LPG plumbing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LPG plumbing

Post by buttondup on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:50 pm

Trying to get my dual fuel pickup running on LPG again as the vaporizer was disconnected by the dealers I purchased from as it appears the inner mechanisms had failed allowing coolant to mix in with the gas.
There is now a brand new vaporizer (Poliauto C4 72) but I have not plumbed it into the coolant lines.
From what I can gather, it wants to be in parallel with the Engine block so I assume I need to fit a tee piece into the coolant hose going into the engine block and connect up the vaporizer return line, and then connect another tee-piece onto the coolant hose going from the engine and connect this to the vaporizer feed.
Can anyone confirm this is correct for their LPG systems?
Is there a good reason why it shouldn't be fit in series with the engine?
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Re: LPG plumbing

Post by Raggy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:10 am

Have you downloaded the two LPG manuals that may help posted up by higlyjetted?
Link to Download Thread
Look down the list till you get to Prinshijetlpg
Hope they help
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 pm

thanks, been trawling through all the really helpful information posted on the forum of user's experiences lately but haven't come by those manuals yet. Smile
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:00 pm

nope, there is nothing in that manual unfortunately.
Can anyone with an LPG help me out?
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:00 pm

pretty please Surprised
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:27 am

I have LPG that is still plumed in (not used in ages as tank sprung a leak) I'm not really sure what bits your talking about but if you are able to get a picture so I can see where you are talking about I could try and take a picture of mine for comparison
elfin girl
Cinquecento

https://www.facebook.com/bydonellamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:32 am

Thanks Elfin Girl
This is how my reducer looks

To the right side of the reducer where I have placed a short length of hose joining the coolant feed and return to the reducer to prevent any crud getting in is where I would like to know the plumbing connections to the coolant circuit are connected.
It is quite hard to get a clear pic in situ owing to the awkward location.
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:15 am

Ok, im out at rewind festival later, I'll see what I'm capable of on Sunday and get back to you!
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:30 am

swell
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:17 am

One is hooked in next to the bleed nipple - the pipe that goes to the heater matrix to the metal pipe next to the thermostat.

The other is fitted with a big alloy T in the top hose from the cylinder head to the radiator.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 pm

So, there has been another episode on my largely futile quest to restore my LPG system to full working order - i have been (twice) to see Chris at DorsetLPG with the objective of achieving of functional tank.  The first visit, I was carrying the best replacement tank I could find but which was an inch or so too large but also a single hole variant that proved too much of an obstacle to fit correctly.  If the hole was at one end, there was not enough clearance from the gearbox and at the other end required extra length of various dongles connected to it.
Not a problem however, the corrosion is not too bad on the original so it should be a question of replacing the fill stopper (the faulty part that was stuck closed, it's seal and a new filler hose - parts he didn't currently possess.  Not a problem, he would order said parts and fit the following week requiring another 100 mile round journey (but with the promise of cheap fuel at the end!!)

All went well, the tank is now full (empty before, though level sender still reports one red light - faulty wiring?) but I couldn't get the van running stably on LPG.  It ticks over and will accept very light throttle but any more and it stalls.  Doing my own process of elimination, I have discovered that the little stepper motor valve with the wiring harness connected to it is not opening properly, looking into it there is a small gap to the right of the little piston that I presume the gas is getting through.  Gas comes out of the reducer without it connected (and engine immediately stalls obviously) Without the wiring harness connected - thus not receiving the pulse from the computer to open it, it runs as before, ie ticks over very quietly and dies with any throttle.  So it is either that the little electronic valve has become stuck with being open to the elements for so long, or the computer is not functioning/wiring fault.

