Felt a little bit of dampness...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Felt a little bit of dampness...

Post by Raggy on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Depending on how you read the topic title this topic could go anywhere! But heres my take on it, when I got the van I did notice a bit of dampness under the passenger side footwell mat, it had just been washed so I presumed it to have been that but after all this rain Mad just looked this morning and its damp again. Not swimmingly wet, just wet. Is this something that is know about, if so wheres it comming from (yes, had a look but cant see where) or if its not a known fault, whats the most likely culprit?
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a little bit of dampness...

Post by elfin girl on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:04 pm

ive got this in drivers side foot well, not found reason yet, i wear a good size tena lady on long journeys so im sure its not that Laughing but you have just reminded me i need to put something under the carpet to soak it up!
elfin girl
Cinquecento

https://www.facebook.com/bydonellamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:17 pm

elfin girl wrote:i need to put something under the carpet to soak it up!
I do hope that's a euphemism!  Laughing
Door or window seals would be first things I'd check, then take glove-box out to see if any trace of ingress from windscreen seal. I've not experienced it on any of my 4 vans though. Sure it's not a passenger with a problem???

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:32 pm

Passengers! My mother was sat there this morning!...but it was there before she got in.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Nearly every Hi-Jet I have had gets water under the carpet, but mostly the driver's side. The small rubber seal on the windscreen pillars are held on with little plastic T shaped poppers that that push into the rubber and then through the holes made, in the pillar. I reckon that small amounts of water comes through the T piece holes and as it it a tubular seal when the door shuts and compresses the the seal making it act like a pump diaphragm pushing water into the windscreen pillar which is open ended and the water ends up draining down ending up under the carpet.
Obviously with time the T seals wear smaller and capillary action can be taken into account as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Sounds likely, will have a another look tomorrow when I tackle the window...so long as its not raining!
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:49 pm

Had the same thing passenger side last winter, I thought it was coming through the side behind the indicator fitting as I could see a little gap...probably need to check under the carpet again after recent weather. I'm sure its got something to do with the gutter rail - in heavy rain water just pours off straight onto the door seal. Weird thing is the carpet never gets wet on the top and I could never see any sign of water anywhere but in the paddling pool underneath.
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:24 am

In some ways thats comforting news, at least its not an isolated case, I'll have another look and more than likely just end up keeping an eye on it.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Checked this out at the start of a downpour and found the ingress coming from a join to the right hand side of the passenger footwell as per pic, green arrow is the join, it comes out of the bottom, forms a little pool where the orange arrow is, then when full flows down toward the bottom right of the footwell where it pools up and soaks into the carpet:

Tracing how the water is getting there from the other side is going to be a bit trickier though. Might try sealing it up at the weekend.
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Hmmm, will have a look in the morning, not checked it since. Was starting to think it was down to a badly fitting winding window seal, rain going down inside of door but thinking back, door was definately very dry when I went in to sort window etc, so you could be onto something. I'll post back if I find similar.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:05 pm

That must be almost below the heater matrix.....

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Went out and checked mine and guess what....slight dampness in middle of floor under carpet....bone dry all around it! I' putting it down to condensation!
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:48 pm

Either that or early incontinence!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:03 pm

lol! Getting to that age!
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Think I founf culprit for the water leak...the rubber door seal if almost flat at that bottom edge so I thing water when moving in rain gets pushed up, past seal and next place is under carpet onto floor. Only way as floor not wet from anywhere else. Time for some new door rubber seals I think.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Its sneaky that there rain! Hope the new rubber keeps out unwanted leaks...
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top