Catalytic Converter glowing Red Hot 993 efi.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Catalytic Converter glowing Red Hot 993 efi.

Post by albislug on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:25 am

HI, im new to this forum, hope you can help me.

My daughters got herself in a pickle the other side of the country in milton keynes, the cat is glowing red hot and needs replacing / bypassing so as she can drive back to devon and i can have a look . Or im going to have to go and get her with a trailer tomorrow. Weve found a exhaust garage nearby , her and her mate are sleeping in the van tonight and will see if they can get it fixed tomorrow. is there anything else specifically that she should look at, ie that could be sending more fuel down the exhaust than normal and burning out the cat? Cant find anything on this forum, maybe someone can help.

Cheersnow, Albi Slug.
albislug

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalytic Converter glowing Red Hot 993 efi.

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:00 pm

More fuel would cause it to run richer and cooler. A lean mixture,  less fuel and more air would cause it to run hot.

If a van has been standing for a while the cat goes a rusty red and gives the
illusion of being red hot even off the vehicle.

What other symptoms does the van have??
Is it  the water system overheating? Is it loosing power or has it lost power. See if you can find out from your daughter.  
You can contact me directly at
hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com with your phone number and I will call you.
I will keep a listen out for an email..
Ironically I am on holiday down in Sidmouth this week.      Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Yes this is half a story.

Why did they notice the cat is glowing?

Why did they even think its a problem?

More than likely on a 993 efi, the map sensor pipe that goes under the handbrake lever plactic is broken.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:23 pm

I found that odd too. That's why I questioned about the colour.
The Cat is a Piggy Back one so in order to see that you would have to crawl right under neath next to the Propshaft.
I wondered if it was in fact a 1300 with in-line Cat but no it is an R reg 993cc.

I spoke with the young ladies father Jon Snow and he told me that the garage cut off the Cat and put a pipe in place and the van was now running ok.
Other symptoms he knew not.
She is on her way down to Falmouth.
Oddly enough Jon's workshop is only about
15 miles from where I am staying so I am going over for a Coffee and a chat tomorrow or Wednesday.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Make sure that old cat is kept.

The vehicle will need a cat for its next MOT. It actually seems a bit retarded to remove it without resolving the underlying issue.

This thing is running very lean, I have seen lots of vehicles with glowing front exhaust sections and they are always running very dangerously lean.

It can really only be causes by a couple of things - a vacuum leak, a non functioning MAP system or a fuel supply issue.

The most likely on 993cc will be vacuum hoses, especially the ones that go to the MAP sensor under the handbrake cover. And the other part is the plastic vacuum takeoff which goes into the manifold which supplies the map sensor and that solenoid thing.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:19 pm

I bet the garage kept the cat. They were right up in Milton Keynes and the young lady is going right down to Falmouth in Cornwall nearly down to the Lizard near Lands End. Heck of a journey in a Hi-Jet.

Before I left the Island one of the jobs I did on my Hi-Jet was fit a Radfan Override Switch. It was a life saver on at least 8 occasions on the journey down. Kept the temperature down and going up into Lyme Regis I got caught up behind an overheating pile of crap, a VW Caravelle Diesel. It was in first gear struggling to do 15mph.
I looked down at my gauge and it was well up so banged heater on full and the Radfan and the temp came tumbling down.
We got right down to the bottom of the town and the hill going back up out is very steep and it was chucking out black smoke and revving the wot sits off it and slipping the clutch. Why do people buy those Mobile Heaps of Rubbish, particularly the air cooled ones.
I got past him and stormed up the hill out of Lyme Regis with no over heating problem although the gauge was definitely higher than usual. Out on the open road at 60 mph it cooled straight back down again.

Having a totally lazy week down here catching up with old friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by albislug on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:33 pm

They knew it was red hot because it was lighting up the ground under the van last night.

They got out to look because it was losing power and making a weird crackling noise. And their mates behind them were flashing them. Clever girls.

Cat was melted and blocked, bes tit got taken off really. Well the innards were removed by a random friendly mechanic who had seemingly just made his money for the day. Now straight through, and he sorted the loose sparkplugs that gave rise to the situation. (well, not completely clear on that, the girls have been working hard at silverstone for 4 very long days and a bit vague) (Not fixing motors, serving pimms)

Will check all the above, hopefully in the morning. Thanks for your help.

reckon a rad fan override is on the cards before she carries on to Kernow. got one on my 61 FG , just in case. radiator is about 10 times the size and the kenlowe does its thing fine.

Must admit petrol engines are a bit of a mystery. Had enough diesels, mostly BMCs, in bits on the side of the road in the day. I like the way they work. Just squash the fuel at about the right time and off you go...
albislug

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 pm

Sounds like Matt as usual is right then about the MAP Sensor or perished vacuum pipes.
Hence the overheating due to overly lean mixture. Good job they had someone tailing them AND had the sense to stop and get it investigated. Could have had all sorts of problems, blown hoses, blown radiator or worse head gasket.
The 993cc 's don't have a Fan Relay. They are wired direct from the ignition. So a reasonably meaty switch is advisable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top