A little late

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A little late

Post by bendillon on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:34 pm

Evening all,

So I've had my van a month of so now, and have posted a few things, but realised that I hadn't introduced myself (how rude!).

This is my second Hijet, the first being a 1.2 diesel, which blew up whilst driving it home from the dealers! It was my first car, after being obsessed with them for a while, but it put me off for a few years...

Now, 5-6 years later, I've bought myself another little Hijet, this time a 1.3, 1998 panel van, with an aim to make it into a little camper, with a lot of influence from this chap:

https://woodkali.wordpress.com/

So far, I've got it home (just... overheated), cried a little after realising I'd bought another overheating Hijet, then set to work stripping it down and rebuilding the engine. I've already taken the head off once, put it back together wrong, and am now in the process of trying to work out what I did wrong, or what needs replacing to make it work again!

Things I still need to do = everything. I'm planning on painting inside and out (roller, I'm on a tight budget), putting in a false floor, with drawers for cooking, storage, auxiliary power etc, replace all linings and carpets (will be doing this with hessian and other hippie 'natural fabrics'), and putting up a deck roof rack, complete with deck chairs (I know this is stupid and I'll probably fall off and break my legs). Also I need to fix many things, such as fuel sender, engine, exhaust, rust, etc etc etc.

Pictures to follow,

Ben, from sunny Suffolk
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Re: A little late

Post by bendillon on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Some smart roadster heated leather seats I picked up from ebay, which I plan to fit (actually triggered my dad to go out and buy a smart roadster with them fitted)

This is an indication of its current state... not so pretty

bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Love the leather Smartcar seats Twisted Evil
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks! Only the best!
Any idea how I'd wire in the heated elements?
Just need to get the thing running so I can put them in!
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:23 pm

wow your van looks like a pile of shit, look forward to seeing your progress. I'm building a roof rack and had thought to potentially have seats up there and a little ladder thing at the back. I have the mpv version so thought I could just move the inside seats onto the roof, but you're right it is a bit of a fall..
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:26 pm

It does a bit! when I bought it I thought it was all just cosmetic, underneath is all solid, and really there's not a bit of rust in sight! turns out the engine was knackered though!

Great idea! I just have pictures in my head of sitting there with a beer in my deck chair! how are you building your roof rack out if interest?
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:42 pm

I was going to get some cheap galvanised hand rail from fhbrundle so about £20 for 6.5m of steel tube, and just weld up a frame (have a cheap welder off ebay). I want it 1200mm wide which is closer to the bottom width of the van so it will stick out a bit relative to the top, but it means I can get 8x4ft boards on it which is handy and I also just think it will be fun to have it like that. Haven't totally figured out how to attach it though, either gutter rail clamps (though I've not been able to find suitable ones) or make my own clamps somehow. The guy's van you linked to is a very nice job. Not keen on the red but the raised bed is nice. Mine has windows all around and I like the idea of waking up to panoramic views-..
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:06 pm

Sounds great! I was just going to make the rack from old decking and some old roof bars, but your idea sounds a lot more proper! I'm interested in seeing how you get the ladder at the back, if you are going to do that, as I was thinking about welding something up for that.

yeah he's my main source of inspiration for the interior, the main purpose of buying the van was for the camper bit. Would be nice if you're remote, otherwise it could be waking up to lots of people with views of you sleeping! (might be worth checking local dogging spots and avoiding them... unless that's something you're into!)
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top