New Skate and tribulations

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Skate and tribulations

Post by Swarfing on Fri May 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Forgot to say, did go for a drive to help temp up.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Fri May 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Drain unblocker running through the rad as we speak and we will see what that hold. Will run some descaler afterwards as a good measure

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Not on the Thermostat Housing I truly hope.

There must be a valid reason why Daihatsu moved it from the bottom of the radiator to the outlet pipe. I know not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Fri May 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Well I can now say 100% the system is clean and clear. The rad was in great shape and no lumps of anything came out. Did not notice any discernible scale come out either. Probably Sunday now will be the next opportunity to work on it now. I will put it back together then and do a retest.

Don't worry Woody I only descaled the rad not the rest of the system.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri May 08, 2015 11:50 pm

It makes no difference where the fan switch is.

Bottom line is, if the bottom return pipe is cold then it will never run the fan.

Make sure you run it with the heaters on hot, and if its lpg then clamp off the condenser water feed. Lpg hijets can be a bitch.

If water does not move round the thermostat it will never open, to make this flow happen the heaters need to be on hot. Its a design oversite.

Hijet heater selector should never be moved off hot, never ever ever!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sat May 09, 2015 1:00 am

Lucky for me HJ no LPG to worry about. Just done a BN on one of your TT to be on the safe side, With that pipe being cold today I am not going to risk it and yes heater perm open. The new caps that I bought are FRC74 which just so happens to be the ones my motor factor supplies, For an 'S' reg that looks like sh*t on the outside the mechanicals are pretty dam good. The cap seats are spot on, no pits, chips or rust so I can't make them any better.
A new friend of mine dropped of another fan switch and plug for me today. I can play with those once I know water is flowing correctly if I actually need them. I just want to get on with the pretty stuff now.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sat May 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Going to ask a really stupid question now. How many have plain caps on there rads and who uses a sprung cap? Mine has a sprung cap but it dawned on me today the return for heater enters the neck? How the heck does the water pass round? Because there was a sprung cap on there before I never questioned it and replaced with like. Can somebody point me to the correct plain cap on the bay please. My factors only have sprung caps specified for hijets full stop and that can't be right surely?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat May 09, 2015 10:16 pm

It is not the return, it is just a bleed line from the top of the heater matrix.

Either design cap is fine.

I wrote all about the various different caps and their part numbers on the site I gave you a link earlier in the post.

All 1.3 have sprung front caps, some 993cc's have non pressure sprung caps.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Sat May 09, 2015 11:51 pm

993's had a plain cap on rad and sprung cap on tube. No point fitting sprung cap on rad as if pressure exceeds 0.9 some coolant will be lost

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 10, 2015 9:53 am

That is a very valid point PFM. With plain cap any coolant loss goes into the expansion bottle.
Then hopefully siphoned back in when engine cools. Provided it isn't a major cook up. Yes that was COOK UP Logi, just for the record. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sun May 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Well all back together today, changed the fan switch plug, filled the sytem and bleed like crazy. I let the fan cut in 3 times before letting cool. Level remained the same in the expansion tank...Yipee!

Took it for a good thrashing and great for about 10 miles and then temp crept up. I sumise that air is collecting in the top stopping true temperature getting to the TT, this allows boil over into the expansion tank yadi yadi yada etc. Will wait for new TT and also swap the fan switch out before trying again. If after that then will go ahead with the head gasket Mad

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Mon May 11, 2015 11:34 pm

This afternoon I thought I would give it one more go. So topped up and bleed it again, only water loss was the dumping out into the expansion bottle. This as of yesterdays try gets sucked back in on cool down which it did not do before the rad clear out etc. What I did notice though and took more attention of was copper glitter? I did notice this before and thought that somebody had used some on the cap to help seal it. This I now know is not true but the remnants of 'K' seal. I personally have never used such products so was oblivious to recognising it.

Quite clearly 'k' seal is not acceptable and I would rather fix the real issue. This may still end up being the gasket? So this evening I have been reading again and again all HJ's hard efforts in his investigations looking for clues. With all the things I have had to reinstate somebody went to a lot of trouble to try and fix this motor completely missing what i believe was the real problem in the first place (the dodgy pins in the fan switch plug).

Tomorrow I will remove the TT and chuck in dishwasher tablet, If there is anything blocking the system it WILL be shifted along with any oily deposits and 'K' seal. I should at least find out for sure IF a there is a leak in the system. Word of warning if you try this yourself (at your own risk), do not leave it in the system too long think how long dishes take in the dishwasher, do not let the engine get too hot either. I will flush it out via the hoses at the bottom of the rad in case of any large pieces. Then I will flush again with a hose in the cap under seat and allow water to come out of the little rubber bung under the drivers seat to make sure I get everything out. Then a refill and see what happens?

Some Qudos now......Thanks to HJ for your persistence and tenacity, you have saved me a ton of work.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue May 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Hijets are a good education to the full workings of a coolant system!!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Wed May 13, 2015 7:26 pm

Yesterday I filled and dropped in a dishwasher tab, let the fan turn on three times before flushing. Refilled the system and found the rad p**sing like a sieve. So now we know why the 'K' seal was added. New rad ordered and around again we go.

I did do a longer write up last night but it seems to have disappeared?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Wed May 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Maybe you have a leak? Laughing

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Wed May 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Just a little one, it was like looking at embers in a fire the way the leaks were steaming away.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Fri May 15, 2015 7:53 pm

New rad turned up today nice and early (Thanks HJ) so a good flush out again and on it went, burped and burped and burped. Temp got up nicely and still a loss of water but not out into the tank now as the flow is much better. So the end of the story is.......THE BLOODY HEAD GASKET!

There is some good to come of this exercise.
1. I know this motor inside and out
2. All the other important bits have been addressed
3. I know everything else is fine
4. My knuckles will toughen up after they are cut to shreds getting the head off

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat May 16, 2015 12:14 am

Make sure you skim the head.....

I have gasket kits at work too Wink
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing on Sat May 16, 2015 6:12 pm

I already bought one of them over a week ago and already put a new tip in my fly cutter Wink

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top