Bleeding brakes

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bleeding brakes

Post by CoolJet on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:30 pm

I have a vacuum pump. This thime i want to push it through with the compressor. Just put a valve in the cap and level compressor down to 1 bar. i will have to refill the retainer a couple of times. But its cheap and will work i hope.
Because when the sucker is at the nipple it always sucks a bit of air through the screw thread of the nipple. Normaly should be no problem as long as no air gets in. But i find it a bit better to push it through. and looking at the micro fish... I will try to bleed the load sensing proportioning valve and block each time one of the flexy lines coming from the retainer so i will force new liquid through both of the lines going back. What do you think? if you dont have a compressor you can also use a tire at 1 bar as not alot of air will be needed.

CoolJet
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Its fucking awesome!

But i think the valve is stuck. If i block the second flexy line from the retainer to the master cylinder I cant bleed at the lspv. That means the complete second cylinder of the mbc is useless at the moment i think. Because it goes direktly to the lspv and nowhere else.  See the picture above.

Through the first cylinder thats also for the front brakes (second flexy line to mbc blocked) i can bleed everywhere. But i am still experimenting. I may have to overhaul the lspv. I still have to try some other things.
CoolJet
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by 602 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:57 pm

<<< Strange thing i noticed is when i press it it seems the level in the retainer goes up a bit. when i lift the foot it goes down again. >>>

Hi,

I don't know anything about Hijet brakes. But if pressing the pedal raises the fluid level in the reservoir, it suggests that fluid is being pushed back into the reservoir, rather than down the pipes.

Assuming Hijets use a CV (Centre valve) master cylinder, pushing the pedal moves the master piston. A spring loaded seal moves onto the hole at the deep end of the master, and blocks fluid from getting back into the reservoir, so the only way it can go is down the pipes to the wheel cylinders.

When the seal gets tired, fluid CAN leak back into the reservoir.

Ealier CB (Compression Barrel) and later tandem master cylinders are above my pay grade.

Seal kits are not available (I think). My Lockheed book says all Hijets from 1986 to 1989 (I don't know what year my book was printed) have tandem master cylinders. It shows the size of wheel cylinders and calipers, but not the size of the master.

Question ... is it likely that they would make special seals for each and every type of cylinder? Would it be possible to search for seals from another Daihatsu master, that will fit a Hijet master? What is/are the diameter(s) of Hijet master piston(s)? My book only gives Pt.Nos for the Charmant ... and my book is pretty old.

Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by 602 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi,

No, I don't know what I'm talking about, and everybody but me probably knows this already, but just in case ...

Do an Ebay search for 272694704001 (rear wheel cylinder in USA) and 172451367121 (master cylinder in Oz)

Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks bro.

I fixed it. Two new wheel cylinders and a new Master cylinder. Funny thing: The Master cylinder didnt fit. I had to fiddle around with it. But I made it. Pretty anoying though. I made the DIY pressure bleeder and i am pretty sure i have all the air out. Much better than with vacuum pump. you can see nicely if there is still air coming out. Old master cylinder was broken. Now its just the issue about the lspv as mentioned in the last post. Dont know if it will fail mot because of it.

Will i have to readjust position of rear brake shoes? It feels like i have to pull the hand brake lever further than before. I had to reset brake shoes to get brake drums off. Also one of the little break shoe centering bolts broke off. And i had to forge a new one from a nail.
CoolJet
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:48 pm

You will need to adjust handbrake/ rear shoes to a reasonable pull (dont know allowed travel) and yes Lspv will fail an mot if not working correctly. As for bodging brakes...only you can make that decision but is it worth it?
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Actually i just tested the valve again and its working. The piston comes out by itself if the brakes are applied. I felt it with the finger while pressing the pedal. I can also move it with some small pointed pliers. Stoopid i didnt get it the first time. I just had the wrong pliers the first time and no second man. This time i took the smaller pointed ones and I can easly pull the piston out aprox. 5 millimeters. So i have to retry and bleed the brake line (number 139 in micro fish picture) again tomorrow while moving the piston. Its way too late now.

Massive thanks to Woody who just told me how to do it. Absolutely spot on. That was increadibly helpfull. cheers
CoolJet
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:06 pm

I felt it with the finger while pressing the pedal
Thats some long legs or arms
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 am

Yeah i am super slim and was leaning backwads throuth the inspection hole while pedaling at the breaks.
Not. I had the second man up in the pulpit.

I have to work today. Can only try to get on with the jet after work.
CoolJet
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by 602 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Cooljet,

A tall slim bloke could stand on the flat-back with one leg through the window.

I'll get my coat.

602 (Who believes in cutting hatches wherever they are needed)

Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Just to finish this up. Today i tried to bled again. I intendedly blocked either 1st or 2nd cylinder of master break cylinder by kinking the flexy hose from the retainer as last time. I tried to bleed at LSPV. And fresh fluid coming out either way. With and without pulling the piston of the LSPV.

I have to call it a success. Its a bit strange. I cant explain it. But it has to be all good now. I bled everything in every possible way. And the fluid that comes out looks absolutely clean. Its all flushed pretty pretty good. With the new mastre cylinder i bled 1.5 liters through. And i already bled everything last week before i got the new cylinder. So i guess thats all she wrote.

Thanks again for the support. If you ever need any parts. Ask Woody first. He will even help you to install them properly.
CoolJet
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:52 am

Blimey!! Seems like I will need to develop some Octopus limbs for my Mobile Bear Trap hands then CJ.
Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top