Engine Idles to Quick until Warm Hijet 1.3 efi

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Engine Idles to Quick until Warm Hijet 1.3 efi

Post by metamorph67 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Hi, i'm a bit lost with this problem, with the weather being so cold, when i start the van the idle is so fast it's a bit hairy to drive until it warms up, i've adjusted the tick-over at normal engine temperature, but it seems that a temperature thermistor must be involved somewhere and is sending a resistance value back to the ECU, when the engine is warm all calms down, firstly, where the hell is this illusive temperature sender?? Secondly could it be that temp sender thermistor is to blame as it probably sends a resistance value to the ECU which in-turn tells the injection manifold how to behave, am i on the right track? Help Please Someone, this must be a common problem. Cheers. Sad

Last edited by metamorph67 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : poor spelling!)

metamorph67

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine Idles to Quick until Warm Hijet 1.3 efi

Post by PFM on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:26 pm

It's normal for anything without a manual choke to rev higher until warm. My car goes 800-900 rpm when warm but 1100 or even 1200 when hot. My Dad once had a Merc that would do 30 in 4th with no throttle when cold! Are you saying this is a) different to how it used to be, b) it's revving it's guts out or c) a hijet is new to you?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by metamorph67 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:50 am

The van is new to me, but the van is revving far to high, considering that it should be able to atleast drive straight off, it's advised with modern engines that warming them up on idle is counterproductive and the manual says it's not great for the catalytic converter, i used to work on alot of cars when i was a fitter and automatic chokes do get sticky as they age, but this does not run on the same princible because it is injection manifold and hasn,t a coil of metal controling a flap as such. When the van went for the MOT the inspector had an awful job to get the idle readings he wanted for the emissions, but he was aloud to skip that particular rev range because of the problem, he said that it was a common fault and said mine was far to high to be comfortable with driving, i mean, on warm up, every time i dip the clutch to change gear the revs go through the roof and every body looks! I would say they should be 1050 - 1100 when warming and at 900 -950 when fully warm, makes engaging gears harder and ultimate control more dangerous, i just wondered if i could do a mod when i find the thermister ( maybe with a variable resister bypass)
Thanks anyway, i am grateful for any feedback, i do love the van - Jon

Last edited by metamorph67 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Poor grammer)

metamorph67

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:44 pm

on the 993 3 cylinder the temp sender is under the dizzy at the back off the head and the 1.3 looks the same but with a extra cylinder at the front.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by metamorph67 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks for that, ive now read the manual in a bit more detail, it's a very complicated setup (or the manual is just unhelpful!) anyway, there is a whats called an 'Idle Up VSV' in short, there is a water jacket or a feed pipe from the coolent water to a mechanism at the air intake of the manifold, when the temperature of the water is cold an amount of air is allowed to bypass the main throttle Flap/Valve, this apperently brings the revs up, there is a test to ascertain wether or not the mechanism is working correctly, and more importantly i may be able to restrict that amount of air as 'a mod'. The trouble is with these vans is that accessability is limited and space to work really tight, i don't want to disturb the injection manifold as i may just open another can of worms as well as having to order parts from Daihatsu. I will keep you all posted, incidently thankyou for pointing out where the sensor is, my manual says it is a double thermister, one signal used for the Temp Guage and the other to control the 'Idle Up VSV' via the ECU. Summer,,,, please return! I can live with it though, it doesn't take long for the van to get a little warm and the revs to drop, just a bit annoying! Cheers - Jon Arrow

metamorph67

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top