brakes and stub axles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

brakes and stub axles

Post by gandalf on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:16 pm

i know this has been talked about before but wanted to make all aware of a potential danger,   used my van the other day and found the brake pedal a bit spongy, so i checked the brake fluid which was ok and did the boost thing and it was fine for a couple of days.   Then the brakes started again with the pedal  feeling soft, i'd only gone a couple of miles when it got the the pedal going down almost to the flour, again checked the brake fluid which was ok, then turned round and drove slowly to the garage that fixes my helps sort out any problems i have.     It turns out the the end of the stub axle including the castellated nut had sheared off the end of the stub axle meaning the the wheel was only held in place by the brake calipers.    fortunately i'd kept my old van for spares so one of the stub axles was used to replace the broken one. a lucky solution to an  unexpected potential disaster. unfortunately i seem unable to post a picture of the axle

Last edited by gandalf on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no photo)

gandalf

Back to top Go down

Re: brakes and stub axles

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:19 pm

I bet the wheel bearing had been shagged for ages.

Glad you are safe!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top