Where to get serviced in the South East?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where to get serviced in the South East?

Post by williamblah1 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:51 am

Hi,

Just picked up a 1996 1.2 diesel panel to use as a day van/basic camper! So I hope you'll welcome me to the club!

Anyone have any good contacts in the South East of England (I'm Colchester, Essex) for giving him a really good first service?

Ta
Will

williamblah1

Back to top Go down

Re: Where to get serviced in the South East?

Post by PFM on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 am

Welcome, but South East??? You're just North of Watford! Seriously though, loads of vans were sold in Essex it seems, right up to the later Porters. The diesel is a rarer and less-loved beast though, and many on here will suggest getting a 1.3 to convert instead.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:58 am

Welcome to the Forum. My total dislike for the Lombardini Diesel engined Hi-Jet is well documented on here and PFM 's advice is seconded by me. But we all have to try and live by our means or opportunities that present themselves.
Woodford Green Motors are an excellent source of spares and very helpful people. I don't know anything about their mechanical services but I would imagine that their reputation would be the same.

But a word of warning. Daihatsu /Piaggio Porter spares are poisonously priced. I have broken a couple of 1200 Diesels and have a complete running van with excellent engine around 74,000 miles for sale for spares. hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by williamblah1 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks all.

It depends who you ask, but we're definitely south East of the UK, East of England maybe!

Yeah I found out the diesel reputation after purchase. It already has an updated head gasket, runs pretty nicely (got me home from Kent), no overheating at all.

I'm probably looking at putting another 10k miles on her before I sell)(at 70k at the mo) so I guess I'll see how she copes!

Are you a Londoner Pfm? You aren't in the middle of the world Wink

williamblah1

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Of course London is the centre of the world! Well, I was born on the outskirts, but am now on the South East Coast - after a 10 minute drive from home I can go for a paddle on the shores of the English Channel.

You'll be fine with the diesel - as long as you're not in a hurry to get anywhere Very Happy

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by williamblah1 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Its done me alright today on an hour round trip again. Quite smokey just on start up and I've noticed the engine really has a wobble while its being turned by the starter motor... Almost ' violently '. Not noticeable while driving, although a bit knockey when idling at lights. I feel like it could do with some bolts tightening around the engine mounts, we'll see!

williamblah1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:08 am

Sounds like a normal Diesel Hi-Jet. Older ones always try to emulate a thick London "Pea Souper Smog" on start up and a 2nd World War Gas mask is a mandatory part of the tool kit to be kept handy in the glove box. They sound like a Maniarchal Village Blacksmith trying to get work done on the Anvil for an early finish on a Friday afternoon so he can get a few extra pints in at the local pub.

If you have got a good one then like mine the smog soon clears and it still chatters away on tick over and the engine shake is reminiscent of the film " The Hand that rocks the Cradle". It is unlikely to be "loose bolts" as the engine mounts are threaded studs with nuts and they are always a pig to get undone. It's more likely just tired squidgy rubber engine mounts or the metalastic rubber has become detached from one of the threaded mounting plates.
As PFM says, you won't be going anywhere in a hurry, as you only had 34bhp on tap when brand new which is the same as a 1959 850cc BMC Mini engine. 55mph is about tops on the flat but I have achieved 70 ish downhill in a 1200 version. The later 1400 version was a good bit better but for all round, speed and economy, used spares availability and all round fun then the 1300 is the best choice of Hi-Jet.

Back to top Go down

Post by williamblah1 on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:59 am

I'm glad I bought the Hijet, if only for the pleasure of reading that reply! Smile

williamblah1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:18 am

Well most of us, like to inject a bit of fun and leg pulling into our posts on here, Logi especially, PFM, Waz, OLDIE, HJ, and worst of all me. Some of these Car Forums you read are a real bunch of boring, anorak clad, Nurds.
You won't get that on here for sure. But you will find great help and very useful advice on here. If you are not sure of something THEN ALWAYS ASK. You'll get stupid replies from the likes of me but we all muck in together with advice and help and spare parts or the best known place to get them.
Just be prepared for a bit of Mickey taking though from time to time.

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:15 pm

A truly great forum Very Happy

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top