Gurgling noise

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gurgling noise

Post by Sarahax on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:44 am

Last night when I switched off the engine after a 20 mile run I heard gurgling and bubbling coming from the engine. Was quite loud. Seemed to be coming from near the hand brake. What could this be? Is it serious?

Have just had look at the now cooled engine. The coolant container is between half and full. There are two rubber pipes that attach to the container. One is attached to something, one is non attached and free floating - see photo. Is this right? Or is this a problem? (You can tell I am not a mechanic.) I'm just trying to work out if I top up the coolant it will be safe to drive.
https://goo.gl/photos/r9TshPVaFXawD67EA

Last edited by Sarahax on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a picture)

Sarahax

Back to top Go down

Re: Gurgling noise

Post by Raggy on Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:41 pm

That is correct, one is the overflow from the bottle so will just drain out to the floor (not a good sign) the other comes from the cooling system.  When the engine gets hot after/during a run, water due to heat expands and is released into the bottle ( has to go somewhere otherwise the pressure build up would not be good for the engine/cooling system) and the bottle fills,  then when it starts to cool down after a run, the water contacts due to a loss of heat and the water pushed into the bottle is 'sucked back' and returned to the cooling system to maintain a status quo, hence ideally you should not loose any water. The bubbling may be the system overheating and pushing water into the bottle too juch but without furth investigation/observation would be difficult to tell. Whats the temp guage showing, normal running variences, going hot then cooling as thermostat opens or hot needle pushing the top end of the scale all the time? You probably need to watch the guage and look at the bottle while its cold and see where the level is, afte the next run see where it gets to, then see where the level is again after it has cooled.
Finally I am no expert having not been a hijet owner that long myself so I am sure others will be able to maybe give you more pointers.
Have a look at the buyers guide on here, it has some good info on checking a hijet for cooling system faults etc. I found it very usefull.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:40 am

This happened last night? A Friday night.? Pay-day.? You weren't out in the beer with Logi, and left him asleep in the back of the van?  That would  definitely account for the gurgling sound.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:26 pm

No farting? Wasn't me then Smile

Sounds like a leak, or airlock?
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:27 pm

And check the coolant level in the cap beneath the seat.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post by Sarahax on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:43 pm

for your advice - especially Raggy for the clear explanation. I have topped up the coolant, as there was much less than I thought, which is bit worrying - maybe a leak somewhere? I have made a note of the level in the container and will watch to see what happens.Thanks again for the help.

Sarahax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top