As I said before I replaced the fuses but with an unknown rating (7.5A I think was the largest I had ready - perhaps it is too low?)
If anyone can help/has a spare little mixer valve I would be forever grateful.  I may even come and tidy your garden (my vocation, for which the infernal little machine is immensely useful) should you wish!!
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Well I took off the stepper motor valve, unscrewed the end and the little piston inside was stuck, I unscrewed it and it winds around freely now. It now runs ok on gas, to a point.....after a few minutes, the lights flash 3 times continually and it cuts back to petrol (the prins hijet manual indicates this happens when it is running too rich although it says this under the AFS3 section whereas the version I have is AFS2 though I guess it's likely the same thing)

Now before all this palaver with the gas, the EML would always come on when the engine was warm and idling and the code would be slow Lambda sensor reading - I know it isn't either of the sensors as they have both been replaced and to confound the situation, I suspect my thermostat has been stuck open as the gauge barely gets beyond the cold zone.

My theory is that as the engine temperature is not consistent, the lambda feedback loop is a little out of whack and especially so when running on gas as the fuel adjustment is a lot less precise and the little AEB246 emulator that makes the ECU think it is still controlling the fuel trim cannot cope with the aberrant readings.

So where I'm at is trying to replace the thermostat, get the engine up to it's optimal temp, improving mpg and hopefully correcting the lambda issues but the thermostat housing bolts ARE STUCK which leaves me in a quandary - I don't want to break them off as I believe the only solution would then be to drill and retap the holes. Thanks to HJ's pictures of http://hijet.findtalk.biz/t1006-mr-angry-now-owns-2-over-heating-hijets, my mechanic thinks that 2 of the holes would be possible to fix down with a nut and bolt though not sure about the third (on the passenger side)
On the plus side, I was able to get the very same thermostat being cleared out on ebay for £3.30 - bargain hey?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311599642174?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Mon May 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Sorry I forgot to reply Embarassed seems you've got that bit sorted now anyway. The rest is gobbledygook to me! Hope your all up and running properly now
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Mon May 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi Elfin_girl, pleased to hear that someone acknowledges my futile toils!
Got the new thermostat in place, to no avail but I have since learnt that I can prolong the gas operation by tapping the throttle so the computer never has time to adjust the gas/air mix to hit the stoichiometric ideal - so, this confirms the faulty stepper motor/venturi which I seek desperately from any vehicle that is being broken.
This German site (and official importer/distributor for Prins) supposedly has new ones, but won't deal with the general public
http://www.gasteile.de/LPG-Anlagen/POLIAUTO/Poliauto-Prins-Step-Motor-Venturi.html?listtype=search&searchparam=%20prins%20venturi
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Sat May 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Oh, would they sell it to a garage or mechanic? Or are they only dealing within Germany?
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Sat May 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Yes, you're right - I thought of asking an LPG servicing mechanic to order one for me but not an everyday mechanic. I think they would ship to UK but I am reluctant to ask a tradesperson to order one as I can't see there would be anything in it for them (it is only a case of unscrewing jubilee clips and reconnecting to replace the old one.)
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sat May 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Surely a few beer tokens would be worth it just to get them to order the part for you.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Sat May 13, 2017 11:16 pm

yep, gotta be worth a try
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Sun May 21, 2017 9:42 pm

So I asked one of my native German speaking clients to help me out with this one and she sent the company an email stating the circumstances and lo and behold they responded early the following working day wanting some address and payment details from me. I gave them this and they priced the part at 40 euros including postage - very reasonable indeed.
Got it Friday gone (4 days turnaround - that's German efficiency!) and although the outlet hose fitting diameter has increased, I managed to jam the old smaller hose onto it and get the jubilee tightened.
It now WORKS!!!
I can run on gas without it switching over to petrol when cruising.
I am happy as Larry that the year long project finally has the final jigsaw piece to come together.
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Mon May 22, 2017 6:58 am

That's brilliant news, well done! Now time to start enjoying cheap fuel and a reliable van. Now it's fixed though, don't be a stranger on here, keep popping back.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri May 26, 2017 2:19 pm

buttondup wrote:It now WORKS!!!
I can run on gas without it switching over to petrol when cruising.

Well done on pursuing your troubles and succeeding where most fail.

LPG is an area where the trade tries to scare folk away from getting involved.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top