or female? I may have one already if I can find it

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 03, 2015 5:50 pm

They are not a normal blade type fuse. U shape male ends with female spades inside pushed into a yellow holder with male spades inside.
I might have a photo of one on my phone. I will have a look and email a picture to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Pictures sent to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Pictures sent to you. Yes that is the one. But
have a go at replacing it. Flipping ludicrous place to put it.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun May 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Swarfing wrote:Woody don't forget the issue is the same as before I put the new stat in.............No worries now anyway as I knew if i played with it long enough something would raise it's ugly head??? Just ran it up from cold again with the middle cap off and now after a 30 secs from cold i get a nice pure white foam appear? the water is no draining away but there is now dreaded mist coming from the exhaust :-(

Defo a gasket problem now for sure............

Foam in the coolant is normally caused by improper bleeding.

The amount a head gasket leaks will not cause water to drip from the exhaust, normally its because either its not been run hard for ages and the silencers are full or condensation/water, or its running very rich making excessive water on combustion emissions.

And if you want decent thermostats and rad caps I stock really nice quality nipparts thermostats, those circoli ones everywhere stocks are totally wank and have caused me more trouble than they are worth, I kept having them stick closed, and not hold stable temperatures. It is why I have a stock of Nipparts ones, because I had to buy a minimum of 20 when I imported them from Holland. They cost me twice what I can get a Circoli stat for, but worth every penny.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171772331183?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Quit wasting your time messing with old buggered radiators, they often seep on the end caps and the mount where the cap sits is always buggered from people taking it on and off a million times. I stock new nice genine Denso sexy ones here:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171772331180?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Make sure your seat where the rad cap under the passenger seat sits is real nice, grind it out with a wire brush wheel. Make sure the over flow tank hose isn't blocked.

Bleed the system properly.... properly.... properly!!

Use decent new radiator caps.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171746507623?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

And put them on with some Vaseline on the rubber seals.

Pressure test the system, read this http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/hijet-overheating-problems-head-gasket-or-not/

HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Fri May 08, 2015 2:16 pm

Woody i missed your last post for some reason? I really did do a thorough test of the system and fill to the brim, but I WILL bow to your expertise and give it another go with the the watering can before I take the head off. The gasket set arrived today and it is marked up jhs.883? is that corrct for a 1.3? I did order the correct one.
Will report back how the refill goes :-) can always sell the set if all ok.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Fri May 08, 2015 6:40 pm

ok so far, I burped her again doing a complete fill via the watering can method, ensure every last drop of air out of the system and let it sit with the engine running. It sat at half way for ages and ages before the temp started to rise and no fan cut in (fan works by bridging the switch plug).........Bottom pipe cold, a bit more temp and (10% left before HHHHHH). So i switched off to cool down. Whilst all the bits were warm I did the pressure test using my compressor. It starts to empty out into the tank at just over the .9 bar and caps are rated at .9.

Thoughts please?
So now I'm wondering? remember it did this without a thermostat so suspected the rad. I have just pulled that off and flushed it through. Nothing apart from water but will go get some cleaner to fizz out the crap if anthing is there.

Question?

My temp switch sits in the pipe under the expansion tank. Others have it fitted in the rad, which is the better place for it? I have a plug on the rad so can put it there if better? Oh I have some bolts to drill out now as well :-(

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top