wheels, suspension, etc

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wheels, suspension, etc

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:56 pm

I just got a 97 cushman white van and I am wondering if there is anything you guys upgrade to make your vans perform better at highway speed. Right now I'm running 175/70 R13 82T tires. They are a bit narrow and I was thinking of getting wider tires and going up on tire diameter as well to get better gearing. 1st gear works like a granny gear and 5th gear top speed is 65, 55 if you don't want to blow up the engine.

Is there any suspension upgrades or adjustments you do as well?

Back to top Go down

Re: wheels, suspension, etc

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:57 pm

Well they are almost an inch wider  than the standard 155/80/12's they were factory fitted with.  I am running Hi-Jet SE  alloy  wheels with 185/60/13's. 
They have the same rolling circumference of the 12" Steel Wheels so my speedo is correct. Your van is a 97 so I am assuming that it is a 3 cylinder 993cc. 

As soon as you put larger diameter wheels and tyres on your speedo will be running slow, but then as the Fuel distribution is run off the ECU and the module in the speedo head tells the ECU that the vehicle is going slower than it is the mixture will be weaker and as you increase the tyre diameter the harder you make the engine work. With a weaker mixture and engine  working harder so you are raising the engine temperature. Hi-Jets aren't exactly in the  Guinness book of records for staying cool. 
The highest ratio Hi-Jet  axle you can fit is the one fitted to the 1300.  A customer of mine in Wales fitted 16" wheels with  low profile tyres  to his 993cc Van and it had abysmal acceleration and was struggling to pull 5th gear. Apart from which it looked ridiculous,  like a tea trolley  and the wheels fouled the wheel arches  on less than full lock.  After less than a month, he took the 16"  wheels off and dropped down to 13" wheels. 
If you are able to get the cam and head modified that is one way  of improving the performance but the ECU isn't easily reprogramable,  not here in the UK anyway  I am told.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm in the US and my speedometer reads in km so it's pretty much useless to begin with.

It's not a Hijet either, it's a Cushman. 4cyl, 5 speed, 1000cc. I don't think there is an ECU on it unless its running one with the carburetor.

I'm hoping to get a more stable ride at higher speeds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:37 pm

No, you are right about that.  Carburetor - -  no ECU. Don't know what a Cushman is but I am hazarding a guess the engine is actually 970cc. 4 cylinders and carburetor sounds like a Suzuki to  me?? Would that be correct brinkster?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Cushman, then CMC (China Motor Company). But it says Ransomes on the grill under where it said CMC. From what I gather it's kind of a hybrid of a few car companies. Could be suzuki but I've also heard Mitsubishi as well. It could actually be a 1060cc from what I see on another forum. I just got it and haven't had a chance to dig around for serial numbers or anything that will give me a definitive answer. It was originally sold as a Cushman White Van. 'Cushman' being the make, 'White Van' being the model.

Most of them in the US were/are governed to 25mph with limited transmission. The previous owner of mine removed the governor and opened up the transmission to all 5 gears.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:55 am

Wow !!  I have just done a search on Cushman on Google. It says that the Company was started in 1903 and was purchased by our British Company Ransomes in 1989 and that was then later purchased by Textron. Production finished in 2002.
That was referring to production of the Cushman Truckster. It was governed down to 25mph and had had the 5 speed manual gearbox restricted to two or 3 gears.  It  was built as a  public service vehicle for street cleaning etc, Mail delivery. It has tiny little wheels on it.  A big part of the business was Golf Carts. 
They over the years have certainly produced some hideous looking Motor  Bikes, 3 wheelers and other very small  Commercial Vehicles. 

But I couldn't find anything about your van though. As Raggy says, if you can post some pictures of it we would I am sure like to see what it is like. I think that you have to wait for a week of Membership before you can post pictures on the Forum. Don't ask me how. I haven't got a clue - or more to the point can't be bothered to go through such an archaic, time wasting clinical procedure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:02 am

I have just had a look at the China Motor Corporation. Founded in 1969. There are four pictures of vehicles they have produced.  
First one is a picture of a very sad looking 1980's Pickup that is almost identical to the 850 Daihatsu Hi-Jet. Then there is a picture of a 2002 1200 Verica Van which looks very similar to a Hi-Jet that the recently departed George Barris has been let loose on. It  has an extended front to it and the roof - line looks a little different. But certainly not dissimilar to our beloved Hi-Jets. I can't think why they would want to restrict the van to 25mph though. Bearing that in mind and you say that yours runs out of steam at 65mph,it seems like they may have  the early 1200 Diesel Hi-Jet axle. My 1300 will pull 90mph so big difference between the ratios. Do you have the blanket 55mph speed  limit in force where you are? 
But that is all that there was in the article.  You have seen pictures of our Hi-Jets. 
Is your Cushman similar to ours is the first point of reference to start  from? 

Given your location and possible shortage of available parts and your wonderful proliferation of Engine Performance Tuning Shops, I would think that is the best route to go down. I guess that if you are doing a lot of distance driving then you want the higher ratio for comfortable cruising speed. 

