absolutely nowt!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

absolutely nowt!

Post by neil on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:00 pm

hi all, i was wondering if anyone has ran into the same problem! i have a 1.3 piaggio porter that has decided to just die on me, when i turn the key there is nothing no lights on the dash, and no familiar fuel pump noise, nothing, i have checked the battery and the earth coming from the battery and this is fine, and bought a multitester, ( i am in no way mechanically minded) now i thought i would check the ignition itself and it seems there is no power going to this, nor the fuses, please help. i am trying to keep costs to a minimum before taking it to a garage!thanks in advance!!! Neil.

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Re: absolutely nowt!

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:30 pm

This sounds like the usual Battery  positive terminal problem. There are twin wires coming off battery terminal which then goes into a grey round  connector plug then the twin wires continues on its merry in way in  a black flexible conduit up into the engine bay to another grey connector block and divides there into two parts of the loom.

The usual Villain of the peace is a broken wire going into or out of the grey round connector plug. Check for power coming from  the wires out of the plug.  One or another  of the two wires is likely to be broken in its sheathing. Ideally a 12volt meter with both crocodile clips and and pointed ends. Use the  negative ( black) crocodile clip to on the negative terminal of the battery or on the bodywork. Use the red (positive) sharp pointed end to puncture a hole in the sheathing of  one of the two positive cables and see if you have a reading.
Do the same with the other one. If both give live readings then check the same way the wires coming out of the grey plug. Hopefully this is where your problem lies. You can contact me on:    hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:36 pm

many thank's woody!!!will give that a look!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:18 pm

here's where i'm up too! I have tested the cables coming into the starter motor, and I have power up to that point! I have not yet had the time to go any farther, !!just thought I would give a little update!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:04 am

It's 99% the little wires Woody mentioned.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:19 am

I emailed Neil last night  and concluded that it must be the 60 amp PAL Main Fuse.  Brave man went out in  the manky Scots night and got down and  got dirty.  
He managed to get the fuse out  and reckons it is blown.  I can't get my Bear Trap hands in the space in mine to get at the fuse holder. My Van  does  have LPG though so there is more rubbish in the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:21 am

I still think it's the wee wires, you'll get power to the starter through the main cable, mines was buggered with 8k on the clock.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:33 am

Well that was still my gut feeling but Neil has checked it out so one can only go on information received Logi.
Neil, did you check the large grey loom connection plugs in the engine bay that I mentioned in my emails??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:21 pm

I heard from Neil yesterday and it was the 60amp PAL fuse. Started ok with a jump start he told me. So that is another happy Forum member back on the road.

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:26 pm

just a wee update with my wee van, it turned out to be a spent main fuse!! had it not been for the help I received so generously from this site i'm sure it would have been a decent garage bill!! many thanks to those involved!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Woody to the rescue once again!
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 pm

I have just this minute tried my van and the same thing has happened! seems there may well be an underlying issue! (bugger)

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:29 pm

You sound to have a dead short on the ignition side of the fuse then. May be a si matter of simple  elimination or a nightmare one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm still betting on the wee grey connector in the wee wires....... bounce
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:23 pm

is that the wee grey connector that is right next to the positive battery terminal?

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:40 pm

It's generally outside the battery box?
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:50 pm

if it was easy enough, i'd post some pics! probably won't get to until the weekend!!!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Personally, I'd cut it off and replace the wires from.back up the loom a bit to the battery, dont see any need for a connector there anyway ( that's what I did on mine)
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:19 pm

will certainly have a look and see what I can do!!!cheers!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:27 pm

But why is the 60amp fuse blowing??  If there is a short between the battery and the  fuse, it shouldn't blow the fuse as battery is the supply and the other side is the demand side protecting against a dead short on the demand side. 

Neil,  did you check out the continuity of both wires going into and out of the round grey plug next to the battery? 
 To put it simply is there power in the two wires coming off the battery and is there power  in the two wires coming out of the grey connector plug which then goes to the two connector plugs in the engine bay at the side of the engine. 

You said there was power at the  starter motor cable coming from the battery, but that cable is independent of the two wires. Nothing to do with this wiring. 
 One of the two wires goes to the 60amp fuse. The other dissapears into the main loom, 
going I would hazard a guess to the fuse box. I don't know that, as I have never ripped a loom completely to pieces and I don't have a wiring diagram. Matt would have a better idea about that for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:30 am

be the weekend until I get a look!!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:09 am

You need to check out your hole......... affraid

And a wee pause, Wink

Could be the grommet is missing and the battery cable is earthing if it's rubbed through? It's not the greatest design.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:05 pm

haha!! excuse me, lol,

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:06 pm

is that the wee grommet where the cables disappear out of the battery well?

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Yes, Wallace!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:06 pm

happy new year fellow micro owners! a wee update as to my predicament! I still have not managed to find the problem with my piaggio, but in poking around I did notice some major corrosion on the fuel tank! I have managed to find one second hand and I'm in the process of giving it a rub down and eventually painting it with some hammerite, once its ready to go, i'll get the van on some axle stands at which point I can have a serious look as to what the problem may be with regards to the electrical problem!
can anyone recommend a fuel filter?? or should I stick to piaggio/ Diahatsu parts???

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 pm

after some thorough investigation from the chap at the garage, it turns out my wiring loom had rubbed so much off the chassis, that it shorted a wire which caused the main fuse to blow , got my van back on the road yesterday!!! happy days!!! would like to thank all who helped oot! cheer's,
Neil!!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Well done, a good result there. Happy days again. Dont be a stranger and keep popping back on here.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:54 pm

will do, would love to go to a meet some time!!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top