what ever could have gone wrong???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what ever could have gone wrong???

Post by neil on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:40 pm

hi folk's, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my predicament, I have a 59 plate Piaggio Porter, micro bus, now the fan belt snapped and the wee thing overheated, I replaced the belt thinking that everything would be ok, a short journey and approaching home, and there was a small pop, and a massive plume of smoke was visible in the rear view mirror, at one point I thought I was going to have to phone the fire brigade, but it abated, and now I feel that I may have cooked the engine a bit, it still turns over as in the flywheel turns when turning the ignition,
my initial thoughts are that I have blown the head gasket, and if so does this mean that the engine would need to be dropped in order to perform surgery??????
I don't have these skills, and I may find myself advertising it on your sale page as spares or repairs!,
Help!!!!!! many thank's in advance!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Re: what ever could have gone wrong???

Post by bendillon on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Sounds like you've cooked it mate...

If you have blown the head gasket, you don't need to drop the engine, can take the head of in situ, get that skimmed, then redo the gaskets and do everything up! provided you've not screwed anything else up in the process.

Mine cooked itself a few months back, decided to swap the whole engine out, as it worked out cheaper and easier in the end (had various other problems too). There are PLENTY of people on this forum who have overheating problems, you're definitely not alone.

I also had a 'big bang' on mine, turned out that the timing was done wrong and all the valves went. Won't know until you take the head off though! I'd never touched an engine before, and I managed it, so if you persevere and give it a go you should be alright!

Good luck...
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by neil on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:46 pm

thank you for your reply!

neil
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:45 am

No worries! I hope it's just a simple head gasket job, it's not as scary as it sounds!

Let us know what you decide to do, and I hope you can keep her on the road!
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:31 pm

I would not like to speculate on the cause or the solution to your problem.

Without a thorough inspection and test it would be foolish to suggest any pie in the sky theories.

But I wish you all the best with it.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top