Original Paint Type Info required

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Original Paint Type Info required

Post by Cromwelluk on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi
What was the factory paint finish on  a  “White” 1999 Piaggio Porter  Hijet  
Does not seem to be lacquered and seems to be a plain paint finish  because if you T-cut it it takes of paint first , rather than clear and then paint .also there is no top coat peeling as you see on other cars

Body seems ok with no real issues but quite a lot of  stone chips  so looking to repaint and touch up panels as  required with a good key on the topcoat  rather than a full re-spray with all the hassle of isolation & sealer etc
Looking to re-spray myself as I have the equipment fro when I sprayed my motorcycle fairings so not looking at rattle can
Tested a small section by rubbing with a cloth with Standard Thinners and only if you rub hard does the paint start to come off  , does this indicate 1k or 2 k Urethane ?

Does any body know the paint type before I go to the local paint supplier / body shop and see if they can test it
Cromwelluk

Back to top Go down

Re: Original Paint Type Info required

Post by Eightpot on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:55 pm

If you draw a blank on the paint composition, you might want to consider using Rustoleum 7300 Combicolor paint. The paint supplier local to me will mix up custom colours of the paint, and with it being a primer & topcoat in one, easy to apply.

My van was metallic(ish) silver with peeling accents and I'm currently rollering on their stock Combicolor silver (RAL9006) which is *VERY* close to the original factory shade of silver. I'm following the instructions given here: $50 dollar paint job

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:27 pm

It is a solid colour, lacquer and base colour all mixed into one. Paint type I do not know, but I have 1 litre of genuine Daihatsu white for the vans, which I use to touch up with.

After I touch up a white van, once all the little rust poo marks are gone they look amazing.

I use a little rotary grinding tip just to take the rust out from the spot, then touch them in. Its along way from a perfect finish but has the desired visual effect.

The worst ones are silver Hijets, the paint peels off them so bad.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarface GTti on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:25 am

I think that applies to any Japanese car of the period that is silver, my 1991 MX5 is silver and it's so thin that it wears through in places and lifts in others.

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:29 pm

On the hijet the silver paint has not really bonded to the undercoat, you can literally wash it off with a steam cleaner!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Reminds me of Ford Silver Fox on Mk 2 Cortinas.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top