Piaggio Porter Sprint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Piaggio Porter Sprint

Post by V-Low on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm Gerald from the Netherlands and I drive this Piaggio Porter. A few years ago I bought this pickup and started to modify almost anything. I've posted a topic in the workshop section a long time ago, but I noticed the pictures didn't work anymore.(http://hijet.findtalk.biz/t2267-porter-custom-project)
Back then I had a few pictures of lowering my Piaggio and adding air suspension at the back. Since my last post there's a lot changed on my Porter.

The whole front end is replaced with a Piaggio Quargo bumper and lights. The rims and tires has been replaced with red 15" steelies to match the Ducati wheels. The front wheels are 15/7" with 165/50-15 tires and the rear 15/8" with 175/50-15 tires. To make these big wheels fit, I had to replace the fenders with wider ones. In the front I've used Golf 2 fender flares.

Here are some pictures of me racing on the TT-Assen circuit in the Netherlands:  

This is how it all started:

It's good to see so many cool Hijets on this forum since I last visited it a year ago.

I will repost a few process pictures soon.
V-Low
Clubman

http://geraldvanloo.nl

Back to top Go down

Re: Piaggio Porter Sprint

Post by Raggy on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:28 pm

That's brilliant, keep coming back and posting a few photos
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:21 pm

Badass!

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:01 pm

Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:23 am

cool, nice to see you stil have it..
a while back i have seen your ex wheels for sale on marktplaats
i then thought you sold your pickup

scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by V-Low on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Here are some pictures of the things I've chanced last year.

Wooden sides instead of the ugly aluminium ones from the factory. I've used 145x25mm larch wood, normally used for decking. These fit perfectly in the original frames. The wood is much darker now, because of the weather.

Modified Piaggio Quargo front bumper. The bumper was to high, so I've welded the original bottom half under it. The 2 pieces are reinforced with fine mesh.

The big 15" wheels with small tires before the were stretched. At the rear I've used boat trailer fenders and welded some brackets to hold them in place.

V-Low
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PvdB on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Looks like you have the same rear fenders than I have!

Great job on the pickup!! Red your post a while ago, and saw the air suspension! Real bad ass, and very convenient for putting your Ducati on the back. What kind of engine do you have? And did you make some modifications to it?

This Sunday there is a Japan Classic Sunday. To bad that it is a Piaggio, but it is a Japanese design Wink If you ask them, perhaps you can join as well if you want to.

It looks like a completed project already. Or do you have some new plans for it?
PvdB
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by V-Low on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm

Yes, the rear fenders are the same as yours. I have the 220mm wide fenders.

The engine is a 1.3 16V with a K&N air filter and sports muffler. It runs great on the circuit, thanks to the short gear ratio. I went to Viva Italia last year and did a 20min tracktime session. Maybe if I show the Daihatsu logo on the engine, I can go to Japan Classic Sunday.

The only plan left at this time is a sliding window on the rear window to keep it cool inside. Like the ones on race and rally cars.
V-Low
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Thats a nice bumper conversion, looks well and a nice bit of plastic welding too.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by PvdB on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Remove your piaggio logo's and get your ass over tomthe Japan Classic Sunday :p

But realy, if you want to joint just send those guys an email. They are pretty mellow on the rules in my opinion.
PvdB
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:44 am

nice work Cool
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by V-Low on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:54 am

I can't go this weekend. Lot of things to do. Maybe a other meeting...
V-Low
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PvdB on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:11 am

Otherwise we need to organize our own Dutch Micro Van/Truck meeting Wink
There are more dutch people on this forum than I expected... nice to see so much people with the same enthusiasm for these little machines on wheels (sorry not allowed to call them cars according to my colleges) Razz
PvdB
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by V-Low on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:58 pm

PvdB, I like that Dutch Micro Van meeting idea. That would be great!

This week I'm working on the cooling system of my Porter. I'm tired of that half year fixes, so it's time for a complete redesign. Bleeding the system is a total nightmare, but you guys already know that. Last year, replaced the bottom pipe, thermostat, water pump and rad caps. Also replaced the original radiator with a 4 core classic Mini racing radiator. The system pressure tested, all watertight. It worked very well, the temp gauge always in the middle.

Now it's starting to get to hot again, after I started using the heater valve switch. I think the heater causes the problems when bleeding the system, because it's the highest point in the system. I'm going to remove the heater and connect the pipes directly to each other. Not using the heater anyway Smile . This way it has a constant flow and no air getting stuck in the heater when bleeding the system. The overflow pipe of the radiator will go to a second expansion tank, slightly above the radiator. I hope this will solve the overheating problems permanently.
V-Low
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:49 pm

That's a cracker of a radiator. Would have thought you should get better cooling with that than half way though. Keep us updated how you get on.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Dikke toeter! I have one of those on the to do list as well. F-ing long list...
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

Post by V-Low on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:48 am

The cooling system is finished and it works very well. Initially, the plan was to bypass the heater by connecting in and outlet to each other. I've decided to change that by using a second smaller radiator. The second radiator is fitted to pipes of the heater hoses. This will make a good circulation possible and also will cool constantly (a little).

I've found this little ATV radiator with fan

The pipe diameters are exactly the same as the heater ones. It fits nicely next to my other radiator

All the overflow pipes are connected to a second expansion tank

The tank is located behind the left headlight, because it's the highest point in the system. Also this is easy accessible by removing only the headlight mask. My new bumper has no removable grill like the original has. Before that I had to remove the whole bumper to check the radiator coolant level.

Bleeding the system is easy. Bleed the radcap under the seat, the bottom radiator and than the bigger radiator. The remaining air bubbles go to the second expansion tank. After cooling down, you only top of the radiator and second tank.
V-Low
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Excellent job! Do you still have a heater in that system then or has that been bypassed?
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top