Remove crankshaft cover

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Remove crankshaft cover

Post by n00bz0rz on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:07 am

Hey all.

I have in my possession a rather poorly 993cc EFI Hijet. The head gasket had blown, presumably due to poor maintenance from the previous owner, the coolant looked like mud when I drained it out.

I have replaced the head gasket but am now having trouble getting the engine to turn over / fire up, I have got the crankshaft to what I believe is TDC based on the markings on the flywheel, and have matched the camshaft to TDC also. I can turn the engine over by hand and there is no interference between valves & pistons so it seems to me like it's almost there.

My flywheel however appears to have 2 markings, one white coloured, one a baby blue colour, so I am not sure which one of these is the true TDC. I did put piston 1 into its max position while I had the head off which lined the crank up with the blue marking so I assume this should be TDC?

I cannot confirm this reading from the front of the crank as I cannot remove the bolt which holds the belt drive on, is there a way to lock the crank in place so I can crack this bolt off and get underneath the covers for this?

Other than that, is there anything I can look for while I've got the head off?

Cheers.

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove crankshaft cover

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:29 am

you wrote:I have replaced the head gasket but am now having trouble getting the engine to turn over / fire up

you wrote:Other than that, is there anything I can look for while I've got the head off?

I don't get what your saying - so you're taking the head off again?

Is the battery fully charged?

Did you take the distributor gear drive unit off?

Have you got the HT leads and Dizzy on exactly the right way?

Did it run before you took it apart?

There are timing marks on the bottom pulley for cam belt purposes.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:05 am

Hey HJ, thanks for the reply.

I have currently got the head on but I can take it off again if there's anything inside I can watch for to find true TDC.

This was the position of the pistons before I reassembled it: imgur.com/Liqfq8x (can't post links) which was showing the blue mark on the flywheel, I'm not sure if this is the correct position.

The battery is fully charged, being kept topped up as I had removed it fully from the van due to not knowing how long this process would take me. Obviously I put it back in while trying to start the engine.

I did take the entire distributor assembly off, including the drive gear housing, which I made sure to put back with the rotor in the middle of the number 1 lead contact. The leads & distributor are all present and correct as far as I can see.

It did run before I had it apart, but with a blown head gasket it wasn't long until the temps started rising.

The mark I'm trying to get to is the one on the crankshaft at the belt side so I can tell for sure when the engine is at TDC.

Other than that, have you ever seen a flywheel with 2 markings? If so, which one of these is correct for TDC?

Cheers.

Last edited by n00bz0rz on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Embedded image not working.)

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:13 am

Oh, while I was disconnecting hoses yesterday, I also stumbled upon a broken piece of pipe on the radiator cap under the passenger seat, I've circled the piece I mean here: imgur.com/Ml1084D - original image taken from the daihatsuhijet.co.uk page regarding overheating.

Do you know where I can source a new one of these tubes? The pressure cap sealing faces are a little corroded so this was in need of replacement anyway.

Thanks Smile

*edit*

Scratch that, I've since found a suitable part for replacement.

Ebay item number 301654000153 for anyone interested, assuming this is the correct diameter as I will need to measure up the hoses.

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Update:

Ok so I've had it apart and checked everything again, all is at TDC as far as I can see and the engine turns over but no go.

The check engine light is on, but when I bridge the diagnostics connector, the light just rapidly flashes, what does this mean?

Thanks.

Last edited by n00bz0rz on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Rapid flash means no faults on the engine management system. E.g. all sensors are working to some degree.

All 993cc's have 2 dots on the flywheel, one is the TDC mark, the other is the fire mark.

You do the timing belt alignment using these timing marks:-

Once that is done, the hardest thing to get right is the distributor gearbox drive thing.

I have had problems with getting the distributor timing right a few times before. I still have not found any marks on it to determine the correct tooth to tooth engagement.

I have resorted to slipping it in and out many times, then checking to see if its right by using a timing light on the fire mark on the flywheel.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:35 pm

Gotcha, I do have a feeling it's distributor related, will just do some tinkering tomorrow.

I have used that diagram for the cam wheel but I can't get the 'fan belt' drive wheel off the front of the crank, if I stick it in gear and try to undo it, it just tried to move the van instead of cracking the bolt off.

Would this mark be at the very bottom of the rotation considering how the engine is canted? I might just be able to drill a small hole in the cover to get an eye on the markings.

Cheers!

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:54 am

Just remove the bottom pulley like you are supposed to.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Cheers, I'll keep on trying.

I'm having the same trouble as this chap here: http://hijet.findtalk.biz/t1659-can-t-remove-crankshaft-pulley-on-99-hijet - I'll give the pulley some taps and see if I can't break it free.

Thanks!

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Yeah but his was a 1.3 and yours is a 993cc, with very difference crank pulley designs.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Ah, didn't notice that. Am I correct in saying the pulley is held on by the big bolt on the front in this case?

That's the bit I'm struggling with but if the blue marking on the flywheel indicates TDC like it seems to do, will this not be the same as checking the marking on the crankshaft?

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:02 pm

Update:

Trying to remove bolt from middle of pulley, jammed the cam pulley as there's nowhere to lock the crank pulley and broke the timing belt while trying to crack the nut.

Still can't get the thing off.

Anyway, anyone want to buy a non-running 97 hijet?

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:06 pm

What are you doing using bars etc to get a pulley bolt off.

You don't use pulleys/belts as a locking device. You will break something worse that a belt mate!!

They are removed using an impact driver. Put it on, give it a good rattling and off they come.

Otherwise a welded up ratchet and a big bloody sledge hammer downwards is another trick.

Same goes for every bolt on any kind of rotating assembly on any vehicle, machine etc etc.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:36 am

Yeah, lesson learned on that one.

I've had an impact wrench going on it until my hands went numb, I've ordered a breaker bar and will get some flat bar to bolt onto the pulley, that should hopefully crack it.

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bz0rz on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:45 pm

So just as an update, I've cracked the bolt off now, drilled 2 holes in the flat bar and put some bolts through into the holes on the pulley, which gave me enough leverage to get the bolt moving (just! it's a tough one!).

So that's off, just waiting for the new timing belt assembly to arrive and it should be up and running shortly after.

n00bz0rz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top