Going back to your original post about upgrading performance of our Hi-Jets, our 1300 engines are 16valve and develop 65bhp. I don't know of any current members that have had their 1300 engines tuned. 
The route I am taking is to fit the 1600 Daihatsu Grand Move Engine  which develops 94bhp. I have found an Engine Tuning Company in Essex that tune the 16valve Daihatsu engines for Stock Car Racing.  Charlie, the boss of the Company told me that he can prepare an engine for me with a Piper Road /Rally Specifications Camshaft,  larger valves  and gas flowed head,  new lightened and  balanced Pistons, Conrods and Crankshaft and Flywheel  to produce 130bhp or thereabouts. Price between £1500 and £2000  depending on how wild I want to go. But double the original BHP I like the sound of but I have first got to sort out the brakes with larger better Calipers,   Brake Balance Valve,  etc and better suspension so loads to do if I decide to go the tuned 1600 route or settle for the standard reliable 94bhp. Still need to sort out the brakes though. It is surprising how much the difference of braking quality can differ between one Hi-Jet to another. Same with performance too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:09 pm

I see you have got your Avatar up now and yes that is the Verica they  showed in the  China Motor Corporation  information.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:21 am

This really annoys me. Totally Ungrateful Time-wasting Pillocks. People that come on here and drain everyone of information and then dissapear into the ethos without so much as a thank you or goodbye.

I spent quite a bit of time researching and replying to this ungrateful Git, and I know many of you have done the same for other
" New Members " This particular one BRINKSTER hasn't even been back on the Site since 9th December. Christmas??
Bah Humbug!!
I think BRINKS in this case is quite appropriate. He has come on here and robbed us of Golden Information and then done a runner. Just like the BRINKS-MATT GOLD BULLION ROBBERY at Heathrow.
Still I have learnt what a Verica is. But not patience or modesty. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:35 pm

Yeah Twisted Evil ......you tell him Woody Very Happy ....don't mess with Woody....not before Christmas anyway santa .

Have a nice Christmas Woody cheers .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Or after!! santa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Anyway, what are you doing up this late at night?? Isn't it well past your bedtime? Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:45 pm

Wow. Woody, you should try and relax for a bit. I'm not being ungrateful and there is no need to call me names because I didn't respond to you in 11 days. I'm a busy person and haven't had the chance to go through your response and see if it's feasible for me to do any of those modifications. Maybe you should get a dog or something instead of spending your time on the internet waiting for gratitude.

Back to top Go down

Post by waz on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:16 pm

FIGHT
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:33 pm

waz wrote:FIGHT

Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:47 pm

Thats odd. You were on the Forum serupticously a couple  of times before the last visit on the 9th. You have got time to look on here without signing in too. You aren't too busy for that are You?   Then suddenly after I post  comments - -  you Magically appear.  Well what a coincidence Brinkster.  The trouble is I waste my time on here,  as do others on here trying to help ungrateful spongers  like you.   Seen it too often Brinkster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Yes I did. Why are you monitoring my time on the forum? That's kind of creepy. I was searching through the forum to see if I could find answers to other questions I had before asking them. Do you look into other peoples houses with binoculars as a hobby as well?

As a user of various forums I've found that it's best to post only when needed as to keep the thread clean and easy to search for those who have similar questions. If you fill it up with useless garbage, as you have, then it becomes a pain to find answers and ultimately worthless. I responded because I felt I needed to defend myself. So here is a suggestion. If you need constant vindication from others to make you feel wanted I suggest you see a therapist and talk to them about your low self esteem.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:30 am

brinkster wrote:.  So here is a suggestion.  If you need constant vindication from others to make you feel wanted I suggest you see a therapist and talk to them about your low self esteem.

....I have a suggestion for you too Brinkster.....with the benefit of hindsight with reference to this thread, a little post from you saying....

'Cheers for the info Woody, I shall look into this and get back to you when I have more time as I'm a bit busy at the mo...but thanks again'.

In Britain it's called being polite...politeness costs nothing and make's everywhere a nicer place to be.

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Perhaps you should follow your own advice as well and give people a little more than two weeks to respond.  This is a forum, not a phone call.  You have no idea what is going on in other peoples lives. To conclude that they are purposely being rude to you and then proceed to insult them with out any information makes you look like a child.  I would have loved to share information with others on this forum as I work on this project but now after dealing with your righteous ass I'm done with it.  I hope in the future you show some patience with people you don't know.  It cost nothing and makes every bodies lives easier.

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Just think a minute, Mr B - you have made 6 posts in under a month, and 3 of those have been critical of a long-standing, highly respected and knowledgeable member who went out of his way to offer interesting comment and advice. As a user of other forums, you should be aware how frustrating it is to offer newbies advice and not receive any acknowledgement or even continuing posts. May I politely suggest you stick with those forums where you will obviosuly feel more welcome than here.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:21 pm

brinkster wrote:Perhaps you should follow your own advice as well and give people a little more than two weeks to respond.  This is a forum, not a phone call.  You have no idea what is going on in other peoples lives. To conclude that they are purposely being rude to you and then proceed to insult them with out any information makes you look like a child.  I would have loved to share information with others on this forum as I work on this project but now after dealing with your righteous ass I'm done with it.  I hope in the future you show some patience with people you don't know.  It cost nothing and makes every bodies lives easier.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:37 am

Brinkster aka Richard Cranium Arrow 100% idiot Laughing .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top